PDA

View Full Version : tire life

bcd
07-25-2013, 11:33 PM
What kind of life would you expect for factory trailer tires on a 2012 X-2 with single axle trailer? I just got home from the dealer and found a third of my tread missing on one side. I estimate I've put around 3500 miles on the tires (1000 miles were back and forth to the dealer for warranty work).

Both tires have lots of tread lift in the middle, but the edges are worn down (ripped off on one side of one tire). The wear is worse on the inside. I've always thought that the tires weren't straight vertical looking at them, but just thought it was an optical illusion. Now I'm wondering if something isn't right.

bcd
07-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Looks like I can upload pictures again.

mzimme
07-25-2013, 11:42 PM
First... get new tires. Then make another drive for warranty work on your trailer, cause something is messed up. Is that a torsion axle? What is your tire pressure at? They should be at the max psi according to the sidewall of the tire. From the way they're wearing, they look like they are very low in pressure. Even the outside edge looks really worn. I have about 3000 miles on my trailer tires already this year, and they don't look anything like that. 12-15000 miles shouldn't be a problem with proper inflation.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2013, 11:59 PM
I suspect that you either have a bent axle flange or a bent wheel. Has your trailer run smooth and tracked well, or have you had some vibration/bouncing and poor tracking? What tires do you have and what tire pressure do you run?

bcd
07-26-2013, 12:31 AM
The tires say max pressure 80 psi. I've been running them at 65 psi. They already ride rough. I'm pretty sure they didn't come from the factory at 80 psi. So should I have been running them at 80 psi? The tires are Trail America ST Radials. What do you recommend for replacements?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-26-2013, 01:20 AM
While 80 psi seems like a lot, trailer tires are designed to be run at full pressure. Less pressure allows the sidewalls to flex and this causes heat to build and the tire face to distort so the tire isn't being supported by the whole tread.

I sell three brands of trailer tires that I have great amounts of faith in. Gladiator QR-25, Akuret HF-188, and Durun STC1.

What size are your tires? I will PM you a quote.

93Prostar190
07-26-2013, 07:46 AM
That tire either looks defective, or it ran under inflated or it hit something on the road.

Follow Mr. MC and his guidance but I would take the tires and wheels to a nearby tire dealer you trust and make sure your wheels are good, true and balanced with the new tires. You may also be able to get a warranty prorate on those existing tires, maybe.

Run your tires at their max inflation, the only time you would not is of you are going to tow the trailer only for a very extended ride.

Good luck .... Did you say 1000 miles for warranty work? I complain about 300!

bcd
07-26-2013, 08:46 AM
My logic behind 65 psi (not saying I'm correct): tire max load 2830 lbs at 80 psi. 2 tires would be 5660 pounds. My boat, gas, and gear is around 4000 lbs - 70% of max load. 70% of 80 psi is 56 psi, so 65 psi should be good. I just felt like 80 psi would ride real rough.

bcd
07-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Updated #'s: boat 3500, 45 gal gas 360, single axle trailer 935, subtracted tongue weight on truck ~500 = 4295 lbs.

Tires are ST225/75R15. Only problem is I need them today since I'm towing the boat 7 hours on Sunday. I am coming right through St. Paul, but I don't want to try making it on a tire with steel belt showing.

I've actually done 1200 miles back and forth to the dealer but the last round was to repair the log damage. If I caused the early failure by under inflation, that's fine. I just want to make sure I don't put new tires on and have them go after another 3500 miles. I'll call the dealer when they open today and see what they say.

93Prostar190
07-26-2013, 10:13 AM
BCD , good luck brother fresh tires are good for the mind and soul, inwouldtry to get some pro rate warranty

As far as your logic, it makes sense but don't assume a linear relationship between inflation percentage to load.

