PDA

View Full Version : Illinois - a Tax on Tubes???? OWI on a Tube???

bobx1
07-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Not sure if this is BS or not:

source = http://www.tristate-media.com/drr/article_e2288ec0-f2e2-11e2-af69-0019bb2963f4.html

As of July 1, Illinois residents must have a $6 “Water Use Sticker” for anything they plan to just float upon - or, as referred to by the state, “all non-powered watercraft.” That includes inner tubes. The stickers do, however, replace the need for titles and registrations on kayaks and canoes.

The new law also requires life jackets for users of canoes, kayaks and, yes, inner tubes. Oh, and you can be arrested for OWI - or drunk boating - in an inner tube.

lukedeuce
07-25-2013, 11:30 AM
That seems little absurd. There are places close to hear that specifically rent inner tubes to float down the river while you drink your @$$ off. They also provide shuttle service and camping should you not have a dd.

JimN
07-25-2013, 11:30 AM

source = http://www.tristate-media.com/drr/article_e2288ec0-f2e2-11e2-af69-0019bb2963f4.html

As of July 1, Illinois residents must have a $6 “Water Use Sticker” for anything they plan to just float upon - or, as referred to by the state, “all non-powered watercraft.” That includes inner tubes. The stickers do, however, replace the need for titles and registrations on kayaks and canoes.

The new law also requires life jackets for users of canoes, kayaks and, yes, inner tubes. Oh, and you can be arrested for OWI - or drunk boating - in an inner tube.

It's Illinois- why would this surprise anyone?

JimN
07-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Check out this guy's final column- unfortunately, it's all true and we're not doing anything to stop it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/reese.asp

cbryan70
07-25-2013, 11:56 AM
That seems little absurd. There are places close to hear that specifically rent inner tubes to float down the river while you drink your @$$ off. They also provide shuttle service and camping should you not have a dd.
do you live in wis? I went on a float up there. had a blast.

We float the river down here every one in a while. I will let my friends test it first.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2013, 12:23 PM

I'm definitely not going to IL....http://www.fresh-hope.com/forums/images/smilies/tapping%20foot.gif

Double D
07-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Keep that crap out of Ohio!! Stupidest thing I have ever heard!! It maybe benefits the kayaks and canoes but it needs to make tubes exempt!

onewheat
07-25-2013, 12:41 PM
:shocked: Yet another reason to avoid that state.

skps190
07-25-2013, 12:42 PM
As a resident of the People's Republic of Illinois this wouldn't surprise me. I'm glad I do all my boating in MI.

captain planet
07-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Keep that crap out of Ohio!! Stupidest thing I have ever heard!! It maybe benefits the kayaks and canoes but it needs to make tubes exempt!

Uh, we are not too far from that ridiculousness DD. Casx2 at our club bought his wife a paddle board, one of those things you stand up on and paddle around on. Uh, yea, he had to get a registration sticker for it.....for a f-ing paddle board! Just another way for the government to reach into our pockets. Bunch of BS. :mad:

"Don't steal, the government hates competition." - Ron Paul

Traxx822
07-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Yay!! More stickers !!! So excited to comply with this law. Does this go for surfboards too? :cool:

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Stickers for this too?

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/yellow-raft-floating-pool-5662586.jpg

homer12
07-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Are bikes required to be registered there? Sheeesh, what an absurdity!! Pretty soon you will have to register your shoes if you want to use them on sidewalks.

chriscraftmatt1976
07-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Wow... That's crazy. I think I will risk the ticket. I kinda pick and choose which laws I follow anyway. Don't we all? I'm loyal to the big ones tho....

Double D
07-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Wow... That's crazy. I think I will risk the ticket. I kinda pick and choose which laws I follow anyway. Don't we all? I'm loyal to the big ones tho....

The common sense ones!! This other crap is big brother money grabbing government bull crap!!

