PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump please READ !

Drake2785
07-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Guys & gals we had some major issues Saturday morning. I had some fuel pump issues on my X2 took the boat in the dealer had my fuel pump changed out. During the process someone left 2 of the bolts outta the top of the fuel pump ( attached is a picture you can zoom in and see that the bolts are missing) I had put $106 of fuel in the boat that morning which had a fuel tank when I backed the boat in and started it the boat immediately burst into smoke and flames coming from the fuel tank. Luckily we got the fire out before it burnt through the tank. I'm not telling everyone how to handle their business but this is one of those things I never would have even checked. Someone dropped the ball on this and I'm thankful nobody was hurt in this mess up ! Keep a eye on this kinda stuff no matter if it just came outta the shop or not they can make mistakes as well ! 98171981729817398174

Traxx822
07-23-2013, 12:53 PM
I will wait for your Dealers response to fixing this. If it goes sour, I will send them bags of $#it for a week.

PM me if needed Drake.

André
07-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks for starting this thread for everyone s safety!!!
With so many fuel pump failure and the work done in the Fuel pump 101 thread and many peoples tackling the job themselves(including me on a friend boat),it s a good reminder of what can happen when fuel leak in a boat.
Be careful all when replacing your fuel pump!
Again,real happy that you are all fine!

Cobra Rob
07-23-2013, 01:05 PM
I didn't replace the main seal or the ones around the bolts when I did my pump.. This thread makes me want to go change them now.

Drake2785
07-23-2013, 01:10 PM
I will wait for your Dealers response to fixing this. If it goes sour, I will send them bags of $#it for a week.

PM me if needed Drake.

Thanks traxx will do

tmacx2
07-23-2013, 04:32 PM
On my previous boat (non-inboard) I had the fuel pump replaced. I used the boat at least half a dozen times. I never filled it up. I usually never had more than 3/4 of a tank. The one day I decided to fill it up I had the engine hatch open for some reason. I looked down and there was gas all over the bottom of the engine compartment. The dealer forgot to install a gasket on the new fuel pump. Scary to think about what could have happened all the times I used it or if I didn't have the engine hatch open that day. Drake, I agree about checking it even if a shop did it. Glad no one was hurt.

Rossterman
07-23-2013, 06:04 PM
May want to have 3rd party check to see if they left out gasket as well (if the shop is trying to balk at paying for repairs). Wouldn't expect much leakage with 2 bolts missing but maybe some slight weeping vs. large amount of fuel spilled but in any case they should never have half assed the reassembly

xbot50000
07-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Fuel vapors are more combustible than liquid. Those two missing bolts allowed the vapor to escape, and well, the rest is in the pics.

willyt
07-24-2013, 08:38 AM
May want to have 3rd party check to see if they left out gasket as well (if the shop is trying to balk at paying for repairs). Wouldn't expect much leakage with 2 bolts missing but maybe some slight weeping vs. large amount of fuel spilled but in any case they should never have half assed the reassembly

i actually would expect alot of leakage... i replaced my fuel pump last year and didnt tighten those screws down all the way (had all of them, they were tight, just not tight enough). filled the boat up one night before we were going riding in the morning. i go back to the boat later that night and smell horrible gas fumes in the boat (which i normally never do) checked the pump assembly to find that in fact that was the problem.

zsqure
07-24-2013, 08:57 AM
I guess this could have been me also. About three weeks ago I Topped off the tank after our outing. While pulling out the wet gear I smelled raw gas. Lifted the floor up in the "trunk" and there was gas on top of the tank on the outside. WTH? I got on TT found the torque spec for the screws that hold down the fuel unit and torqued them down. Would they back out on their own? More and more I'm beginning to feel this boat was not loved by its previous owner.:o Thankful there is an abundance of information on here.

AZDave
07-24-2013, 09:05 AM
You ran the blower for 5 minutes before turning the key, right? I imagine that question may come up.

Drake2785
07-24-2013, 09:13 AM
You ran the blower for 5 minutes before turning the key, right? I imagine that question may come up.

Honestly do you know anyone who runs the blower 5 min before they crank a boat ????? I mean come on we all know how that really goes you turn the blower on then crank maybe 15-30 seconds I know guys that don't ever use a blower just saying though. That fact the bolts was not even there is the issue if that question comes up I had the blower on and all the engine hatches open.

dsword
07-24-2013, 09:18 AM
I had a similar thing happen. Had the boat in for 100 hour service where part of the service is to replace the fuel filter. Some time after that I filled with fuel. We always run the blower during fueling. My son says "I smell gas". Opened the engine cover and gas was flowing out between the tank and the canister flange. A couple of the bolts had been cross-threaded and were not tight. I re-threaded the bolts and tightened and the fuel flow stopped. Sopped up the spilled fuel, let air out and then we were on our way. If we had not noticed the fuel leak it could have been like the first post on this thread. I reamed the dealer a new one.

