PDA

View Full Version : 2001 ProStar 209 - Cover Issues - will a HangTyte solve it?

TripleThreat
07-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Just came home with a 2001 ProStar 209 I purchased from a fellow TTer. It came with a Westland Cover that had been modified to fit around the tower. I replaced the hem cord and put in some stainless clips to allow the cover to be removed/installed easily and tightened in place.

The cover had a couple of rips in it, which I patched with some iron-on canvas patches and I built a PVC frame that fits around the engine cover to support the cover and hopefully prevent pooling.

That frame hasn't completely eliminated the pooling and I'm pretty sure that the cover is stretched a bit from previous water pooling.

I know that I will have to buy a new cover, but I am trying to make it through the rest of this summer with it.

I'm wondering if any of you have ever used a HangTyte http://www.hangtyte.com on your boat to resolve pooling issues, and if so, did you install it on a new cover. or one that has already had some stretching?

I plan to find indoor storage for the boat for the winter and will either have a custom cover made locally, or order one over the off season. I'm just trying to make it through the rest of this year without spending major money on a new cover.

Maybe I need to simplify and just make some support poles out of PVC rather than the frame I made.

Thoughts? Advice?

02ProstarSammyD
07-24-2013, 01:25 PM
I have a hangtyte for my 209. Solves everything. Best cheap product ive ever bought. No more poles

russlars
07-24-2013, 02:23 PM
This is what I use to prevent water pooling on my cover: http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Deluxe-Boat-Cover-Support-System

TripleThreat
07-24-2013, 10:23 PM
02ProstarSammyD... Thanks for the positive info on the HangTyte. I ordered one to give it a try. For $40, it's worth the risk if it will buy me some more time with the cover I have.

02ProstarSammyD
07-25-2013, 10:05 AM
I still have my factory cover. Last year it ripped open and early this year I got hammered with 6" of rain in like 6 hours. Ripped again. Haven't had any pooling or rippings since I installed it. Best 40 bucks you'll ever spend.......promise.

TripleThreat
07-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Awesome! Looking forward to getting it...

TripleThreat
08-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Installed the HangTyte... Pooling issues resolved! Now I won't have to spend $1000 on a new cover right now.

Well spent $40 in my opinion.

Simple install and great results...

TripleThreat
09-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Circling back around on this one... The HangTyte worked great in light rain, but we had a heavy storm blow through Saturday night and the pooling got bad enough that the cover ripped. I'll be ordering a new Sunbrella cover.

The old cover was pretty worn out before I ever put the HangTyte on and was pretty stretched out from previous pooling issues, so I would't blame the HangTyte. If it had been installed when the cover was still in decent shape, it probably would have been fine.