PDA

View Full Version : Axis or 2nd gen X-Star?

Dskvy0
07-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Ok guys I currently own a 2007 X2 but looking to upgrade to 22ft. I recently got a chance to go out with a few pro riders and they were talking highly about the A22 wake. Has anyone had experience behind both A22 & 03-up X-star?

My budget is 50k

Axis boats are simple and not a lot of bling and the 2014s are getting surf gate.

I'm a Mastercraft diehard, but think they are pricing theirselves out of the core market.

I'm mainly concerned about the wake because I have two young rippers progressing really fast.

Aric'sX15
07-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Id rather have a 97 x star than an axis. The windshields are uglyer than heck. The towers suck and the interiors suck even worse. Wake is good, but nothing on a 2nd gen x star

dobber
07-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Ride behind it, and judge for yourself. What is the dealer like? That can kill any boat ownership experience.

JRW160
07-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Tough call. If you're on center hill, I assume your axis dealer is tnt and your mastercraft dealer is aquasport. I would go with tnt all the way.

I think I saw your boat at wakefest last weekend. A friend of mine owned your boat's twin, but his had the 2008 graphics.

Dskvy0
07-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Yep that was me. Me and my two boys got a chance to go out with JD Webb on the G23. After riding that wake it makes me want to upgrade.
I feel the same way about the dealers. Seems like every time I go in the Mastercraft dealer I feel out of place and the TNT guys are super helpful.
As I said I grew up around Mastercrafts and am a Mastercraft guy just thinking of jumping ship-but the Axis boats seem real cheap compared to what I'm used to-the wake would be the only real reason for the switch.

JRW160
07-28-2013, 01:11 AM
Aquasport/performance have been mostly useless in my experience. They manage to take way longer than expected and still get everything wrong.

If an axis would fit in my garage, I would already own one. There are plenty of haters who will nit pick the axis about irrelevant stuff, but for the money it's a great boat. Great wake and tons of room inside. I bet there were 4 axis boats to every mastercraft at wakefest this year.

bamabonners
07-28-2013, 01:58 AM
MC all the way on this one.

Axis is made very cheaply. Cheap tower, cheap dash, carpet, etc... Even the construction is not the same as other Malibus - no shoe box fit between hull and deck. I know Andrew at TNT - he is a good guy and runs a good dealership, but Axis is a cheap built boat. I would look at moomba before axis. Resale will be better wit x Star over Axis as well.

swatguy
07-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Quality wise a 2nd gen XStar is gonna blow away the axis. Although Axis really stepped up their game in 2013 the 2nd gen star, even an 04, will beat out the Axis. I would no longer classify the 2013/2014 Axis as cheaply made. 2010-2011 sure, but 2013-2014 they have upped their vinyl and hardware, as well as their dash. I would now call them simple not cheap. The boat is built with functionality in mind.

Wake wise I still think the 2nd gen X star is absolutely perfect. It's shape,size, and kick are unbeatable. The style and lines are the same as the star is super clean. As a pure wakeboat it is the dam sexiest machine on the water.

If u plan on surfing goofy at all though the Axis beats out the 2nd gen star hands down. Surfing ,especially goofy on a Star is rediculous. My OG 205v Star will beat out a 2nd gen star on the goofy side any day. Regular it's toss up. The axis tower though looks cheap is rock solid. Without a doubt axis quality wise will not compare. The hinges are weak, the materials are not to the standard, and the boat has an even lower profile in the water.

The Axis wakeboard wake is def legit. Great shape and pop. The other nice thing which I have not experienced first hand yet seems to be said by all is the wake is clean all the way down to 17-18mph. This is a huge bonus for those young rippers. The axis also beats out Star in roominess.

If u want a pure pro caliber wake machine hands down 2nd gen star. The quality of the boat is worth every penny. If u want a bit more versatility and room at the sacrifice of quality then Axis. Surfgate is a 2014 option on the Axis line which is also huge.

I will say this .......both boats need plenty over stock ballast to reach their potential.

Aric'sX15
07-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Ok guys I currently own a 2007 X2 but looking to upgrade to 22ft. I recently got a chance to go out with a few pro riders and they were talking highly about the A22 wake. Has anyone had experience behind both A22 & 03-up X-star?

My budget is 50k

Axis boats are simple and not a lot of bling and the 2014s are getting surf gate.

I'm a Mastercraft diehard, but think they are pricing theirselves out of the core market.

I'm mainly concerned about the wake because I have two young rippers progressing really fast.

Aquasport/performance have been mostly useless in my experience. They manage to take way longer than expected and still get everything wrong.

