PDA

View Full Version : Best Mastercarft surf boat (pre 2010)??

tfalcon
07-27-2013, 10:34 AM
I currently have a 04 x10 which my family primarily uses for surfing. I have owned it for the last 2 seasons. It has what people have called an above average wake. The problem with the boat is that it keeps having mechanical issues that cause serious grief in our holidays. I am looking at selling and buying a newer mastercraft, but don't know what models in the 2010 and older area ( due to price) offer the best surfing. I see some offer surf tabs etc. and don't know if that makes much difference????
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

willyt
07-27-2013, 11:01 AM
just guessing, but id have to imagine the X45 is probably the best bet for something like that. they started making them in 2005

93Prostar190
07-27-2013, 10:56 PM
2007 or newer X2

mzimme
07-27-2013, 11:31 PM
X30 seems to do well also.

bjames
07-29-2013, 12:11 PM
X25 were available in 2010. They were considered to have the best surf wake and wakeboard wake was second to the Xstar.

And you can get the X25 with the classic 4 point ZFT3.

scott023
07-29-2013, 12:12 PM
just guessing, but id have to imagine the X45 is probably the best bet for something like that. they started making them in 2005

I'd second that, especially for pre-2010.

CantRepeat
07-29-2013, 01:02 PM
2007 or newer X2

I wouldn't put the X2 anywhere near the surf wake as the X30 or 45.

I've never worked with or surfed a 45 or 25 but I can tell you the 06 and newer X30 makes a very nice surf boat.

psbudz
07-29-2013, 01:41 PM
My '06 Maristar 215 w/ 800lbs in the starbord locker, while not a large wave, creates a nice and long sweet spot. I do believe the swim patform is interfereing with the wave a bit though.

swatguy
07-29-2013, 03:27 PM
X30 x45 are the two top.

I have to ask tho. If surfing is a priority why limit yourself to MC? I understand the name and quality believe me I do, but MC really doesn't have a boat until recently that can compete with other mfg surf waves. So if you are really concerned about the best possible surf wave performance pm me.

93Prostar190
07-29-2013, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't put the X2 anywhere near the surf wake as the X30 or 45.

I've never worked with or surfed a 45 or 25 but I can tell you the 06 and newer X30 makes a very nice surf boat.\

CantRepeat .. you are right ... I took the price side of the initial posters question a little too deep and got too lazy to clarify on my Ipad keyboard :) shame on me.

I think the 2007 X2 is remarkable because it responds so well to little changes in the weight .... (I think the smaller length of the boat helps make it easier to tune) with just a few people in the right spot and the extra sac in the port rear it really makes a nice wake ... the pocket may not be as long as those other big boats ... but for a versatile surf wake in a pre 2010 form factor ... I like it .... I am sure the X30 is better .... price performance surf wake?

I am not a surfing expert ... just learning in the past few years with some of the cool people I have met on TT ....

tfalcon
07-29-2013, 06:15 PM
That's a good question.
I enjoy the mastercraft I have but ultimately I want a dependable boat that offers a very good to great wake. I would like to hear what boats you think fit into that catagory.
Thanks

TayMC197
07-29-2013, 06:18 PM
The best surf boat ever is the ocean!! Why do people buy boats to surf only. Very few people are good enough to do cool tricks surfing, everyone else just stands there. Look at me and can stand on a huge board and hold a drink. Watch out xgames.. I've surfed before and it was fun for a little bit while my femur and hip where healing back together and couldn't do anything else but to spend that much money to do only that. Spend 1k and ballast out a boat you actually like to provide the wake you want for the 20 minutes you surf.

Lol I'm done ranting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

tfalcon
07-29-2013, 08:01 PM
My primary use is surfing. Which is my decision. I wasn't aware I needed your permission.
Next time I'll make sure I get your approval.

hkyplyr31
07-29-2013, 09:27 PM
The best surf boat ever is the ocean!! Why do people buy boats to surf only. Very few people are good enough to do cool tricks surfing, everyone else just stands there. Look at me and can stand on a huge board and hold a drink. Watch out xgames.. I've surfed before and it was fun for a little bit while my femur and hip where healing back together and couldn't do anything else but to spend that much money to do only that. Spend 1k and ballast out a boat you actually like to provide the wake you want for the 20 minutes you surf.

Lol I'm done ranting

you buy a boat so you dont have to paddle...

Jcgarwood
07-29-2013, 10:21 PM
I have 2006 x15 with an extra 1200 lbs off hard lined ballast that is a great surf boat. I have it for sale for 45 and if you're interested in learning more just give me a call at 5014425371. Boat is red and white with upgraded target reticule 08 graphics, 240 hours, mcx350, VERY good condition plus lots of gear. Naked tower so add you favorite stuff, or add surf tabs to have a ridiculous wake! Boat is in Arkansas, always dealer serviced, buy now and enjoy it this season!

CantRepeat
07-29-2013, 10:35 PM

Lol I'm done ranting

You sound mildly upset but I'm betting no one cares.

It seems you can ski down the face of waves in Hawaii so why do you have a boat?

Do you really give a flying crap what others do with their money or their life? If you do then you probably need to get a new one yourself or run on over to wakeworld and have at it with the rest of the better then me crowd.

TayMC197
07-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Not meaning it in a better than me attitude. I mean it as in find a boat you and your family like and ballast it out for another 1k to make the surf wake you like. Getting opinions on a surf wake to determine what you by is a bad move. People prefer different style surf wakes. So buying an x45 based on the surf wake alone is stupid when you love an x2 or 205, etc. and can easily have a great surf wake.