David Sword

JimN
07-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Don't touch anything on the boat! Don't tighten, check, unplug or adjust ANYTHING before you call the dealer, get the name of their insurer and yours. They had the boat last and you never had this problem before, so they really don't have a foot to stand on if they deny it's their fault. Also, this gives them a great opportunity to show their dealers what can happen if they screw the pooch on this kind of repair.

Since you're in East Tennessee, you could call MC to have their people (as an impartial party) determine the cause of the leak and advise the insurers about how much leakage can occur with missing screws.

Traxx822
07-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Honestly do you know anyone who runs the blower 5 min before they crank a boat ????? I mean come on we all know how that really goes you turn the blower on then crank maybe 15-30 seconds I know guys that don't ever use a blower just saying though. That fact the bolts was not even there is the issue if that question comes up I had the blower on and all the engine hatches open.

Running my blower is like second nature to me. 4 minutes at least everytime. Seen too many fires on boats to not use it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Drake2785
07-24-2013, 10:02 AM

Someone confirm this for me where would the neg side of the batteries be landed at ? There is a reason behind this I will go into detail once someone confirms where they go

Drake2785
07-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Running my blower is like second nature to me. 4 minutes at least everytime. Seen too many fires on boats to not use it.

Your better than me traxx I may go a min max I always use it when riding but on a start up I don't do the 5 min job

texasjet
07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
When we start loading stuff in the boat to go out, first thing I do is turn on the battery, then the blower, then the radio. By the time we have all the stuff in the boat and people in the boat, etc, the blower has been running for a good amount of time.

Just too much peace of mind for me to not do so on the initial start. Now out in the lake after floating, we have a harder time remembering to run the blower. 😟😟

chriscraftmatt1976
07-24-2013, 10:49 AM
I never use the blower, I pop the doghouse n let her breathe...

Drake2785
07-24-2013, 11:13 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/24/yga7y6ud.jpg98209

Someone confirm this for me where would the neg side of the batteries be landed at ? There is a reason behind this I will go into detail once someone confirms where they go

??????

46Chief
07-24-2013, 11:37 AM
I never use the blower, I pop the doghouse n let her breathe...

Won't do much to evacuate the fumes if they are in the stern where the fuel tank is.

On my initial fill-up of the season after re-installing the tank I neglected to tighten the hose clamp and had a fair amount of fuel spill into the trunk area. seems like another good place to inadvertently dump fuel into your boat if one or both the clamps are loose or have damaed the hose.

I'm seriously considering replacing my fuel pump gasket, considering all the fooling around with wiring to the ballast pumps, courtesy lights and slick boot I have running back there.

jgraham37128
07-24-2013, 11:40 AM
I'd call the dealer first. If I felt uneasy at all in the conversation, I would just stop and go get a lawyer. They (the dealership) has a major problem on their hands!

Drake2785
07-24-2013, 12:37 PM
They are trying to blame it on the perko switch wiring but it was wired as required by perko using their print so I'm meeting with them at 9am in the morning and we will come to an agreement or I will take it to the next level they wanna blame me for a issue I had no control over

chriscraftmatt1976
07-24-2013, 01:31 PM
They are trying to blame it on the perko switch wiring but it was wired as required by perko using their print so I'm meeting with them at 9am in the morning and we will come to an agreement or I will take it to the next level they wanna blame me for a issue I had no control over

Sounds like a dealer... Shuck and jive...

Traxx822
07-24-2013, 02:05 PM

Seriously, like it wasn't in there before. Did you install it after they worked on it? I doubt it. If anything they disconnected it and ruined it. I'd be getting a hold of my insurance company, having them go after theirs and then a lawyer to write a letter, and a bag of $#it on their door.

Drake2785
07-24-2013, 02:32 PM
It's a crock the perko wiring is not even burnt the main battery cables are not even burnt they are trying to find anything they can I'm a electrical engineer I do this stuff for a living but its ok no more mr nice guy after this

zamboniman
07-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Seems pretty clear to me..

Did said work on fuel tank..

Immediately following said tank leaks all over..

Is there any question? Fire or not there's a major boo boo here that is obvious

Drake2785
07-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Seems pretty clear to me..

Did said work on fuel tank..

Immediately following said tank leaks all over..

Is there any question? Fire or not there's a major boo boo here that is obvious

Agreed thumbs up

mikeg205
07-24-2013, 03:32 PM
major boo boo... could have been major boom boom...

