PDA

View Full Version : Hunting for Jobs

LakePirate
10-12-2005, 03:12 PM
So I have been hunting jobs for a couple of weeks now and have come to a point where I need to fish or cut bait.

What I am seeking is any help you guys might want to offer as far as getting recruiters/headhunters working for you, acquiring the headhunter, websites/services that you have found useful. I have paid for access to one site as well as checking the usual with hotjobs and monster.

If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JP

Hoff1
10-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Donít know what type of industry you are in or if you are willing to relocate, but I got this guys name a couple of weeks ago. Heís specifically in the HVAC industry and has jobs from Texas to Minnesota to South Carolina.

Dan McKean
Management Recruiters of Traverse City
3622 Veterans Drive, Suite 1
Traverse City, MI 49684
(231) 947-8000
dmckean@mritc.net
www.mritc.net

One of my favorite sites includes Careerbuilder. I see youíre in Macon. My company has a couple of factories down there. They might have some postings.

WakeSeeky
10-12-2005, 04:31 PM
I've worked with a couple of recruiters that picked my resume up from Monster. Update your resume at least once a week when you're actively looking, it keeps you in the "new/updated" category when someone does a search. You can also do a job search on Monster or any of the sites, a lot of the posted jobs (at least for what I do) are posted by recruiting companies. Usually I've gotten a response sending a resume to one of these, although weirdly never for the job listed.

Depending on how big an area you're in, there might only be a few companies that really handle jobs for your industry. If you can, ask people who do what you do who they would recommend. This can also help keep you away from bad recruiters, which is a miserable experience.

Good luck with your search!

Cloaked
10-12-2005, 05:15 PM

Leroy
10-12-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm transitioning from my job in CA back hopefully back to the home office here in Carmel, internal is just calling people. Have about 3 more months in CA.

I've also looked on the outside and used Monster, and the JOBS on line with the Indianapolis Star (would think an Atlanta paper would be good. I've put a resume in at Lilly through a friend in the area I would like to work.

I find the headhunters tend to be best if you want the best job and are willing to relocate.

You can also target companies and all have good career/jobs section on their web site. Even if they don't have an opening send them a resume and cover letter with your career interest.

GOOD LUCK!

milkmania
10-12-2005, 07:16 PM
If you're into building aircraft, I can hook ya up.
Lockheed, Boeing, Leer, etc....

jimmer2880
10-12-2005, 07:52 PM
pls post what you do.... I may be able to submit your resume internally as well. We have a location in your area.

maristarman
10-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Your profile says IT director.

You should try dice.com.

bradamerry
10-12-2005, 08:20 PM
You can have my job, as soon as 137 hooks me up................ ;)

stevo137
10-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Pirate,
This is the best organization that I have found.
Specializes in $100k plus jobs.
More geared towards sales.
There is a monthly fee but it is well worth it.
You should have an updated functional resume and cover sheet in both text and word format.
http://sales.theladders.com/Homepage
Are you interested in changing careers?
If so, I can hook you up with some very good people that can help you with your resume and career search.
In the meantime, PM me your email address and I would like to send you some great info. that covers this subject in great detail.

Farmer Ted
10-12-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm looking at www.bradley-morris.com

a guy where I work filled out a card and they call him all the time wanting to know when he's ready to start....

stevo137
10-12-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm looking at www.bradley-morris.com

a guy where I work filled out a card and they call him all the time wanting to know when he's ready to start....
It's great to see one that specializes in Military placement.
All branches have some of the finest individuals out there... :worthy:

sten76
10-12-2005, 11:10 PM
www.monster.com
www.careerbuilder.com
www.hotjobs.com

Try all of them and look at the postings. Don't wait for someone to find you, go and look at what you want and get it.

LakePirate
10-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Here is what I have done so far

Dropped the cash for a professional resume and cover letter.
Paid the dough for theladders.com (must say that is a good site)
Thanks to some folks on the board got hooked up with a recruiter.
Using all contacts that I possibly can find.

I was an IT director but gained the responsibility of running a call center
on a day to day basis. Worked in sales to bring more customers to the call center (we are an outsourcer) as well as worked as an account manager to maintain/retain our current customer base. I am more than willing to relocate, however, would prefer to stay in the south (sorry boys, can't manage cold weather). If you guys know of anything out there please pm me and I will ship you my resume. Thanks again for any help.

edit* as far as the AJC, we posted a couple of jobs there and got about 500 resumes, I know from an employer it is out of control.

6ballsisall
10-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Not sure if I saw this posted above but www.upladder.com is a great website. I am not looking but subscribe just to keep tabs on whats out there.

Not sure what your income requirements are at all but I have something coming up in Louisville if you are interested. Shoot me a PM if you like

LakePirate
10-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Not sure if I saw this posted above but www.upladder.com is a great website. I am not looking but subscribe just to keep tabs on whats out there.

Not sure what your income requirements are at all but I have something coming up in Louisville if you are interested. Shoot me a PM if you like

jrandol has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.
:popcorn:

6ballsisall
10-12-2005, 11:38 PM
jrandol has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.
:popcorn:

Oops!! Give it a whirl now

Leroy
11-16-2005, 12:03 PM
My assignment is up in California and this is my last week there. I accepted a position at my home office last Friday which should work well for me starting 12/1. Good job, good people, something new and challenging, bla bla bla. Back in the RCA consumer electronics business, audio/video/home networks/communications(phones)/accessories. Will be merging 3 BU's into one BU, helping define the new organization and trying to get them to work together.

stumbledog
11-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Hunting here too. NW Ohio/SE Michigan. I am a Production Supervisor for GM in their Toledo Transmission Plant. Things aren't looking too bright here anymore. If anyone has a line on anything in this area, give me shout.

