PDA

View Full Version : Who's your Driver?

h2oskifreak
07-26-2013, 12:25 AM
My regular ski partner has become more busy than I wish he was with work. I have introduced my 75 y/o father to driving my 94ps 190. He has been around boats for a long time, but not the course. He makes a few mistakes here and there but I really enjoy having him out there. Most of the time my mother comes too. This morning I got in two sets with both of them and I cherish seeing them in my boat and the time we get together. So, "who's you're driver" turns out to be "Who's my Daddy". Appreciate that one day he won't be around and I have those memories. Mom used to try to tell me to not go shorter that 32 off, now she's chill.

JMLVMI
07-26-2013, 12:32 AM
My regular ski partner has become more busy than I wish he was with work. I have introduced my 75 y/o father to driving my 94ps 190. He has been around boats for a long time, but not the course. He makes a few mistakes here and there but I really enjoy having him out there. Most of the time my mother comes too. This morning I got in two sets with both of them and I cherish seeing them in my boat and the time we get together. So, "who's you're driver" turns out to be "Who's my Daddy". Appreciate that one day he won't be around and I have those memories. Mom used to try to tell me to not go shorter that 32 off, now she's chill.

Great story.

A guy I met on the ramp while buying my boat gave me his number and asked if I ever wanted to ski to give him a call. Now we meet every Tuesday morning for a couple of sets together along with breakfast.

A huge thrill was teaching my wife to drive me recently...although I'm waiting to get PPSG so it's one less thing for her to stress over with the 16mo old in the boat :D

h2oskifreak
07-26-2013, 12:38 AM
I also have a neighbor that I thought I could get out some this summer to help me out. I think he is a little intimidated because he seems to always have an excuse that he can't make it. Thank goodness I am on private water, 2 is hard sometimes I think getting a 3rd like we used to would be pretty hard anymore. We ski when we ski, no drinking or party going on. I think it's easy to get #'s when the drinks flow.

Kweisner
07-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Like so many here, my driver is my wife. We're relatively newbies but she's come a long way in just a few outings. She doesn't even want to use the PPSG yet, as she wants to have a feel for the throttle. Does a great job--next up is to teach the kids. Right now we let them drive but not pull.

Double D
07-26-2013, 08:44 AM
My typical driver is my brother. If he cant make it or he is in his boat then its my son. My wife has pulled me before but its been a while, and she mumbles and grumbles about it...

If I am out and no experienced driver I trust, no skiing for me.. :(

76S&S
07-26-2013, 08:45 AM
One of my 17 yr old twins is usually my driver.

02ProstarSammyD
07-26-2013, 08:49 AM
First driver was my ex wife.......she was awful
Second driver was one of my "girl" friends.......she still drives from time to time
Third driver was my long term ex g/f........she made my ex wife look like mario andretti
My current driver is my g/f of the past year and a half........Trying to find a ring based on the pure fact she does so well. Shes still a woman at heart so once in awhile she makes small mistakes but shes pretty freaking good.

ski_king
07-26-2013, 08:52 AM
My 22 year old daughter usually drives for me. My wife would rather not drive, but will when I don't have anybody else available.

dvsone79
07-26-2013, 09:06 AM
My brother or one of my riding buddies. Need to get my wife to learn but she's just not that interested. My 8mo old son will probably drive before she does...

d2jp
07-26-2013, 09:13 AM
My wife. Grew up on a lake, had her own little outboard runabout when she was a teenager and her family had a nice 21' Mark Twain sterndrive. Drives like a pro, docks the boat w/o a problem and is way better than me at driving it onto the trailer. Looks really, really good too, I'm a lucky guy.
Taking a turn behind the boat. 51, fit and loves boats and skiing:
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp355/d2jp/katski_zpsc33be2b6.jpg

h2oskifreak
07-26-2013, 10:37 AM
My ski partner from roughly 1985-1990 always had his wife drive. Not only was she a darn good driver, but not a skier. Have to be devoted as we skied a lot. We used to say "She holds the world record for # of times skiing, without actually skiing". Sweet lady, miss your pulls Kim.