If an axis would fit in my garage, I would already own one. There are plenty of haters who will nit pick the axis about irrelevant stuff, but for the money it's a great boat. Great wake and tons of room inside. I bet there were 4 axis boats to every mastercraft at wakefest this year.
They do make an a20, which opted out is still gonna be in the high 50s according to the local dealer.

bturner2
07-28-2013, 09:36 AM
I'd be careful with taking the advice of the pro's while at a boat show or demo session. Make no mistake that they're there as a selling tool because that's how they maintain their sponsorship. Axis today, SN tomorrow and MC the following week will be the best depending on who's paying them and I'd bet a good sales job by a competent pro during a demo session could convince many of us of their current perspective of the product during the demo.

Next when comparing boats unless that wake is really that much better and your boys really need that wake to progress I'd be hard pressed to make an investment in a second tier boat that will not hold it's value anywhere near what a MC will. I realize that you want the best performance possible but let's not go jumping off the cliff on a subjective perspective on the world's best wake. Sometimes as we say around here it's not the arrow but the Indian behind it that drives the results. In other words if your boys don't have the talent all the wake in the world isn't going to make them world champions tomorrow. Talent and hard work is going to do that.

As to the dealer...... A lot of that is going to depend on how much you lean on them for your boating needs. Certainly if buying new you will want/need a dealer that can provide the support and warranty service at a professional level. If used and you do your own maintenance like most of us on this site do the dealer is more of a safety net for issues you wouldn't want to attempt yourself. I buy used and have only had one of my boats in once at a dealer for service in the past 20 years. Other than MasterCraft specific parts like decals, interior parts, etc I don't typically buy my parts from them as they are set up to do service and most items are set at MRSP pricing. I will say though that I am lucky on this as we do have a very good dealer (Action Water Sports) and I do support the dealer when possible by buying my gear from their Pro Shop whenever possible.

If on the other hand you turn most all your maintenance over to them along with other services like dock installation/removal then I'd be hard pressed to buy from a lame dealer regardless of the product and could be easily persuaded to purchase from one of the other tier one manufactures. I'd still stay away from the value boat market as these boat tend to lose value much quicker and can be harder to move later on.

That would be my 2 cents.......

Dskvy0
07-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna ride behind both and then make an educated decision. As far as resale it seems axis is holding value pretty well and the 2nd gen star is falling quite a bit from msrp.

VP46
07-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Your boys out grew that pretty x-2 in your profile pic? hah prove it. Axis holding resale? How many 10 yr old AXIS boats out there? You are using stats that can't be proven until they have aged. A 2 yr window is not a good indication of resale IMHO. (I want some semblance of reassurance that I own all time best)

BTW have a buddy with an axis, they seem to like it but still felt compelled to sell me on why it was a great boat. I don't know why they felt that way but it started the moment I mentioned I had a 10+ yr old MC.

Resale. It's a tough nut to crack.

501s
07-28-2013, 05:03 PM
I think the axis hold their values because every year the price keeps going up. This is actually a pretty fair comparison. Both have awesome wakes and motors. So you are choosing between newer but lower quality or older but the highest quality. Like a new Chevy SUV or a used Mercedes SUV. Both are great, people just have different preferences.

Resale with be great on both boats but as the industry moves more and more toward surfing (insert "wah wah wah" sound effect), I think that may give the axis a little edge in 5 years. Also a better seating layout and more cabin space is an advantage.

zamboniman
07-28-2013, 05:06 PM
I think you may be selling your existing boat a bit short. What are you looking to gain in the 22'. Sure the wake may be a bit better but its not like you're riding junk today. The xstar option isn't gaining much interior room over the x2. I recently went through this exercise and ended up with an x2 over both the a22 and a20. Primarily because I feel I got a much better boat overall for less money at the time. Does the axis make a better wake.. probably.. but that is where it ends. That said I can't say my x2 wake is holding me back either. Its a fun boat that is pretty versatile with tons of room for its size. The fact you're already rolling one is even more compelling in my mind... I'd stick with it unless there was a major reason to switch it up. Like needing more room which the star isn't going to provide and you'll be limiting yourself with versatility like surfing. Also the x2 handles rough water reasonably well so consider that if your area gets chop.

get_sum
07-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Love my A22! The wake is simply amazing, even without weight and all the way down to 17 mph. The surf wave is pretty good on reg side, I haven't been able to dial in goofy, but I don't ride that side. As far as tower, mine is rock solid. Fit and finish is on par with CC and Malibu. Engine is an Indmar 330hp, so no issues there. I personally like the straight vinyl due to its simplicity and ease of re-skinning, which should be fairly easy since I've taken off a few panels to access some parts of the boat and it looks straight forward to do. The speed control is simple and works every time. Automated plug and play ballast is simple and straight forward. I plan on adding a reversible pump to make switching surf sides easier and I may also add two pair of 1100 GPH pumps to shorten the fill and drain times to the rear bags. I have absolutely no complaints! My boat gets compliments every time I go out and very person who has rode behind mine, loves the wake! Surfgate will only make these boats sell more.

Good luck in your decision... Just wanted to show you the "other" side.

