PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy...Help!

m15mod
07-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Going to take a 1990 MC PS 190 for a test drive. Does this year/model boat have any chronic issues? I have read the what to look for section on this forum. The boat has 267 hours with a 351. I am not sure what the hp is. This will be my 1st ski/boat how fast should it be stock from the factory? How much hp will the boat handle, and how fast before I will get myself in trouble. Sober driver with common sense. Thanks in advance for any advice

clrussell
07-24-2013, 01:32 PM
No common problems I know of, check for vibration at speed, should maybe run 45 mph. But you won want to run that fast unless your on good water. They don't handle chop very well. Great boats easy to maintain

JMLVMI
07-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Welcome to the forum! Before everyone hops on you, the boat is not designed for speed. It is designed to accelerate as quickly as possible to 36mph for tournament waterskiing, and will most likely top out between 42-45mph. Most likely the engine has 240hp which is plenty to accomplish this task.

I say this with as much kindness as possible...if you're looking for a go-fast boat, I would look elsewhere.

drschemel
07-25-2013, 12:23 PM
have a competent marine mechanic check out the motor and transmission well. Low hours on a boat that old sometimes means that maintenance was not kept up very well. The ignition should have been upgraded to electronic from the points/condenser it came with. Its old enough that is doesn't have advanced electronic control and is pretty much bullet proof if you keep up the regular maintenance. My 1990 Tristar has around 500 hrs on it and has never needed any major repairs. Honestly, the trailer has been the most expensive thing to keep up!

Bouyhead
07-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Going to take a 1990 MC PS 190 for a test drive. Does this year/model boat have any chronic issues? I have read the what to look for section on this forum. The boat has 267 hours with a 351. I am not sure what the hp is. This will be my 1st ski/boat how fast should it be stock from the factory? How much hp will the boat handle, and how fast before I will get myself in trouble. Sober driver with common sense. Thanks in advance for any advice

Do you know Hooligan?

Double D
07-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Do you know Hooligan?

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are... :)

Sent from Never Neverland using Tapatalk 2

d2jp
07-25-2013, 11:44 PM
have a competent marine mechanic check out the motor and transmission well. Low hours on a boat that old sometimes means that maintenance was not kept up very well. The ignition should have been upgraded to electronic from the points/condenser it came with. Its old enough that is doesn't have advanced electronic control and is pretty much bullet proof if you keep up the regular maintenance. My 1990 Tristar has around 500 hrs on it and has never needed any major repairs. Honestly, the trailer has been the most expensive thing to keep up!

I have an 89 PS190, and these are reliable, easy to maintain ski boats. And drschemel's quote about the trailer is pretty much the truth. Plan on spending a few hundred dollars even if the boat, engine seem perfect b/c if you hang out here long enough you will soon realize there is SOMETHING you can maintain better or upgrade:) But once you get the kinks worked out, basic maintenance of fluid changes, filters and impellor are very easy DIY and inexpensive. There is no engine control module (computer) , check engine light, crank postion sensor, oxygen sensor, limp home mode, etc. Just a basic Ford cast iron block, Holly carb and a throttle:) TT is a great resource, full for nice people that know a lot about the brand, and the associated water sports.
Good luck with the boat!
Edit: I should add, if this is your first inboard - congratulations you will never want to own anything else. A little different than an I/O in several good ways

d2jp
07-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Do you know Hooligan?

That may be the difference.

TxsRiverRat
07-26-2013, 01:33 PM
carb - make sure its a 4160 and not the 4010

92 190 PS
07-26-2013, 01:51 PM
carb - make sure its a 4160 and not the 4010

Don't take this the wrong way, but these types of comments make me laugh. I have a 92 ProStar 190 with a 4010 and my brother-in-law has the same boat. Both of us have had the boats for nearly 10 years and both boats run as good today as the day they came off the assembly line. I understand some folks have had issues with this carb and am not saying the 4160 is/or isn't better, just saying as with anything like this it's probably boat specific and I wouldn't make a decision on a boat based on a carb that runs fine.