I could slalom a ocean wave if they could figure out a way to setup a course.

I slalom, so I wanted a slalom boat, price range, size, looks, etc. led me to a 197. But for me to buy that boat because somebody says it has the best slalom wake is stupid. That's still someone opinion.

Find something that makes you happy and modify it to surf. Surfing isn't a sport that requires a surf approved boat. Honestly a 2001 xstar with 250 bucks worth of ballast had the best surf wake yet. I wouldn't buy the boat for that factor cause it may not meet my immediate needs. Perhaps the x30 does, simple addition and another awesome surf boat.

Moral. Find what you love, add ballast or be happy with what it already does.

TayMC197
07-30-2013, 05:45 PM
My primary use is surfing. Which is my decision. I wasn't aware I needed your permission.
Next time I'll make sure I get your approval.

I'll let it slip this time, next time you'll owe me a bucket of friend chicken. Today's going rate. Lol

Again you don't need my permission or anyone else's. buy what you love And make it do what you want if it doesn't already.

In truth a barge throws the best surf wake headed up river. Your wife might not like the amount of room it takes up I'm the driveway though. Lol

TayMC197
07-30-2013, 05:46 PM
you buy a boat so you dont have to paddle...

Close, I just really love payments. :-)

CantRepeat
07-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Right on Tay, bad read.

But yeah, go ski the pipeline man!!! :D:D:D

swatguy
07-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Not meaning it in a better than me attitude. I mean it as in find a boat you and your family like and ballast it out for another 1k to make the surf wake you like. Getting opinions on a surf wake to determine what you by is a bad move. People prefer different style surf wakes. So buying an x45 based on the surf wake alone is stupid when you love an x2 or 205, etc. and can easily have a great surf wake.

I could slalom a ocean wave if they could figure out a way to setup a course.

I slalom, so I wanted a slalom boat, price range, size, looks, etc. led me to a 197. But for me to buy that boat because somebody says it has the best slalom wake is stupid. That's still someone opinion.

Find something that makes you happy and modify it to surf. Surfing isn't a sport that requires a surf approved boat. Honestly a 2001 xstar with 250 bucks worth of ballast had the best surf wake yet. I wouldn't buy the boat for that factor cause it may not meet my immediate needs. Perhaps the x30 does, simple addition and another awesome surf boat.

Moral. Find what you love, add ballast or be happy with what it already does.

Sorry but your explanations make zero sense. Just cuz u dump 1500lbs of ballast in a boat doesn't make it surfable. There are huge discrepancies in boat wakes. There is a reason u own a 197 to ski. According to your argument any hull that goes 30nph should have a skiable course wake because the ballast is empty and you're doing ski speeds. Just not the case. Let me know how your pull behind a 45 would go. I love an 03-11 X star but trying to get that boat to surf goofy is absurd. You have to weigh priorities.

Same goes for wakeboarding wakes. Just cuz u slam a boat with 3 k of ballast doesn't mean it will throw a monster wake. You ski, he surfs, I do all 3. I sure as heck wouldn't recommend a Star for slalom or surfing , and I sure as heck wouldn't recommend a 197 to someone who just boards and surfs. Saying a 205v surf wave is all anyone needs to surf is precisely why I think you have your opinion on surfing. That wake pretty much only lets u do a few slashes and at best a 360. Get behind a true surf boat with a chest high curl, do some airs , shuv its and varials..........I am not saying it will change your thought of surfing but it may open your eyes to a different side on why a surf wave needs just as much attention a slalom and wakeboard wake. I say this as someone who wakeboards roughly 70% of time, slaloms 15 and surfs bout 15%

Most wakes are subjective once you get it narrowed down to the few boats that do what you want it. However if you were a newb wking into a dealership with 10-12 models on the floor your head would spin. Imagine doing that for every mfg you went to check out. It's gods to get a little research and narrow it down first.

TayMC197
07-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Sorry but your explanations make zero sense. Just cuz u dump 1500lbs of ballast in a boat doesn't make it surfable. There are huge discrepancies in boat wakes. There is a reason u own a 197 to ski. According to your argument any hull that goes 30nph should have a skiable course wake because the ballast is empty and you're doing ski speeds. Just not the case. Let me know how your pull behind a 45 would go. I love an 03-11 X star but trying to get that boat to surf goofy is absurd. You have to weigh priorities.

Same goes for wakeboarding wakes. Just cuz u slam a boat with 3 k of ballast doesn't mean it will throw a monster wake. You ski, he surfs, I do all 3. I sure as heck wouldn't recommend a Star for slalom or surfing , and I sure as heck wouldn't recommend a 197 to someone who just boards and surfs. Saying a 205v surf wave is all anyone needs to surf is precisely why I think you have your opinion on surfing. That wake pretty much only lets u do a few slashes and at best a 360. Get behind a true surf boat with a chest high curl, do some airs , shuv its and varials..........I am not saying it will change your thought of surfing but it may open your eyes to a different side on why a surf wave needs just as much attention a slalom and wakeboard wake. I say this as someone who wakeboards roughly 70% of time, slaloms 15 and surfs bout 15%

Most wakes are subjective once you get it narrowed down to the few boats that do what you want it. However if you were a newb wking into a dealership with 10-12 models on the floor your head would spin. Imagine doing that for every mfg you went to check out. It's gods to get a little research and narrow it down first.

I'm not recommending him buy a 197 or DD. I'm just saying anything between a 205v up can be modified easily for an enjoyable wake. So he can explore more options than buy a higher end boat soley for the surf wake.

I have slalomed behind a 04 xstar.. I wouldn't course ski with it but for recreation it's manageable.