Redstorm
07-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Tell them you will be contacting the media along with your attorney. Last thing they want is bad publicity. Good luck!

Worked Product Liability cases

If someone was injured, you would be amazed of all the responses and kiss a$$ you would get.

Also Keep goin up the chain! If no satisfaction see their supervisor and so on and so on. You will find that person who really cares about the customer.

JMLVMI
07-24-2013, 05:10 PM

I pop the doghouse when putting in and leave the blower on pretty much the entire time on the lake while "running" (in between skiiers, etc.). Unless we are parked, that thing is on.

Imagine the laughs I get when I say "Sorry, I'm anal about the blower" :D

Drake2785
07-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Tell them you will be contacting the media along with your attorney. Last thing they want is bad publicity. Good luck!

Worked Product Liability cases

If someone was injured, you would be amazed of all the responses and kiss a$$ you would get.

Also Keep goin up the chain! If no satisfaction see their supervisor and so on and so on. You will find that person who really cares about the customer.

I just don't wanna see someone get hurt over someone's stupidity or lack of expertise. This could've been a major ordeal but thankfully it was not & everything turned out fine except for my boat. It just blows my mind they can't step up to the plate. They wanna fish for a different answer besides the right one. They left bolts outta the pump and in return caused the issue it did.
Now I'm the one stuck with it not to mention the loss in value or trying to explain to someone what happen if I ever decided to sell it ya know just doesn't seem right to me. Trying to decided if I should just go ahead and contact the main MC headquarters since they are local for me and see what they say.

Redstorm
07-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Absolutely! Don't waist your time with someone who does not listen and not put safety first. Take tons of photos. Photos of the battery connections/battery switch etc.. Keep climbing the ladder and go to MC and let them know what has happened. I am sure they want to know.

Was anyone in the boat when this happened? Write down or record your statement of everything that happened and log everything you have done and everyone you speak to. Record statements of the people that were present. If you have to go to court, the more info and organized you are the better your results!

Your local media would be interested in this story since it involved a fire that could have resulted in seriouse injury or death and they are trying to cover this up. You are trying to prevent this from happening again and someone needs to step forward and make this right.

You have strong evidence so be persistent. Again good luck and keep us updated.

Traxx822
07-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Take to social media. They hate that. Gets results. Power of the internet.

Take this advise with a grain of salt. A lawyer is more my style.

mikeg205
07-25-2013, 12:03 AM

'What ever means necessary!!!"

JimN
07-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Your better than me traxx I may go a min max I always use it when riding but on a start up I don't do the 5 min job

Never read a boat owner's manual? Never seen a sticker on the dash of a boat that mentions running the blower for at least 5 minutes? When you're moving, the vents and ducting move more air through the bilge than the blower if the wind isn't moving at the same speed and you're not going in the same direction, but if there's air pressure on the bow or stern, the bilge air will be exchanged. The fumes don't accumulate when it's moving unless there's a problem.

Having looked at the photos again, I see three wires going across the top that have all of the insulation burned off and to me, it looks more like it would have been from a short than just being exposed to fire. How long did this fire burn? Who unplugged the harness from the pump ( the yellow-ish receptacle, next to the regulator just below the text in your first post) and the other couplers? I see several things that were unplugged when they normally wouldn't.

JimN
07-25-2013, 08:28 AM

Without proof, going to great lengths to tell a large number of people that someone did something wrong opens the person doing this to liability for damaging the reputation of the one said to do the damage.

Drake2785
07-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Never read a boat owner's manual? Never seen a sticker on the dash of a boat that mentions running the blower for at least 5 minutes? When you're moving, the vents and ducting move more air through the bilge than the blower if the wind isn't moving at the same speed and you're not going in the same direction, but if there's air pressure on the bow or stern, the bilge air will be exchanged. The fumes don't accumulate when it's moving unless there's a problem.

I've seen them but do I do it every time no I don't atleast I'm honest about it heck. So to answer your question yes I can READ and no I'm not BLIND. I'm just a honest guy that sometimes forgets about a blower like the rest of us!

Drake2785
07-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Without proof, going to great lengths to tell a large number of people that someone did something wrong opens the person doing this to liability for damaging the reputation of the one said to do the damage.

What more proof do you want there is the picture there the bolts are missing. Why on earth would I take these out I don't give to flying pigs what the fuel pump looks like as long as it does what it's suppose to work and it didn't so explain to me what more proof you want finger prints ....... DNA ....... What !!!!!!! Someone could have been killed or very seriously injured and you wanna talk about reading a owners manual and getting more proof ...... Seriously ! 98267

JimN
07-25-2013, 08:42 AM
I've seen them but do I do it every time no I don't atleast I'm honest about it heck. So to answer your question yes I can READ and no I'm not BLIND. I'm just a honest guy that sometimes forgets about a blower like the rest of us!