For instance at 20% load you would not run 20% inflation since the air in the tire also helps provide structural rigidity to the tire as it spins and deals with traction, road imperfections etc

Keep rocking!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Updated #'s: boat 3500, 45 gal gas 360, single axle trailer 935, subtracted tongue weight on truck ~500 = 4295 lbs.

Tires are ST225/75R15. Only problem is I need them today since I'm towing the boat 7 hours on Sunday. I am coming right through St. Paul, but I don't want to try making it on a tire with steel belt showing.

I've actually done 1200 miles back and forth to the dealer but the last round was to repair the log damage. If I caused the early failure by under inflation, that's fine. I just want to make sure I don't put new tires on and have them go after another 3500 miles. I'll call the dealer when they open today and see what they say.

Doesn't look like my quick service will be quite as fast as you need. As 93Prostar190 said, make sure you have your tire guy take a hard look at your wheel and axle to be sure everything is true. Good luck.

TxsRiverRat
07-26-2013, 03:18 PM
What kind of life would you expect for factory trailer tires on a 2012 X-2 with single axle trailer? I just got home from the dealer and found a third of my tread missing on one side. I estimate I've put around 3500 miles on the tires (1000 miles were back and forth to the dealer for warranty work).

Both tires have lots of tread lift in the middle, but the edges are worn down (ripped off on one side of one tire). The wear is worse on the inside. I've always thought that the tires weren't straight vertical looking at them, but just thought it was an optical illusion. Now I'm wondering if something isn't right.

5 years max... forget about the rest of your thought process. if you're in doubt about the age, replace them asap

bcd
07-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Manufacturing code on tires is 2010. Sticker on my trailer says inflate to 65 psi.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Manufacturing code on tires is 2010. Sticker on my trailer says inflate to 65 psi.

Stickers will sometimes lead to issues...........there were Ford Explorers that had stickers that said to inflate to 28 psi.

You must have 8 ply tires. I could see if the trailer originally came with 6 ply and sticker said 65 and 8 ply tires were put on later in life - but that isn't the case here. Interesting because a trailer tire manufacturer would never spec a pressure below max pressure.

bcd
07-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Trailer has not 1, but 2 different stickers stating 65 psi at 5500 pound rating, which you are correct, doesn't make sense. My tires say they need to be at 80 psi to get to 5660. I also called the dealer and he said to run at what the trailer recommends. He also said he hasn't really seen any issues with trailer tires.

I couldn't find any of your recommended brands here. One guy told me he had the Gladiator's, but when I went there, he told me they only 205's, and load rating D instead of E. I gave up and put what he had on, Mastertracks I think. I got them set at 75 psi for the long trip today. I'll just pay a lot closer attention to the wear this set.

Since trailer tires are recommended to run at max pressure, what about load E truck tires? I've got a 3/4 ton truck with load E tires that recommend 80 psi max. I usually run them at 65 psi to get a little softer ride and only go to 80 when I haul a good sized load. Is that wrong? I get pretty even wear.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Trailer has not 1, but 2 different stickers stating 65 psi at 5500 pound rating, which you are correct, doesn't make sense. My tires say they need to be at 80 psi to get to 5660. I also called the dealer and he said to run at what the trailer recommends. He also said he hasn't really seen any issues with trailer tires.

I couldn't find any of your recommended brands here. One guy told me he had the Gladiator's, but when I went there, he told me they only 205's, and load rating D instead of E. I gave up and put what he had on, Mastertracks I think. I got them set at 75 psi for the long trip today. I'll just pay a lot closer attention to the wear this set.

Since trailer tires are recommended to run at max pressure, what about load E truck tires? I've got a 3/4 ton truck with load E tires that recommend 80 psi max. I usually run them at 65 psi to get a little softer ride and only go to 80 when I haul a good sized load. Is that wrong? I get pretty even wear.

Buying trailer tires on short notice is a crapshoot at best. You never know what you will run in to. Good luck with this set.

Not a problem with truck tires as the sidewalls are designed to have some flex.