PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this 2007 X Star SS

kcslator
07-24-2013, 10:51 AM
I have the opportunity to buy a 2007 X Star SS for $5,000.00. It is in need of a lot of work but here are some of the details. Is this a good project to take on?

Hull: No major damage... needs small gel coat fix in 2 places and some slightly visible cracking where the prop shaft comes thru the hull.

Interior: All vinyls will need replaced. Everything else in the boat looks good, all JL speakers work except for the sub, Tower looks good as well.

Electronics: This one worries me but the bilge, radio, running lights work and I am unsure of the ballast but it seems like it is in good shape.

Engine: This boat is not running... obviously with the price. It needs a new engine block (all uppers are g2g) and thermostats with some other small odds and end stuff but the mechanic said it would take about 4-5k to get it on the water. Seller says the block was bored .30 and the pistons were not replaced leading to where this boat is now.

JMLVMI
07-24-2013, 10:58 AM
At first I read $55,000 and I thought you were crazy. $5000? If you've got the time and expertise to get it back on the water, I think you could have yourself a good deal.

A new block means moving everything over, testing, etc. I'd budget 7-10k based on other's recent engine updates here.

clrussell
07-24-2013, 11:11 AM
If it was me I'd be interested!! If you don't buy it let me know and I'll look into it for sure

scott023
07-24-2013, 11:25 AM
A lot of potential there for 5K. Any ideas how many hours are on it? Even bugeting for 15K in repairs, you're into a great boat for 20K.

kcslator
07-24-2013, 11:41 AM
I am not sure how many hours are on it, where do I look to find that. I have open access to the boat if anyone needs more information to get a better idea of the condition. More pics to follow as well.

clrussell
07-24-2013, 11:45 AM
What engine does it have? If the electronics work turn the key on and the hours should be on an LCD screen in the tach I think

scott023
07-24-2013, 01:31 PM
I am not sure how many hours are on it, where do I look to find that. I have open access to the boat if anyone needs more information to get a better idea of the condition. More pics to follow as well.

Should say on the digital screen when the key is in accessory position.

kcslator
07-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Here are some more pics, still looking into the hours. Thank you for all of the replies so far.

scott023
07-24-2013, 02:15 PM
yikes, that's hard to look at. It's a shame.

willyt
07-24-2013, 03:16 PM
i mean... the hull is definitely worth that, its just whether or not you have the time and patience to put up with a project like this. your information says you're in the carribean? Parts for a full rebuild like this could be hard to find there.

in perfect condition, this boat would fetch probably 50-55 depending on the area. you could re-skin it for about 5k, new engine 5k, gel and fiberglass work is probably another 5k (yes, that gel crack at the rudder is probably all the way through the backing plate), all new underwater gear, 2k, and throw in various repairs for another 5k. Do you have 22k in the bank to blow on something like this?

if you do, great, would probably come out ahead, but man, that's alotta work.

homer12
07-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Those cross-members on that trailer look bad. I would test some rust spots and decide if a new trailer is in the budget too

willyt
07-24-2013, 04:06 PM
+ $5k for new trailer = $27k woohoo this is getting expensive!

kcslator
07-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Those cross-members on that trailer look bad. I would test some rust spots and decide if a new trailer is in the budget too

I will check the cross members today when I go home.

kcslator
07-24-2013, 04:29 PM
i mean... the hull is definitely worth that, its just whether or not you have the time and patience to put up with a project like this. your information says you're in the carribean? Parts for a full rebuild like this could be hard to find there.

in perfect condition, this boat would fetch probably 50-55 depending on the area. you could re-skin it for about 5k, new engine 5k, gel and fiberglass work is probably another 5k (yes, that gel crack at the rudder is probably all the way through the backing plate), all new underwater gear, 2k, and throw in various repairs for another 5k. Do you have 22k in the bank to blow on something like this?

if you do, great, would probably come out ahead, but man, that's alotta work.

I definately have the time, and have a budget of about 10-15k. I will get some better pics of the hull as soon as I can. I am military and stationed in Cuba, and I transfer in a year. My plan would be to do what I can here and finish it when I get back stateside. What do you mean by underwater gear, new prop/rudder?

kcslator
07-24-2013, 04:39 PM
What engine does it have? If the electronics work turn the key on and the hours should be on an LCD screen in the tach I think

It has the Indmar MCX 350 5.7L

kcslator
07-24-2013, 05:41 PM
I just checked the cross members and the rest of the trailer and all of the rust is serviceable but defiantly needs a wire wheel taken to it and primed, I guess the navy did teach me something after all :). After looking at it today I feel comfortable with the trailer other than the fact it will need new brakes. dodged a bullet there...

ahhudgins
07-24-2013, 05:49 PM
yikes, that's hard to look at. It's a shame.

Someone deserves and open hand slap in the face for letting a 07 get to that point.

Ironhorse
07-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Do it!! That poor boat needs to be saved!

kcslator
07-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Thank You to all who provided comments about this boat, I put the bid in today and will know on the 7th if I got it. So far nobody else has shown intrest... and this is the second time its been up for auction. If I get it I will be posting a new thread under restorations if you are interested in following the project.

DHPRO
08-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Get it? Looking forward to the build thread!

kcslator
08-30-2013, 11:45 PM
So it took longer than planned but I am the proud new owner of a 2007 x star ss for 5,000 bucks!

Bricksinmyhead
08-31-2013, 12:30 AM
You could mount a outboard on the back, and buy a couple of gallons of totally awesome cleaner. This should cost no more than 2k tops!

sallen
09-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Congrads and good luck with the repairs!