PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal in court....

Farmer Ted
10-13-2005, 12:17 AM
to be cruising through the witnesses and a couple of other lawyers come in and sit down in the cheap seats, then all of a sudden the Judge "pauses" the trial in progress to pick up where he left off on not 1 , not 2, but 3 different trials.

Maybe Dougy or some other solicitor out there can help a brother out?

shepherd
10-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Was that in Louisiana? You never know about the law in that place. When I was in law school, I don't know how many times I heard the phrase "except in Louisiana..." :cool:

Don't think it's necessarily "normal" but in some areas the judge is GOD in his courtroom and can pretty much run it however he wants. There are usually certain local procedural rules they are supposed to follow...

I'm not a trial attorney, just my :twocents:

Farmer Ted
10-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Arkansas

and it was just a little frustrating since a continuance was requested prior to the trial date, denied....and guess what it got continued anyway.

gotta love judges

at least I got to hang out with the Wildman all day :D

east tx skier
10-13-2005, 04:52 AM
Shepherd, I don't think I could've said it better myself (add Arkansas to that list). Tim, I'll bet that was frustrating. I wouldn't go so far to say it was normal. And I don't know that I can recall it happening in my presence. But it doesn't shock my delicate sensibilities either. Hate it for you, man. But like you said, you got a little Wildman in your day.

Farmer Ted
10-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Shepherd, I don't think I could've said it better myself (add Arkansas to that list). Tim, I'll bet that was frustrating. I wouldn't go so far to say it was normal. And I don't know that I can recall it happening in my presence. But it doesn't shock my delicate sensibilities either. Hate it for you, man. But like you said, you got a little Wildman in your day.

Thanks Dougy!

Little man have you up this late?

tex
10-13-2005, 11:35 AM
When I was a court officer, we had 4 judges in our courthouse, It was pretty normal activity. It actually kept our docket moving.

Ric
10-13-2005, 11:50 AM
When I was a court officer, we had 4 judges in our courthouse, It was pretty normal activity. It actually kept our docket moving.
tex, were you the big guy the judge sent walking through the courtroom looking for that one renegade cell phone that kept ringing?

east tx skier
10-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks Dougy!

Little man have you up this late?

Sort of. He was asleep by the time I made my way to the computer. I was just hankerin' for some board time.

tex
10-13-2005, 12:09 PM
no, i was the probation officer who had to remove parents who let their 18 month old pee on the swinging door. also the one who had to tackle 16 year olds who tried to attack the judge or prosecutor.

Ric
10-13-2005, 12:10 PM
no, i was the probation officer who had to remove parents who let their 18 month old pee on the swinging door. also the one who had to tackle 16 year olds who tried to attack the judge or prosecutor.
I bet you can tell some stories about those days. :noface:

milkmania
10-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Arkansas

and it was just a little frustrating since a continuance was requested prior to the trial date, denied....and guess what it got continued anyway.

gotta love judges

at least I got to hang out with the Wildman all day :D

think no more of it.......

I got screwed in Arkansas too:(

how far you guys from Mena?

ryanbush
10-13-2005, 12:38 PM
think no more of it.......

I got screwed in Arkansas too:(

how far you guys from Mena?

I was born in mena!!

Farmer Ted
10-13-2005, 12:41 PM
I was born in mena!!

Texarkana, so I guess about 45 minutes?

Ric
10-13-2005, 12:48 PM
I was born in mena!!
I spent many years visiting mena

you arkansas guys might know this but I wonder if the family who owns mc boats of Arkansas(Conway, AR) is from mena area.
I seem to remember some Whisenhuts from there??

tex, sorry for the threadjacks :eek:

LakePirate
10-13-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm in mensa if that helps. :cool:

ryanbush
10-13-2005, 03:08 PM
I spent many years visiting mena

you arkansas guys might know this but I wonder if the family who owns mc boats of Arkansas(Conway, AR) is from mena area.
I seem to remember some Whisenhuts from there??

tex, sorry for the threadjacks :eek:

I think joe and connie are orginally from the Little Rock, AR area, I thought he told me that one time but I could be wrong