GT500 MC
07-26-2013, 10:38 AM
My wife. Grew up on a lake, had her own little outboard runabout when she was a teenager and her family had a nice 21' Mark Twain sterndrive. Drives like a pro, docks the boat w/o a problem and is way better than me at driving it onto the trailer. Looks really, really good too, I'm a lucky guy.

Winner, winner....

My b-in-law, wife, and this year, 14-year old son, in that order. After this summer, the order may be reversing however. :D

waterbug
07-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Nobody... I used to ski almost every day. Haven't been behind the boat once this year. It just sits on my lift not being used. I can't find anyone who wants to go. This sucks.... Worst summer ever

LaRue
07-26-2013, 11:23 AM
I live three and a half hours away maybe I should come up there

pkskier
07-26-2013, 12:01 PM
My wife drives almost all the time, best driver on the lake. I don't have pp but our friends have nicknamed her perfect pass. She also backs the trailer when we are putting in and taking out and does a better job than 99% of the guys on the ramp. When my wife is not available my 25 year old daughter drives. Life is good.

bjames
07-26-2013, 12:03 PM
^ Same here, My wife is my driver and she also helps backing the truck in and pulling out when we load. If she cant come out, then my brother in law drives.

swardco
07-26-2013, 12:29 PM
My lovely wife. Only been driving a couple years and is doing great

EricB
07-26-2013, 12:38 PM
My wife drives. Shes been tolerating my idiosyncrasies for 23 years, and she's the best dang boat driver I know of. Friends call her Perfect Pass too! She can back a trailer & load a boat, can dock an inboard, when it comes to boats she's all in.
I'd be lost without her. She's also teaching my 15 yr. old son to drive now too.

Dynamite Spike
07-26-2013, 01:04 PM
My wife drives too. She doesn't have that much experience but listens to my comments/suggestions and is becoming quite a good driver. Learning to back the trailer and launch/retrieve the boat will be the next step.
As motivated my 5 year old is to drive with me, he'll be pulling me in no time! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

chriscraftmatt1976
07-26-2013, 01:26 PM
My wife never wants to drive even for a cruise. I think she's driven our boat once. My dad usually pulls me, and is a great boat driver. My brother Jeff pulls me when he's in town, great driver too. Other than that, whoever I'm riding with...

87 TriStar 190
07-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Brother-in-law and daughter. Daughter has been driving since she was 14 and is really good. Will do exactly as I ask. Straight lines with button hook turns and speed is constant. Both daughter and wife are great at driving off and back onto the trailer. They have that slow approach and soft throttle touch to bring it on the trailer pads. My daughter swivels and likes 12.5 +/-0 mph on GPS so she understands constant speed. Others drive occasionally, but these are by far the best. One other thing to mention is that my daughter fills the boat with her friends. Glad they still let me tag along. But, as long as I provide the boat, all equipment, get it to the lake, keep the tank full, teach them to ski, and dirve for all of them, I can ski with them. It's a good deal, believe me.

_fng_
07-26-2013, 01:34 PM
My fiancee drives me when none of my riding buddies are with us. She does good when she is paying attention but when her friends are on the boat she has a tendency of getting side tracked. Most people that ride with me are good drivers since they also have boats but some people don't get the no power turn rule, like its built into their DNA :rolleyes:

chriscraftmatt1976
07-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Brother-in-law and daughter. Daughter has been driving since she was 14 and is really good. Will do exactly as I ask. Straight lines with button hook turns and speed is constant. Both daughter and wife are great at driving off and back onto the trailer. They have that slow approach and soft throttle touch to bring it on the trailer pads. My daughter swivels and likes 12.5 +/-0 mph on GPS so she understands constant speed. Others occasionally, but these are by far the best. One other thing to mention is that my daughter fills the boat with her friends. Glad they still let me tag along. But, as long as I provide the boat, all equipment, get it to the lake, keep the tank full, teach them to ski, and dirve for all of them, I can ski with them. It's a good deal, believe me.

