PDA

View Full Version : Bow Strap for Pylon Extension

Snipe
07-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Has anyone here made their own Bow Strap to hold a pylon extension? I have the extension, but no strap. I also am not sure how it is attached to to the front and the function of the sleeve I see on many straps. I'm guessing it is protecting some kind of adjusting tensioner.
Or.....if not toooo pricey, where to order one.
Thanks all.....:)

clrussell
07-27-2013, 12:04 PM
You have no cable and rachet or just missing the strap that goes around the bow and attaches to the cable?

madcityskier
07-27-2013, 12:38 PM
A regular ratchet strap should work. Cover is more decorative in my experience.

supturb89
07-27-2013, 12:57 PM
The cover is pretty much the same size as the cover on my trailer guide posts. Should be easy enough to find one of those. ;)

mzimme
07-27-2013, 12:58 PM
The BI fly highs don't actually have a ratchet. They have a weird tensioner with set screws to get it pretty tight, then what looks like a ratchet strap is actually just another tensioner of sorts to really tighten up the pole. The skylons actually use a ratchet apparatus. The big pad just hides all of the extra cable and tenioning set screw dealy-bob so they're not flopping all over. The part that you run through the bow ring feels like a really strong fabric. Not sure exactly what it is, but anything that wont scratch your boat and can hold a heavy load should work fine for that section.

MI_Corey
07-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Mcmaster Carr will have everything you need except the cover. Any shock tube or trailer guide pad will work for your cover. I had to replace all mine after dropping it overboard.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Mine came with the cables but no bow strap. I bought this at Northern tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/700x700/322/322828_700x700.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451246_200451246

Snipe
07-27-2013, 07:49 PM
You have no cable and rachet or just missing the strap that goes around the bow and attaches to the cable?
I have nothing; from the bow to the pylon. Does that really have to be super tight or just tight enough to keep the pylon from bending back? Thanks for all the help, but I still don't quite get how the strap goes through the winch ring in the front. :confused:

supturb89
07-27-2013, 07:59 PM
What kind of pylon do you have (Skylon, Fly-high)??? I have a Skylon and it has about a six foot length of rubber coated steel cable that comes out of the pylon itself. This cable attaches to the ratcheting assembly that reaches to the bow. The bow strap has loops on each end. You thread the strap through the bow eye and attach each looped end to the ratchet.

Snipe
07-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Just got this thing and am away from the logo (this week end)that's an the pylon. It does NOT have the cable coming out of the pylon, so I need to find something that I can attach to BOTH ends. I'm getting the idea, but the fog has not completely lifted yet.:oI

kyfooter
07-27-2013, 09:12 PM
You can make or buy all the parts you need.

Buy a cable and clamp the end with ferrules. You can pop the top of the skylon off, feed the cable through, and then crimp one end. Pull it back tight, an put the top cap back on. Then, put a Small loop in the exposed end.

Buy 2" webbing strap to wrap around the bow. Use thick thread, in a crisscross pattern to sew loops in the strap.

Then, just use an ordinary ratchet strap to keep solid tension to the pylon.

For less than $25, you're set.

The foam covering is not necessary. Neither the cable nor the ratchet will hit the boat.