Legolamb
07-25-2013, 03:02 PM
With the financial state of our State and not being able to resolve the pension issue, expect to see some very creative ways to get more money out of our pockets. I hate Illinois, if it wasn't for my job I wouldn't be here.

lukedeuce
07-25-2013, 03:17 PM
do you live in wis? I went on a float up there. had a blast.

We float the river down here every one in a while. I will let my friends test it first.

I'm actually in Iowa. You must of went to apple river for the float?

So with this law, do you think they would be able to enforce it on the Mississippi since it borders ia/il?

Panda Cub
07-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Illinois resident here.
Earlier this summer we were stopped by the Illinois DNR because I did a flip off of my wakeskate to end my set. No laws were being broken, but the officer felt the need to talk to me about "unsafe watersports participation". I have been waterskiing for 24 years, and my family members for much longer; no one has ever heard of this.
The officer proceeded to give us the entire safety check, plus he made sure no one was drinking; even though he looked in the cooler and there was no alcohol. Even my mother in law who was in the boat was shocked at the rudeness of the DNR officers, and their lack of respect for all of us. The reason I made reference to my mother in law is because she rarely sides with me.

I go to Bull Shoals Lake roughly 5-6 times a year; occasionally running into both the Missouri and Arkansas department of conservation. There is not one bad thing I could say about either of those departments, except they take forever to process a permit for a slalom course.

GMC190
07-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Some crooked politician here in Illinois found out people were having fun for free, so they saw another golden opportunity to take advantage.
Guess there is a reason why Illinois now has one of the worst track records for shysters in office out of our 50 states.

chriscraftmatt1976
07-25-2013, 04:51 PM
I don't mind doing a little dnr bashing at the moment. I live on a private lake that's fed by a river, which people often kayak down, which is no problem with me. The general public has the right to the river, and once they hit the lake, they pull their stuff out and leave. There's a large empty lot for sale right where the river meets the lake which does not belong to the private association, which the dnr is now trying to buy, turn into a livery that rents kayaks to be used on the lake, and also put in a public boat launch on the lake we all pay dues on to live on a low traffic lake. I'm livid, and honestly, will go to some lengths to upset the balance if it does happen. I will be found letting air out of tires by the launch, and doing circles at 8mph around kayaks... Thanks dnr.

GMC190
07-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Stickers for this too?

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/yellow-raft-floating-pool-5662586.jpg

Apply sticker right on the head rest

GT500 MC
07-25-2013, 04:55 PM
I don't mind doing a little dnr bashing at the moment. I live on a private lake that's fed by a river, which people often kayak down, which is no problem with me. The general public has the right to the river, and once they hit the lake, they pull their stuff out and leave. There's a large empty lot for sale right where the river meets the lake which does not belong to the private association, which the dnr is now trying to buy, turn into a livery that rents kayaks to be used on the lake, and also put in a public boat launch on the lake we all pay dues on to live on a low traffic lake. I'm livid, and honestly, will go to some lengths to upset the balance if it does happen. I will be found letting air out of tires by the launch, and doing circles at 8mph around kayaks... Thanks dnr.

Sounds like everybody on the private lake should go together and buy that piece of land---then start your own kayak/paddleboard rental business on the side. No sense being reactive when you can be preventive.

JimN
07-25-2013, 05:01 PM
I bought a cargo van in PHX a couple of years ago and decided to avoid Chicago on the way back, so I came up to WI on 39. Not far from Rockford, they had a new stretch of pavement- nice, smooth asphalt. Or, so I thought. I was cruising along at about 1:15AM and BAM!, an area where the asphalt was gone that was about 6'L x 8'W x 3" deep IN BRAND EFFIN' NEW PAVEMENT!!!!! The shock not only bottomed out, it sheared one of the tabs used to bolt it to the lower control arm. I moved to the side, in case another one would occur in that side of the lane and guess what- same effin' thing on the right half. BAM! Didn't do any damage to that shock, but eventually, the left one came completely free from the control arm.

About a mile later, I had to go through a toll booth. I may have told the guy to kiss my azz but I was so PO'd that I don't remember that part.