Our parents also spent a lot more time with us than most parents get to with their kids at that awkward age. Boats and skiing are great for that!

wheelerlake
07-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Husband. And he drives like he still has lights and siren on the vehicle (he was a firefighter/paramedic)! Everyone should move over for US! I just avoid skiing when it's busy for that reason and to protect my shiny new knees! He's great at getting me out of the water and getting me to speed. Our observer (Bill) loves the rumble of the boat. Neither of them ski so I am very lucky and spoiled. Bill enjoys a home-cooked meal for his "efforts" and all is well. Life is good! And I can still ski;)

Indyxc
07-26-2013, 02:21 PM
My fiancee drives me when none of my riding buddies are with us. She does good when she is paying attention but when her friends are on the boat she has a tendency of getting side tracked. Most people that ride with me are good drivers since they also have boats but some people don't get the no power turn rule, like its built into their DNA :rolleyes:

Ha I love it.

My fiance is often my driver as well. She works nights and if she worked the night before and didn't get much sleep, I don't even bother wakeboarding that day. All the sudden she is zoning out and doing nice long arcs down the windy side of the lake. lol

TxsRiverRat
07-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Primarily, my GF for the last 2.5 years..

But I have an entire ski club with about 40-50 backup drivers if I need it.

:D

zsqure
07-26-2013, 02:56 PM
My wife has been the driver through the first three boats. My oldest son has been the driver the past two boats. The 13 YO can do it but don't want to put that responsibility on him just yet, let him be a kid for another season.

College Kid
07-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Like most of you my wife is my primary.

Had never driven a boat before she met me, and other than a couple training sessions she probably hasn't driven a boat with out me behind it since. I am a lucky man.

The second best part is I have started to get coaching points from our 6 year old son in the spotter seat.

I still remember him trying to explain to her why she must slow down before she turns around to come pick me up. He was about 4.5 and she must have driven the boat about 5 times.

I am sure it won't be too long before he's pulling me (with supervision of course).

BrooksfamX2
07-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Like most of you my wife is my primary.

Same here......... my only driver

Burdhntr
07-26-2013, 03:49 PM
No female drivers (although our photographer is). Strictly an all-dude situation (that doesn't sound gay does it?).

chriscraftmatt1976
07-26-2013, 03:53 PM
No female drivers (although our photographer is). Strictly an all-dude situation (that doesn't sound gay does it?).

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Kyle
07-26-2013, 11:49 PM
I have maybe 5 drivers.

Taymc197 and another guy we sky ski with ONLY can pull me when I'm on public water.

In the ski club I let TxsRiverRat, phntmski, and maybe if I can't drum up either of them someone who HAS skied shortline.

I'm very particular about my pulls. Perfect practice is perfect performance. It is impossible to get perfect practice when the driver is 6"-12" hugging one side of the boat guides and we are in -38 off. If a newbie tried to drive for me, the course would be missing buoys, the gate and mid course magnets would get hit by my CNC prop costing me a magnet and a prop (our club members do not stay up with the times and still run rpm based old school perfect pass without GPS), and I would have a terrible pull that would frustrate me.

I would rather not ski than risk a non experienced driver pull me.

svxwilson
07-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Bought my boat this summer so my dad, who taught me, could drive for me again. He even got my Girlfriend up on a slalom her first time ever on any kind of water ski. She is a capable athletic snow skier though, But that says something for both of them. He lives in Bazil so he will only be here once a year. So gf will be the driver most of the time. She will learn next trip out!

JMLVMI
07-27-2013, 12:04 AM
I have maybe 5 drivers.

Taymc197 and another guy we sky ski with ONLY can pull me when I'm on public water.

In the ski club I let TxsRiverRat, phntmski, and maybe if I can't drum up either of them someone who HAS skied shortline.

