PDA

View Full Version : What keeps you at your current company?

6ballsisall
10-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Just curious for my own edification as an employer.

What keeps you staying with your current employer?

Workin' 4 Toys
10-12-2005, 10:36 PM
BONUS TIME!!!! Thats it!!!!

RickDV
10-12-2005, 10:43 PM
I've been in various jobs at the same employer for 23 years. I've said from the beginning that I'll stick around until something better comes along. ;)

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 10:50 PM
I can't vote. It's the first four. :dance: Love my job.

bcampbe7
10-12-2005, 11:17 PM
I voted for #3 but would also vote for #2.

NeilM
10-12-2005, 11:22 PM
No button for 'Golden Handcuffs'. I can't walk out the door -- I'd be walking away from too big (for me, anyway- everything's relative) of a severance cheque.

(and, although some days I don't like to admit it, I like my job)

Farmer Ted
10-12-2005, 11:22 PM
I've got 360 days until I'm eligible to collect my 50%, I'll be staying around for another 4 at least (60%) and quite possibly 6 more (65%)
before I pull chocks.

I am finishing up my FAA A&P License in case something good comes up but I'm happy doing what I'm doing now.

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 11:27 PM
1. They pay for school
2. They pay for my Mastercraft
3. I am paid well for being in college.

Farmer Ted
10-12-2005, 11:42 PM
1. They pay for school
2. They pay for my Mastercraft
3. I am paid well for being in college.

I have a $37,000 scholarship (GI Bill) waiting for me when I do finally retire, it's certain to be more though. It was only $10,800 when I joined 19 years ago. :banana:

Oh yeah, best part I only put in $1200

tommcat
10-13-2005, 07:42 AM
while the pay isnt as good as other places and the facility itself is a dump i do get my run of the place and pretty much come and go as i please. that kind of freedom keeps me here despite the downsides.

Hoff1
10-13-2005, 08:30 AM
My pay is competitive
Benefits, vacations and holidays are better than average
Very little stress from management
Interesting industry that will be around forever
Good company with over 100 years of history and factories/offices around the world

But mostly,
I can spend all day on tmcowners

Leroy
10-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Great job Hoff1, where do I sign up?

My pay is competitive
Benefits, vacations and holidays are better than average
Very little stress from management
Interesting industry that will be around forever
Good company with over 100 years of history and factories/offices around the world

But mostly,
I can spend all day on tmcowners

Hoff1
10-13-2005, 08:53 AM
if you're really interested, trane.com

just don't tell them I sent you

Leroy
10-13-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm going to tell them you sent me and I need a really fast internet connection because I surf :dance: the MasterCraft message board all day! :D

if you're really interested, trane.com

just don't tell them I sent you

BriEOD
10-13-2005, 01:56 PM
I have a $37,000 scholarship (GI Bill) waiting for me when I do finally retire, it's certain to be more though. It was only $10,800 when I joined 19 years ago. :banana:

Oh yeah, best part I only put in $1200
It works great to Tim. You go to a website at the end of the month hit a few buttons and within 3 days you have the money. MAKE SURE you do the top up before you retire. It's well worth it.

BriEOD
10-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Hmmm...Free School, 30 days paid vacation, full med/dental, travel the world, great retirement plan...etc, etc...

shepherd
10-13-2005, 02:05 PM
... employee ski lake... :rolleyes:

BuoyChaser
10-13-2005, 03:36 PM
how many of you are stuck in a small family manufacturing business through marriage, with only slim hopes of one-day being tied to sales!!!

no flexibility to take a morning or afternoon to go skiing, but only have to put in 40hrs per week...

part of my essentail tasks is to search the internet, so at least get to check email and TMCOWNERS.COM all day...def'n some perks, but dealin' with people who know they'll never get fired, FRUSTRATIN'!!!

Ryan
10-13-2005, 04:33 PM
I chose paid well. In addition to working from home, I really stick around for the challange, opportunity and room for growth in my position. That sounds like such a cheesey job interview comment, but it's true. I could make more elsewhere, but I have some great directions to go now. So, Hope is a big factor for me then too. Responsibility and accountability can give pride in self and job. I never used to buy into the idea, but it is working for me.

OhioProstar
10-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Speaking of which....If anyone out there would make a good Sales Engineer for a security software company let me know. We are looking for canidates.

stevo137
10-13-2005, 05:45 PM
Great 200 year old worldwide quality driven company.
Great leadership and a great boss.
Team environment, mutual respect for each other including the entire leadership team.
Core values and ethics.
Freedom to do my job with minimum supervision.
Attractive compensation package.
Benefits. Medical, dental, profit sharing, 401k, new company car every 2 years, all expenses paid etc...
Enjoy entertaining customers, golf, lunch, dinners, etc.
Rarely need to travel, home almost every night.
Generous vacation, personal days, and holidays.
There are many long term employees who have worked for the company for 15-30 years and I can see myself working for them for a very long time...
Oh did I mention that I really like my job! :D

shepherd
10-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Stevo, did you forget one???:

Boss who likes to ski too and reads Team Talk regularly.