I think I know the meaning behind the name of Effingham, Illinois.

JimN
07-25-2013, 05:04 PM

Better to get everyone on the lake to chip in for the lot. That way, one person doesn't get nailed with all of the costs, the headaches and maintenance. Also, the tolerance for a price increase that's caused by the DNR going nuts is easier to tolerate by a group, but it also gives the group more legal clout.

Start the petitions and contact your local/county/state representatives.

Traxx822
07-25-2013, 05:11 PM
I bought a cargo van in PHX a couple of years ago and decided to avoid Chicago on the way back, so I came up to WI on 39. Not far from Rockford, they had a new stretch of pavement- nice, smooth asphalt. Or, so I thought. I was cruising along at about 1:15AM and BAM!, an area where the asphalt was gone that was about 6'L x 8'W x 3" deep IN BRAND EFFIN' NEW PAVEMENT!!!!! The shock not only bottomed out, it sheared one of the tabs used to bolt it to the lower control arm. I moved to the side, in case another one would occur in that side of the lane and guess what- same effin' thing on the right half. BAM! Didn't do any damage to that shock, but eventually, the left one came completely free from the control arm.

About a mile later, I had to go through a toll booth. I may have told the guy to kiss my azz but I was so PO'd that I don't remember that part.

I think I know the meaning behind the name of Effingham, Illinois.

JimN, I'm confused. Your story took place in northern IL and then you mention Effingham. Which is way down south central IL. And the only thing in Effingham is this:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

JimN
07-25-2013, 05:16 PM
JimN, I'm confused. Your story took place in northern IL and then you mention Effingham. Which is way down south central IL. And the only thing in Effingham is this:

Effing Illinois.

I thought Shure Bros was based in Effingham- I think they still are.

Traxx822
07-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Not sure. Cause nobody cares about Effing Illinois :cool:

TayMC197
07-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Well, one can only expect stupid laws from the home state of our lovely president. Hard to imagine anyone is suprised.

Traxx822
07-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Well, one can only expect stupid laws from the home state of our lovely president. Hard to imagine anyone is suprised.

Ummmm, Isn't our president from Kenya?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2013, 07:00 PM

Questionable lineage at best http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

JimN
07-25-2013, 07:40 PM

I thought he was from Hawaii? He just squatted in Chicago.

Yeah, I said it!:D

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2013, 08:06 PM
I thought he was from Hawaii? He just squatted in Chicago.

Yeah, I said it!:D

He was an "event planner":rolleyes:

sgoyal
07-25-2013, 08:12 PM
That's kinda BS pushed me out of Chicago...

chriscraftmatt1976
07-25-2013, 09:03 PM

SNAP!

mikeg205
07-25-2013, 09:45 PM
omg - http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/boating/Pages/BoatingFAQs.aspx

Please let me out of this state.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rockman
07-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Yes, stupid rule in Illinois, not sure who's ideas that was...Wisconsin is not better. I have boated in Wisconsin for 40 years now and the DNR behind the great cheddar curtain is the biggest POS I have ever had to have contact with. Want to talk about a bunch of small town, good ole' boy, tree huggers...? Don't even get me started.

Best thing is when the DNR guy that pulled him over starts reading me the rule book passage about life vests and I tell him that he is in the wrong chapter...made my day. What a DB.

Every state has funky rules, just a matter of how they affect everyone or who actually brings them to the surface to discuss.

Yes, money is the key to everything...no tube stamp for me.

chriscraftmatt1976
07-26-2013, 01:38 PM
A bunch of people should organize and go sit on tubes in front of the capital. Right on the front steps...

homer12
07-26-2013, 01:41 PM
A bunch of people should organize and go sit on tubes in front of the capital. Right on the front steps...

LOL, Love it!! Just don't put them in a body of water there. :D

captain planet
07-26-2013, 01:44 PM

Effing Illinois.

I thought Shure Bros was based in Effingham- I think they still are.

