PDA

View Full Version : Octane Booster / water alarm vacation question

uplander
07-23-2013, 10:36 PM
on vacation and burning lots of fuel, can only find 87 and wondering if I should use octane booster or just run with 87. I have the 2002 LTR 330 HP motor

second question - the adapter on my ballast bag came loose and tested the bilge pump, an alarm went off and we killed the engine. it appears the alarm was coming from the perfect pass. the engine light did not come on. just wondering what was the alarm is it a high water alarm on perfect pass system ??

I have a 2002 X30

Thanks for any help and replies

JimN
07-23-2013, 10:52 PM
on vacation and burning lots of fuel, can only find 87 and wondering if I should use octane booster or just run with 87. I have the 2002 LTR 330 HP motor

second question - the adapter on my ballast bag came loose and tested the bilge pump, an alarm went off and we killed the engine. it appears the alarm was coming from the perfect pass. the engine light did not come on. just wondering what was the alarm is it a high water alarm on perfect pass system ??

I have a 2002 X30

Thanks for any help and replies

You won't really have problems using 87 octane, but you shouldn't expect it to perform like a champ. The ECM will retard the timing in 5 degree increments all the way to base timing if it picks up knock signal from the sensor, so detonation won't be a problem unless the gas is old and the air is hot and dry.

uplander
07-23-2013, 11:30 PM
pretty hot here in the 90's but humid also

Thanks Jim for the reply, I did not want to try something new on vacation and mess things up

Redstorm
07-24-2013, 03:31 AM
I have the same engine and was on vacation last week. All they had was the lower octane gas. Pretty bumbed. Tried it out and it ran fine. It was hot and dry in northern California. I was thinking the samething and was going to add octane boost. But it is difficult being out in the middle of Shasta for week.

jsta281
07-24-2013, 05:01 AM
Altitude is a significant factor too more altitude less octane required. With that said I would be surprised if your boat pulled any timing on 87 octane despite Hot humid conditions.

If you really do need octane this is the best stuff out there

http://www.jbsblownc5.net/products.html

I have run this in my street car that I race at the strip where 96 octane is required for my set up it is unleaded and totally safe. Mixing 32 oz of this into 20 gallons of fuel would easily net 2+ octane points. If you buy it by the 5 gallon pail it comes our about 12 -13 bucks per 32 oz.