I'm very particular about my pulls. Perfect practice is perfect performance. It is impossible to get perfect practice when the driver is 6"-12" hugging one side of the boat guides and we are in -38 off. If a newbie tried to drive for me, the course would be missing buoys, the gate and mid course magnets would get hit by my CNC prop costing me a magnet and a prop (our club members do not stay up with the times and still run rpm based old school perfect pass without GPS), and I would have a terrible pull that would frustrate me.

I would rather not ski than risk a non experienced driver pull me.

When I go to Coble this September I asked them to give me some driving lessons along with skiing lessons. I know all of the rules of slalom driving on public waters, but I want to learn the nuances of tournament and shoreline skiing.

May even be a promo boat guy someday :-P

swatguy
07-27-2013, 12:16 AM
The wife

She gives a great pull. Never drove or was in a boat before we met in 99 and now is a pro. She learned how to drive solo right off the bat(private lake no spotter needed)........ Puts it on the trailer, can dock, and throws a mean double up. Now she has two of the best spotters to help her out. We avg over 100hrs a year and i couldn't do that without her.

Reached a milestone this year I am very proud of........ Everyone is riding. Couldn't ask for a better crew

Kyle
07-27-2013, 01:31 AM
When I go to Coble this September I asked them to give me some driving lessons along with skiing lessons. I know all of the rules of slalom driving on public waters, but I want to learn the nuances of tournament and shoreline skiing.

May even be a promo boat guy someday :-P

Tournament driving or on the level of tournament driving has nothing to do with skiability. It just takes seat time and understanding how the boat moves around when a skier loads up. A shortline skier will load the boat differently because the skier is up on the boat. Imagine driving and seeing the skier turn the buoy before the driver gets to the buoy line. At -38 and shorter the driver looking forward down the boat path can see the skier turn the buoy slightly ahead of the driver. It's crazy. Then when the skier loads its up on the boat and pulls the boat. At -15 off the skier is not up on the boat so the angle is not pulling the boat over in the course. In a course the driver actually steers the boat right and left counter steering against the skier to keep the boat straight, but you have to be in sync with the skier. A good driver will counter steer on a rythm with the skier, not before or after the skier loads up.

It just takes seat time.

I say follow your dreams and if you go promo, haul the boat to tournaments and start getting driver certified. Then you can eventually get chief driver and are qualified to pull big time tournaments. Some of the drivers around in my area drive because that is the only way that they can go to regionals or nationals because they can not ski shortline. Just like skiing is an art, so is driving. You have to learn speed control in's and outs, how to stay straight, then you learn the dream weave (frowned upon) but its fun. The dream weave is when you hug the skiers side of the turn buoy and wait for them to load up and whip them to the next buoy or let them pull you over to the next buoy, basically 1 ball you hug right side then 2 ball you hug left. I've looked at the back of the boat when I'm directly behind it and have read the Mastercraft side hull letters. This is because the driver is dream weaving me. The boat is pulling me over to the next buoy but it stays in the course.

I will say the better of a driver you become the less drivers you will have to find to pull you. If you become a good driver then everyone will be knocking down your door for a pull :).

Cheers

uplander
07-27-2013, 08:00 PM
The Wife, she has pulled me around since we met in 93. This is our 4th boat and first V drive with new challenges (reverse). She also pulls the kids. Doing very well with the new surf pull also.

TxsRiverRat
07-29-2013, 10:15 AM
the driver actually steers the boat right and left counter steering against the skier to keep the boat straight

Moreso in a 190 than a 205 :D

It just takes seat time.

Amen

I will say the better of a driver you become the less drivers you will have to find to pull you. If you become a good driver then everyone will be knocking down your door for a pull :).