Not sure. Cause nobody cares about Effing Illinois :cool:

One of my heroes has a song about that place.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjJa7BYCiiA

JimN
07-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Yes, stupid rule in Illinois, not sure who's ideas that was...Wisconsin is not better. I have boated in Wisconsin for 40 years now and the DNR behind the great cheddar curtain is the biggest POS I have ever had to have contact with. Want to talk about a bunch of small town, good ole' boy, tree huggers...? Don't even get me started.

Best thing is when the DNR guy that pulled him over starts reading me the rule book passage about life vests and I tell him that he is in the wrong chapter...made my day. What a DB.

Every state has funky rules, just a matter of how they affect everyone or who actually brings them to the surface to discuss.

Yes, money is the key to everything...no tube stamp for me.

Yeah, our DNR sucks, too. We're a bit like Illinois with training wheels.

Rockman
07-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Yeah, our DNR sucks, too. We're a bit like Illinois with training wheels.

No, WI is more like the front runner.;)

JimN
07-26-2013, 02:08 PM
No, WI is more like the front runner.;)

Living here has taken away my will to argue about it.

mustangtexas
07-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Illinois gets a lot of chat on 1911forum.com over gun control and now here over inner tube control. Is there a lot city folks killing each other while floating down a river?

JimN
07-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Illinois gets a lot of chat on 1911forum.com over gun control and now here over inner tube control. Is there a lot city folks killing each other while floating down a river?

Not unless they're floating on the Chicago River, downtown. The killing field is in the city, not on the water.

Traxx822
07-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Not unless they're floating on the Chicago River, downtown. The killing field is in the city, not on the water.

The bodies end up in the lake and river pretty often.

chriscraftmatt1976
07-26-2013, 04:11 PM

Really?!?! Yuk!

JimN
07-26-2013, 04:16 PM

The Mob used Kenosha, WI as a dumping ground for decades. Thanks to whomever, for stopping that.

JimN
07-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Really?!?! Yuk!

You don't like dead bodies in your rivers?

sgoyal
07-26-2013, 04:32 PM

Didn't they drop obama oops Osama body somewhere in the water? I guess if you are from the Chicago then you know dropping body in Lake or river isn't a big deal :D

chriscraftmatt1976
07-26-2013, 04:57 PM

Depends who it is Jim!

Traxx822
07-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Dead bodies make the water warmer.

RadarDad
07-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Just so everyone is sure, Illinois is really charging us for non motorized items. This should be a lesson to all the uninformed voters! Keep voting for Democrats. They also did not send us power boaters a renewal notice for our numbers, trying to ticket us for expired numbers(the state is broke).

Roger

sethro
07-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Illinois DNR has backed off on the tubing "usage sticker." Apparently enough complaints that they ended it before it really got started. Still have to have the usage sticker for canoes and kayaks, but that's better than having to have them registered with the full blown numbers/titles/etc...

swatguy
07-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Illinois is so fubar'd. It's going to go down faster than Detroit. Look at what all the democrats did for that city. We are headed down that same path. Chicago/
Cook County politics has turned this state into the most broke state in America. How people keep voting for these idiots is beyond me. Oh that's right they redistricted to eliminate republican representation. We are the most corrupt, broke, democratic state in the nation and now the Chicago machine is doing the same to our entire nation with this Chicago bought and paid for joke in the White House.

This entire pension mess is all on them for stealing our money year after year and never making their payments. Now all of a sudden we are supposed to forgive all they owe and eat a pile of crap to save the mess they left us with. They stole our money so they should put it back. Funny I don't see any free handouts being cut, I don't see any salaries or political pensions on the chopping block. All I see are million and billion dollar useless parks and crooked deals. Oh and bike lanes. The world will be saved by riding bikes in 3 ft of snow for 4 months of the year.

We have an Attorney General who has oy filed one case ever in her history as an AG in the state with the most governors in prison. I mean seriously. In Chicago the Inspector General can't inspect Alderman and their ways. They have a free pass to do anything. We have 50 Alderman for one city. ***! Lets not even get into Cook County and all their convicted felon politicians.

