PDA

View Full Version : Tips on trailer paint

andersonmc
07-23-2013, 07:50 PM
My trailer is in serious need of new paint. I'm planning on having it professionally painted and refinished in a couple of years but for now I'm just going to rattle can. What is the best process for doing this? Do I just sand down bad areas, primer, wet sand, then shoot with new white paint? What would be good to use to cover hull of boat from overspray?

clrussell
07-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Been thinking about this myself. But I couldn't bring myself to paint it with the boat on. I would have to rent a slip for a couple of days and let the boat sit in the water or barrow a trailer that will work while I painted the trailer. Then I could re do the bunks too.

FrankSchwab
07-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Been thinking about this myself. But I couldn't bring myself to paint it with the boat on. I would have to rent a slip for a couple of days and let the boat sit in the water or barrow a trailer that will work while I painted the trailer. Then I could re do the bunks too.

That was my plan when I parked the boat in the slip. A month ago. And still the trailer sits, unpainted, with partially covered bunks, in the garage. Sigh.

dfmaus
07-24-2013, 12:30 AM
I used a wirecup to take off the worst of the rust spots, primed, then sprayed(but not with the boat on!) I did not wet sand, as this was a temporary fix to stop the rust until a more permanent job could be done.
If you are decent with a spray can, it will look pretty good.

I admit it was not up to my usual MCOCD standard

d2jp
07-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Here's a link to a great looking paint job which looks to be done with boat on trailer...I'm thinking about trying it:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56063&page=2