I've found this to be somewhat of a curse LOL

I get out of one boat, to another and to another... "Guys, isnt there someone else besides me to pull you??? :purplaugh

h2oskifreak
07-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Moreso in a 190 than a 205 :D

Amen

I've found this to be somewhat of a curse LOL

I get out of one boat, to another and to another... "Guys, isnt there someone else besides me to pull you??? :purplaugh

Spent all day yesterday driving for a large group of children, siblings and families with various disabilities. I was worn out, but what a day to see these kids get to do something way out of their comfort or reach. This was one time I would never mutter the words "guys is there someone else who can pull you". I am sure I can't drive like txrvrrat, but hope every one here drives for somebody like I had the pleasure of doing yesterday.

TxsRiverRat
07-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Spent all day yesterday driving for a large group of children, siblings and families with various disabilities. I was worn out, but what a day to see these kids get to do something way out of their comfort or reach. This was one time I would never mutter the words "guys is there someone else who can pull you". I am sure I can't drive like txrvrrat, but hope every one here drives for somebody like I had the pleasure of doing yesterday.

Awesome... What I meant was, we had alot of people at the site last night... Kyle was the only other one there I would have wanted driving my boat w/o me in it.

At some point, I need to relax on shore and grill the chickens!

I think my boat pulled 12 sets, me pulling all 12, then I pulled kyle 2 sets, so I was pretty worn out :)

h2oskifreak
07-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Awesome... What I meant was, we had alot of people at the site last night... Kyle was the only other one there I would have wanted driving my boat w/o me in it.

At some point, I need to relax on shore and grill the chickens!

I think my boat pulled 12 sets, me pulling all 12, then I pulled kyle 2 sets, so I was pretty worn out :)

I know what seat time is. My wife has a daughter in college and when she is in town, we always plan a lake day. Bring a few girlfriends turns into 6/8 and they do it all, ski, board, tube until I am toast. They love it and it makes my wife happy to see her girl in action.

One thing that surprised me a little about the thread, is how much family is involved. I get a little too focused sometime about "getting in and out in 2 hours with 2/3 sets under my belt". Slow down grasshopper.

neil.anderson63
07-29-2013, 12:52 PM
My son is my usual driver, 18 yrs old. It helps that he rides and understands how to run so I get back in the boat with a smile. Wife is backup, daughter, 16 yrs old is in training. My Dad used to pull me for decades. He doesn't ski anymore and doesn't put in any seat time, strictly an observer now days. because... well as he puts it. He got fat and would rather have a beer and relax.

onejdgreen
07-29-2013, 07:30 PM
My brother or his wife are my normal drivers. Otherwise it's whoever I trust with my boat that I know can handle it... The ex-roommate never drove, she was scared to death to drive it. One requirement for the next one will be that she knows how to drive a boat!!!

Kevin 89MC
07-30-2013, 11:39 AM
I ski about half the time with family and half with a really good ski partner. He is by far the best driver, but the wife is quite good as well. My brother in law is very good as well. I pull a very large range of skiers: free skiers, kids that ski, wake board & kneeboard, tubers when we're at a cabin, sister on swivel, friend on slalom trick, and ski partner who gets into 38 off at 36 MPH. The tubers are by far the most stressful, as they have no control and it is usually on a busy lake day. I get spoiled on our private late, that's for sure. Pulling my ski partner is fun because he is so good, and easy to watch. Like Kyle said a quick glance out the side and I can easily see his turns as he is getting really up on the boat. I do try to be very careful pulling him as 6" can make a big difference at shortline. I try to err on the side of a slight "dream weave" pull, or at least I try to make sure I don't do the opposite! I've done that a few times and apologized up and down for making him work hard for a pass. It is all about getting in sync with the skier, and nothing beats quality seat time.

Rockman
07-30-2013, 12:57 PM
My wifey is my driver...awesome driver for long line barefoot runs and very good driving skills when pulling us yahoos off the boom or even slalom runs.

She is super comfortable driving our BF200 but is very uncomfortable when driving the 190 now...totally different boats.

We really haven't had a chance to get some hours racked up on the 190 but she will become more comfortable as time goes on. ;)