PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Turn Left In Reverse

JIMMYH
09-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Have an 02 - X30. Can anyone explain the technical reasoning for not being able to turn left in reverse. Is it the rotation of the prop or ?? Dealer says thats typical.

Mag_Red
09-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Trust me on this Jim.............Just accept this fact ;) The 209 is my very first inboard after 25 years of outboards and I/O's. These boats just Do Not want to go to the left in reverse. Once you accept this peculiarity..........you will stop feeeling like a fool while trying to dock the boat ( my experience) Now, after 30 hours of ownership, I can dock the boat with the best of em. I always tie up on the drivers side, and if need be, I can spin this wonderful boat, with-in it's own length, to do so. :wavey:

rmc1
09-07-2004, 05:21 AM
easy to remember mastercraft backs right cc back left

sizzler
09-07-2004, 05:35 AM
there must be 20 MC's on our lake,and after a lifetime of o/b's i bought an X9...i wondered why they were all berthed up drivers side when we ski clockwise around our lake.......when itcame to docking i found out why....these boats dont reverse left

gene dobies
09-07-2004, 07:37 AM
Due to the location of the rudder which is behind the prop the rudder does nothing for backing up because there is no water being driven by it to steer. Different inboards go different directions in reverse depending on the prop.

MarkP
09-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Dude, Get used to it.. Embrace it and you will learn to love it..:toast:

bradamerry
09-07-2004, 08:47 AM
You will learn how to get around it. With a little throttle work and some time to play with it, it is possibly to get it backing up to the left. There was another thread on this somewhere?

Leroy
09-07-2004, 09:13 AM
I think everyone goes through this and maybe I can suggest a practical sticker, you know the remote control cars that have the arrows pointing in all directions, left, right, forward, backward, put that on the dash, but remove left and backwards! :uglyhamme

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Jim, not too much to add. Just use it to your advantage. In tight spots, don't give it too much throttle when going in reverse, and the pull won't be so drastic. Then, turn your wheel to the right, and nudge the throttle forward a bit to pull the rear end back to center.

AirJunky
09-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Take a look at where your rudder is located, off to one side. That is why they don't go to the left very well.
Now that I've been driving the same inboard for several years, I've figured out how to give short bursts of throttle with the steering wheel turned hard right. This will make your back end swing left & then you can hit reverse lightly to back up. Definitely harder than going to the right but it works for those few times you need it to.

MasterCrafting
09-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Imboards dont do reverse :woohoo:

H20skeefreek
09-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Imboards dont do reverse :woohoo:

don't know much about imboards :D but i turned a left clockwise turn to the reverse the other day (180degrees) in my inboard, took forever but i did it to say i could.

jimmer2880
09-08-2004, 07:30 AM
Get used to it.... I am probably wrong here - but I thought the reasoning was because of the rotation of the prop. Nautique's turn their props the other direction - hence their oppsite pull in reverse.