Leroy
11-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Monster had a plant manager job in northern Ind couple of weeks ago when I looked. Looked very good, but I don't want to move now.

Hunting here too. NW Ohio/SE Michigan. I am a Production Supervisor for GM in their Toledo Transmission Plant. Things aren't looking too bright here anymore. If anyone has a line on anything in this area, give me shout.

6ballsisall
11-16-2005, 10:15 PM
For those looking here's some advice from a guy (me) who recruits and hires sales people for my region. I get a ridiculous amount of resumes from my online job postings and most aren't qualified (one of the downsides of job postings online) and it gets really irratating searching thru the crap. Heres how to stand out.

1. Don't apply for a job thats WAY out of your skill set, but don't be afraid to apply for one thats withing "reaching" distance to your skill set
I.E. your previous job experience is at a local McDonalds as the fry boy, don't apply for CEO of a Fortune 500 company

2. Don't send a BS cover letter. TAKE THE TIME to write a SHORT cover letter that gets to the point and SELLS the employer on why you would be the right fit for the job. Followup with a close and ask for the interview.

3. Have more than one resume. Don't lie about your qualifications but have multiple resumes (your resumes shouldn't be more than 2 pages under any circumstance) Each resume should highlight a few key accomplishments/responsibilities at each job. Send the resume that most closely matches what the employer posts they are looking for.

4. Don't write a novel on your resume or cover letter. If you write to much you tell the employer you can't "get to the point" Be mysterious, give just enough info to get them "interested" to ask questions (I.E. Call you or want to meet you)

:twocents:

Cloaked
11-16-2005, 10:16 PM
........ Back in the RCA consumer electronics business, audio/video/home networks/communications(phones)/accessories. Any good word on the P4? :D :D :D

6ballsisall
11-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Any good word on the P4? :D :D :D

Sporty has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space

Cloaked
11-16-2005, 11:40 PM
Cleared. ........

milkmania
11-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Sporty has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space

we have a thread established for this type of post!!!:rant:http://deephousepage.com/smilies/spank2.gif

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/tongueout.gif

tex
11-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Listen to JRandol boys. I do recruiting for the largest IT recruiting firm in the nation and he is right on the money!

Leroy
11-17-2005, 10:12 AM
I almost took a position in the satellite group! I don't like how it is all unbranded now.

Any good word on the P4? :D :D :D

Cloaked
11-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Charlie has been compromised AGAIN... :D :D :uglyhamme

I'm luVin' it too!!

JDK
11-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Charlie has been compromised AGAIN..

This has been spreading like wildfire, and word is Bev is about to fall because the use very similar systems.

Cloaked
11-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Who cares? :D :D (in the kindest way)

Bev sucks anyway, according to my coRnadian friends.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing either... :D

JDK
11-17-2005, 05:48 PM
You're eXactly right. :eek3:

6ballsisall
11-17-2005, 06:22 PM
3. Have more than one resume. Don't lie about your qualifications but have multiple resumes (your resumes shouldn't be more than 2 pages under any circumstance) Each resume should highlight a few key accomplishments/responsibilities at each job. Send the resume that most closely matches what the employer posts they are looking for.

Oh... one more point to this suggestion. If you do have more than one resume please don't label them Resume #1, Resume #2 Resume #3 etc..... by doing so you are telling the employer your resume is BS and just made up. I speak from experience, I got 7 like this today alone :rant:

stevo137
11-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Very good points...

Cloaked
11-17-2005, 08:51 PM
.........Oh... one more point to this suggestion. If you do have more than one resume please don't label them Resume #1, Resume #2 Resume #3 etc..... by doing so you are telling the employer your resume is BS and just made up. I speak from experience, I got 7 like this today alone :rant:Jeff, consider this with the label as such; For example, !Resume_Alpaha Company_11-17-05 vs !Resume Beta Company_11-17-05, vs !Resume Mag Mania_11-17-05, etc... These file names I would consider labeled, but it is also a way to keep track of resume submittals to refer back to when reviewing one's efforts to pursue a job or to prevent redundant submittals, etc.... As a consultant in my working world, I send out approx 400 - 500 resumes per year, (if anyone has to ask why, you don't need to know ;) ) as the contracting business goes. Therefore I use the labeling method to keep up with my records. Afterall it now becomes a tax write-off, etc... Thus the labels. And to think someone may pass on an excellent candidate due to their records keeping. :idunno:

I too review 100s or resumes a year looking for support for any number of projects that I may be managing. There are various ways of doing business depending on the environmet. Good info all around here and I too can spot a BS resume with a blink. File 13 for that one... :)

BuoyChaser
06-22-2007, 11:24 AM
great stuff!!!

kycat2007
06-22-2007, 05:15 PM
I have been sending out some resumes as well. I am going to get with friend who has had some success with his resume in sales and see where I can tweak mine. I have been in sales for over 5 years and would like to stay in sales if possible. Located in Louisville, KY.

JKTX21
06-22-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm on the job hunt as well. I've found getting out and visiting and talking to all my friends and acquaintences has opened doors for opportunities I normally wouldn't be qualified for. Now I just have to decide what I want to be when I grow up!

cbryan70
06-22-2007, 07:07 PM
and of you guys mind taking a look at my resume?

MarkP
10-30-2007, 03:12 PM
So I have been hunting jobs for a couple of weeks now and have come to a point where I need to fish or cut bait.

What I am seeking is any help you guys might want to offer as far as getting recruiters/headhunters working for you, acquiring the headhunter, websites/services that you have found useful. I have paid for access to one site as well as checking the usual with hotjobs and monster.

If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JPI found resume help fer ya!! http://madconomist.com:80/stupid-****-people-put-on-their-resumes