Jerseydave
07-28-2013, 11:38 PM
I was on Lyman's Axis 22 when he got it a few years ago. Great wake with extra ballast. It likes a lot of weight in the nose, so you really have to watch taking water over the bow...even more than the X-star.

Materials, fit and finish, quality of components all go to MC.

I think there are some great deals to be found on '06 and newer X-stars. Don't go older than '06 because of vinyl issues. If you can find a 6.0 X-star that's the best combo.

I love my '05! I run 2600# total ballast and the wake is great!

VP46
07-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks for bringing up Vinyl issues.. I keep hearing about the vinyl issues with older MC boats. My vinyl is near perfect so someone please please tell me what issues I should have had occur now in the 11th yr of the life of my boat (I've only had for 2 yrs)?

Redstorm
07-28-2013, 11:54 PM
I was on Lyman's Axis 22 when he got it a few years ago. Great wake with extra ballast. It likes a lot of weight in the nose, so you really have to watch taking water over the bow...even more than the X-star.

Materials, fit and finish, quality of components all go to MC.

I think there are some great deals to be found on '06 and newer X-stars. Don't go older than '06 because of vinyl issues. If you can find a 6.0 X-star that's the best combo.

I love my '05! I run 2600# total ballast and the wake is great!

Sweet lookin XS!!

Jerseydave
07-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Thanks for bringing up Vinyl issues.. I keep hearing about the vinyl issues with older MC boats. My vinyl is near perfect so someone please please tell me what issues I should have had occur now in the 11th yr of the life of my boat (I've only had for 2 yrs)?

I don't think everyone had vinyl issues, and perhaps the problems were '03-'05.
Mine had cracking all around the thread areas, mostly the cushions that everyone steps on. The rest of my vinyl is fine.

303 is your best friend to protect your vinyl! :D

willyt
07-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Love my A22!...... As far as tower, mine is rock solid. Fit and finish is on par with CC and Malibu.

Good luck in your decision... Just wanted to show you the "other" side.

i call owners BS on this. get on malibucrew and see what they say about that... axis is malibu's budget brand, and especially with a 2010, sorry man your fit and finish is NO WHERE near malibu's main models or CC.

its like saying a honda is as nice as an acura or a scion is as nice as a toyota, or a toyota is as nice as a lexus, doesnt work dude.

I have a star, yes, and i absolutely love my wake - cant imagine wanting anything more.

as for the surfgate comment... go out and demo it. From people that have actually ridden surfgate (including 3 current malibu owners) - they all have been very underwhelmed and disappointed by the system (NSS, not so)

swatguy
07-29-2013, 02:38 AM
I would also argue on the its on par with Bu and CC. While hull build only is right on par, the components, materials, and hardware is all lees than top end. There is a lot o plastic n rubber used in spaces n odd parts to fill in gaps that just are not there in the Bu's n CC's. when Axis builds boats it does not pull identical Bu parts off the shelf and bolt them on. The hinges are a lesser grade steel and strength. It's the components, dashboard, and gap filling plastics that really cut the cost. The fit n finish is def one step down. While not garbage by any means it is just lesser .

As far as surfgate. Having experience finally with surfgate, NSS and the MC tabs the Correct Craft NSS makes the most difference by far. surfgate is hard to explain. It really changes the pocket shape more than the actual size from my experience. It helps shape the pocket and move it furthe back. It doesn't make the wake bigger on the scale it claims. Even with surfgate we still weight it with a list to get the biggest wave possible behind the 23LSV I ride behind.

One last thing I almost forgot. The vinyl issue was pretty much industry wide in 00-04. There were some EPA thinks added and really effected the quality from distributors of vinyl.

bturner2
07-29-2013, 09:05 AM
I don't have any experience with the Axis on the water and can't comment there. I have however seen the boats at the spring and fall shows and have had a chance to discuss the build quality with the dealer while looking over the boats. If you really believe that the build quality is on par with the tier one boats from any of the top three you're.....

A.) Working for Axis
B.) Not telling the truth
C.) Have no idea what to look for
D.) Have no attention for detail
E.) All of the above

Our local BU dealer was quick to point out differences in build quality and materials used in the construction. He also stated that this is a price point line and as such was built to meet the design and price point objectives. Does this mean it's a bad boat...... absolutely not. But let's not go off pumping up this boat to be something it's not. From what I saw at the show build quality was on par with the Moomba and Supra lines which I thought was pretty darn good, just not over the top like the tier one boats.

There's a reason there is a price difference between the tier one boats and the Axis and not all of it is "the name" on the boat which is what I'd expect the next comment is going to be. That's where people selling inferior products always go. They use lines like..... our product is just as good, your just paying for the name and the resale will be just as good because you're paying less to start with. Well maybe but in the last 25 years I've owned 4 used MasterCrafts and have yet to sell any of them for less than what I paid for them. You'd be hard pressed to say that of the typical Moomba or Supra owner's experience. I would expect to see Axis follow the later trend.