PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated

Foiler
10-12-2005, 07:07 PM
I forget who these guys are but I love the picture.

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Rockman, Sassydog, and I are planning a trip just like that this winter. Has to have snow on the ground, and ice somewhere on the water! Good times.... :banana:

bradamerry
10-12-2005, 07:24 PM
I'd be building a snowman or doing some hunting...... That's diehard.

AirJunky
10-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Nice...... I should know who that is but I can't think of it. The foilers always seem to see some good cold water runs every winter. Dedication is right.

There is a small fresh water lake near the Anchorage, AK airport that is also the foot of a glacier. I can't remember the name of it, but it's the largest fresh water glacier in Alaska. I always thought it would be the classic cold water picture.... perfect for a drysuit ad! A rider bustin lose with that blue glacial ice behind him would be sweet!

I'd do it, but I changed jobs a while back & haven't had any reason to get back up there.

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Rockman has pictures of him and some of his other buddies floating on sheets of ice while they were out in the dead of winter.

T Scott
10-12-2005, 07:32 PM
I need some perspective on this thread. I live in Florida and have never been exposed to or skied in weather like the photo on the top of the thread. What would you northern guys guess the air/water temp is in the photo? The coldest I have ever skied in was air temp around 45-48 degrees and water around 60. You gotta love Florida!!

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 07:35 PM
I need some perspective on this thread. I live in Florida and have never been exposed to or skied in weather like the photo on the top of the thread. What would you northern guys guess the air/water temp is in the photo? The coldest I have ever skied in was air temp around 45-48 degrees and water around 60. You gotta love Florida!!

I would say air, upper 20's to low 30's and water, mid to upper 30's.

AirJunky
10-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Probably around 30 air & 35 water temps, T, give or take a few.

Coldest we've ever skied it was 24 air & about 34 water. So cold that if you dropped your gloves on the floor of the boat..... they froze there. The spray around the hull would freeze as it hit the boat till we had a 1/2" layer of ice all over the boat.

PS: Didn't hear you lovin Florida so much last hurricane season!

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Now, that sounds like fun! Or, while you ski the drysuit freezes into a permanent position with a thin layer of ice on it.

AirJunky
10-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Now, that sounds like fun! Or, while you ski the drysuit freezes into a permanent position with a thin layer of ice on it.
It's getting dangerous if it's that cold because the suit will crack as you move. Your only going to last a minute or two if you get wet, then it's hypothermia baby!
But it has to be really cold to get to that point, like having a river freeze temps.

MarkP
10-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Air temp, Painful!

Water temp, Painful!!

Looks fun though!!!

Mag_Red
10-12-2005, 07:48 PM
I have better things to do than freeze my a$$ off :D

PointTaken
10-12-2005, 07:51 PM
I agree with Mag on this one.

AirJunky
10-12-2005, 07:53 PM
You guys make it sound like it's painful & we're into pain. It's not like that at all.
We've been doing the AirSanta run for like 10 yrs now. It's gotten so big we have to bring several boats now. Plus it's being done in several cities. I even sold several Santa drysuits so others could do it elsewhere!
Except for your face, we're not getting any colder than you would on a snowmobile or snow skiing.
And we have a blast doing it!

Mag_Red
10-12-2005, 07:57 PM
More power to ya Air Junky :headbang: but I even hate sticking my hand in the cooler diggin for a cold one :D

PointTaken
10-12-2005, 07:59 PM
You guys make it sound like it's painful & we're into pain. It's not like that at all.
We've been doing the AirSanta run for like 10 yrs now. It's gotten so big we have to bring several boats now. Plus it's being done in several cities. I even sold several Santa drysuits so others could do it elsewhere!
Except for your face, we're not getting any colder than you would on a snowmobile or snow skiing.
And we have a blast doing it!
Didn't mean to imply you weren't having fun. I personally have a drysuit, neoprene head gear, and special gloves. I did it a lot, but the face and hands always got the best of me (frozen). So, I hung it up, and will leave it to the younger guys. Your not exactly working on form, or having personal bests in that type of weather.

With that said, anything is tolerable if you have a bunch of friends getting together and making a day or party of it. But, just to do it, to do it. No thanks.

PointTaken
10-12-2005, 08:00 PM
More power to ya Air Junky :headbang: but I even hate sticking my hand in the cooler diggin for a cold one :D
I have to disagree with Mag on this one. I have no problem digging in a cooler for a cold one. :woohoo:

Davo
10-12-2005, 08:29 PM
I have better things to do than freeze my a$$ off :D

Yeah, like being all snuggled up on some snow bunny by the fire...watching football...drinking a cold one...that your loyal dog retrieved from the cooler. :cool:

Cool pic though and definitely lots of dedication there. That can't be good for the boat.

AirJunky
10-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Yeah, like being all snuggled up on some snow bunny
She's making her Mrs. Claus dress so she can join us this year. :uglyhamme

PointTaken
10-12-2005, 09:14 PM
She's making her Mrs. Claus dress so she can join us this year. :uglyhamme
lol...........

RickDV
10-12-2005, 10:14 PM

I've lived in Michigan my whole life. Here's my "Sherlock Holmes" deduction:
- Not much snow base built up. Must be early in the season. Perhaps first snow of the year.
- Hoar frost on the trees. Only happens when air temp is just below freezing.
- No ice build visible on the water, not even at the edges. Again, probably early in the season.

My guess: Air temp at 30 or 31. Water temp at 35-37.

X-45
10-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Nope, not happing!

:noface:

sizzler
10-13-2005, 07:15 AM
we always go out on boxing day.....but our temps are no-where as severe as yours

tex
10-13-2005, 09:07 AM
i skied at a show in Germany in the 90's. Standing on a small platform 35 ' above the water in a snow storm, letting your coils out to do a barefoot start is no fun! I hate cold water!

Davo
10-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Holy crap. You're doing a start from 35' in a snow storm? That's gotta hurt.

tex
10-13-2005, 01:19 PM
i've had more fun!

Leroy
10-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Are there no video's of you show skiing Tex?

i skied at a show in Germany in the 90's. Standing on a small platform 35 ' above the water in a snow storm, letting your coils out to do a barefoot start is no fun! I hate cold water!

AirJunky
10-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Holy crap. You're doing a start from 35' in a snow storm? That's gotta hurt.
Never saw The Secret Spot, huh.
How high was that guy when he bailed off the bridge for a barefoot start?

Davo
10-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Right, well at least you had a paid trip to Germany and probably got to enjoy some fresh German ale while there... :toast:

tex
10-13-2005, 01:37 PM
i skied pre-dvd. i have been trying to convert some of my tapes. i saw the Secret Spot. It looked about the same height. the germany thing was into about 4 feet of water. they had dug out a hole that was around 12 feet for you to land in. i hated it. i did a bridge jump in Louisiana that was about 35 feet into 7 feet of water. lucky the ground was so mucky you did not even notice if your feet hit bottom.

oh yeah, German beer and wine sales took a severe hit when i retired!

Davo
10-13-2005, 01:38 PM
AirJunky, apparently not. I've seen some high drops though, but in a snow storm the water would have to be dense.

We used to tie two ski ropes together and try to do starts off the roof of my neighbors dock, but that was only 12' maybe and definately not snowing. lol