Sorry for the rant guys. It's just insane here. How are people so stupid and blind. And now these fantastic ideas. WOW!

Willski
07-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Just so everyone is sure, Illinois is really charging us for non motorized items. This should be a lesson to all the uninformed voters! Keep voting for Democrats. They also did not send us power boaters a renewal notice for our numbers, trying to ticket us for expired numbers(the state is broke).

Roger

I also heard they backed off on the tubers, but I definitely didn't get a renewal notice. I renewed two weeks ago and haven't received a sticker yet either. :mad:

Traxx822
07-30-2013, 11:22 PM
I also heard they backed off on the tubers, but I definitely didn't get a renewal notice. I renewed two weeks ago and haven't received a sticker yet either. :mad:

Dude I sent in my registration again for the third time 3 months ago. They go ally cashed my $52 check yesterday. I have yet to ever have registration on my boat.

Non stop, hull ID pencil rub, photos of engine serial numbers, title, bill of sale, ring of fire blah blah blah. More taxes blah blah. And now 3 months later they cash the check. Wonder how long it will take them to actually send it.

Sent in my FOID card renewal in over 3 months ago. A friend sent his in and it took 7 months to get it back.

At this rate it will be 2015 before I get my conceal carry.

sethro
07-30-2013, 11:22 PM
I renewed by mail back in May and still haven't received my new stickers. I ended up calling them and asking if they were going to send the renewal notice via mail like years past, and was told they weren't doing that anymore....yet they sent me the notice all filled out and all I had to do was sign my name and return with the check.

swatguy
07-31-2013, 12:08 AM
Yea Foids are 8 mos easy nowadays. And just wait for the CC permits. They already stalled like crazy.

I didn't get a renewal notice for my boat either. However I did it Online .....had the sticker in 8 days. If you do it by phone or online they give you a code and you're all set in case the popo run your numbers. Anything done by the star is a nightmare

onewheat
07-31-2013, 03:16 AM
The wife got offered a killer job in IL - my answer was a resounding Hell No! I'd never move there - too much to lose and deal with there.

Rockman
07-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Dude I sent in my registration again for the third time 3 months ago. They go ally cashed my $52 check yesterday. I have yet to ever have registration on my boat.

Non stop, hull ID pencil rub, photos of engine serial numbers, title, bill of sale, ring of fire blah blah blah. More taxes blah blah. And now 3 months later they cash the check. Wonder how long it will take them to actually send it.

Sent in my FOID card renewal in over 3 months ago. A friend sent his in and it took 7 months to get it back.

At this rate it will be 2015 before I get my conceal carry.

Keep waiting...I sent in my paperwork for title and registration in early February and got my registration numbers back in mid June and then the title a week after that.

And that's after I needed to provide to PO's last registration card which I FedEx's overnight to help speed up the process...or I thought I did. :mad:

Willski
08-02-2013, 02:35 PM
I did get my stickers now. I renewed online on the 14th and actually got them on the 30th. Not to terrible.

RadarDad
08-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Just the cost is terrible. If you are on the chain the waterways stickers are $80 this year!

swatguy
08-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Just the cost is terrible. If you are on the chain the waterways stickers are $80 this year!

Right. What a $$ cow on that. Where does all that money go? Not to mention tge 12-15 dollar launch fee if you don't use the cluster of wallys State Park launch. It sure doesnt go to chain maintenance.

Traxx822
08-04-2013, 09:40 AM

Um I paid $100 at Ben Watts. Scammed again I see. Dang it

fletch_n_me
08-04-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm an Illinois refugee, though I did all my boating in WI. I actually subscribe to the Trib and follow local news in the same way someone might watch an ex flounder while their life falls apart.

This is the future of America folks. Anyone who thinks government solves problems has never lived in IL. It's like helplessly watching a child climb into a bathtub with a toaster...repeatedly.