Just kidding. Sounds like a great job. What do you do? Are they hiring? :wavey:

PendO
10-13-2005, 11:34 PM
how many of you are stuck in a small family manufacturing business through marriage, with only slim hopes of one-day being tied to sales!!!

no flexibility to take a morning or afternoon to go skiing, but only have to put in 40hrs per week...

part of my essentail tasks is to search the internet, so at least get to check email and TMCOWNERS.COM all day...def'n some perks, but dealin' with people who know they'll never get fired, FRUSTRATIN'!!!

Mine is a family business with flexibility in scheduling so long as the "S" doesn't hit the fan. So far I have wasted a BS and a JD to be one helluva' office manager;) I supposed if you have a vested interest it would matter more ... I think that our employees stick around for the money relative to hours they work ... benefits are nice (med/dent) ... but I think there is just a cost benefit analysis that goes on with each indiv person.

Am I willing to do X for this much money?
Can I find a job that makes more money for less work?
Can I find a job that makes more money for more work (if so, is it worth the more work)?

My biggest fear for employees (mine and everyone elses) is that many live paycheck to paycheck. To many people have that "minimum monthly payment" obligation. NO matter how much money people make they always seem to find a way to put themselves in a precarious financial position should something happen to their employment or employability.

As a sidenote I think Student Loans are a huge burden on a lot of people, especially since they cannot be washed away with bankruptcy. The mob has nothing on the peeps who collect on defaulted student loans. IMO

stevo137
10-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Stevo, did you forget one???:

Boss who likes to ski too and reads Team Talk regularly.

Just kidding. Sounds like a great job. What do you do? Are they hiring? :wavey:
Shep, I am a Sr. Sales Rep and have been in sales in my industry for 17 years.
What is your background? PM me if you like...

richardsoncd
10-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Good job,but a great town. Geography keeps me where I am. Athens,GA is not the biggest place and the job market isn't huge like Atlanta. Big city job in a small college town.

milkmania
10-14-2005, 10:41 AM
...well, social security got a new prescription plan:o

shepherd
10-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Shep, I am a Sr. Sales Rep and have been in sales in my industry for 17 years.
What is your background? PM me if you like...

Navy lawyer (civilian). Love my job too. The clients I deal with are generally well-educated and friendly, I'm pretty much my own boss, and the pay ain't half bad (though I won't get any "rich lawyer" money here...). Best part: 40 hour work weeks and generous vacation days/holidays gives me plenty of time to go to the beach or ski.

PendO
10-14-2005, 12:50 PM
(though I won't get any "rich lawyer" money here...). Best part: 40 hour work weeks and generous vacation days/holidays gives me plenty of time to go to the beach or ski.

Congrats, you seem very centered ... often times that "rich lawyer" money comes at the expense of:

1. Alcoholism
2. Broken Marriage
3. Working 70 so you can bill 40
4. Loosing your conscience so you can look in the mirror
5. Not having time to spend with your family on a regular basis
6. In general not having enough time to do things in life that you enjoy

Of course, once someone makes partner your rich, but you never get those years back.

All IMO and only speaking to those who strive for the "rich lawyer" money - I think the profession is great if you can afford* to find a field that you enjoy and still have a life.

*Goes along with my gripe about student loans .. I had friends who graduated from Law School with 100K-200K in debt, thanks to private undergrad and private law school ... often times the the "prestige" of becoming an attorney seems to make students forget about the reality of having to pay back your loans.

Again, just my opinion.

Granite_33
10-14-2005, 01:29 PM
I went with #3, though #1 weighs heavily.

I have been at this employer for 10 years at the end of December, and I have been continually working up within the company. I have had 4 or 5 positive moves in my tenure. A few lateral for exposure, a few promotions. Always something new and interesting to learn. More money helps too.

Thats what definitely keeps me here. The fact that I am given a chance to grow personally and professionally, and am engaged in running our business. Manage sales, manage projects, new product development, manage salesmen. All keep me very engaged.

That said.....the minute I feel like the company is going to limit my chances to grow and puts me in a box.......I will become a free agent plain and simple.

I work with too many people who live with what the company deals them.....then all they do is b!tch and complain.......yet they show up each day and do their job.....not even giving a second thought as to what they can do for themselves.

I guess it all goes back to personal needs...............

M-Funf
10-14-2005, 01:49 PM
My job is great, but my boss is an idiot...

Make me a better offer...I'm outta here!

Of course, making me a better offer would be extremely difficult, as the pay and bonus options here are enormous (2X salary/yr.)

Happy Friday! Time for a Martini!!!!