I never wrote anything about not being able to read but it is the boater's responsibility to provide safety to everyone in the boat (assuming it doesn't have a major problem). All of the precautions come before having any amount of fun, period.

Drake2785
07-25-2013, 08:56 AM
I never wrote anything about not being able to read but it is the boater's responsibility to provide safety to everyone in the boat (assuming it doesn't have a major problem). All of the precautions come before having any amount of fun, period.

That's exactly what I did I made sure everyone was out safe then proceeded to put the fire out. Now it's also MC responsibility to do a complete job and not miss bolts in a MAJOR fire hazard like a fuel pump do you not agree. If I thought I was gonna have to go behind them and check the job to make sure it was done right wouldn't I have just completed the service myself ?????

JimN
07-25-2013, 08:59 AM

What more proof do you want there is the picture there the bolts are missing. Why on earth would I take these out I don't give to flying pigs what the fuel pump looks like as long as it does what it's suppose to work and it didn't so explain to me what more proof you want finger prints ....... DNA ....... What !!!!!!! Someone could have been killed or very seriously injured and you wanna talk about reading a owners manual and getting more proof ...... Seriously !

Screws are missing- agreed. Has anyone checked to see how much fuel comes out when the tank is filled? May/may not be hard to determine how much could come out before the fire, now that the tank has been exposed to so much heat but with that many screws holding the pump in place, if the screws penetrate the plastic fully and allow fuel to come out through the screw holes, etc.

Proof doesn't come from looking at something. You wrote that you're an EE- if you were to find the cause of an electrical fire, how would you do it? You would analyze the circuits in question, determine possible causes of faults, check the value of components that are still viable and look for physical causes of the problem, right? You would be methodical about this and unless the source of the spark is found, there's no proof. It's possible that a loose fuel tank hose is the source of the fumes, too.

Like it, or not- using the blower would have reduced the damage caused and you may have been able to smell gas fumes before starting it, giving you time to open the engine cover and see the missing screws. If it was caused by the starter or alternator, it may be possible to replicate this. Your diagram shows an alternator with two field posts and two batteries- being non-OEM, some parts of any warranty are void because the boat has been modified, possibly by someone who isn't factory-authorized and that could be a problem for your case. Now that you have posted about not using the blower before the fire in a public forum and that you don't always use it, I would make sure of the facts before anything else happens.

JimN
07-25-2013, 09:21 AM
That's exactly what I did I made sure everyone was out safe then proceeded to put the fire out. Now it's also MC responsibility to do a complete job and not miss bolts in a MAJOR fire hazard like a fuel pump do you not agree. If I thought I was gonna have to go behind them and check the job to make sure it was done right wouldn't I have just completed the service myself ?????

OK, you made sure everyone was safe after the fire started but again, it's likely that it wouldn't have occurred if the blower had been run because someone would have smelled gas. Also, it's not MC's responsibility when someone else changed the pump. It's MC's responsibility to make sure the dealers have trained techs, but is's the dealer's responsibility to make sure the techs who perform some tasks know what they're doing. I can think of several reasons the screws could have been omitted, but none of them include being thorough on the part of the service department WRT being absolutely certain that every detail of the job was handled, checked off and documented before the work order was taken to the desk and the customer called to say the boat can be picked up.

Don't get mad at me for making these points- this isn't the fault of only one person. You're an engineer- you deal with objectivity in your job but you aren't being objective, now and that's understandable because you and your passengers were at risk but I think you need to take a step back and only concentrate on the facts, not the emotions.

I worked for two MC dealers (and worked on a lot of other brands) and I also did car audio/security for a long time. I had people make claims that I, someone I worked with or my shops caused problems and part of my job was to determine how the problem occurred after the fact and in almost all cases, someone else who was outside of our control had done something that was faulty. I worked with one guy who burned a car to the ground because he omitted the power amp's power cable fuse at the battery because "It has a fuse at the amp". Not someone I would want working on my stuff, but he was the shop manager, so there was nothing I could do about it.

For some, the first reaction to being blamed is to deny fault. To others, the first reaction is to look for a definitive cause, like pinched wires, faulty terminals/connectors, etc. My first response would be "Someone needs to check out everything to see what caused it" because just looking at it doesn't tell the whole story. My next questions would be: "What accessories have been added? Who did the work?, Are the starter and alternator Marine-rated?" and I would be looking for any possibility of pinched wires because of the look of some of the wiring (specifically, the fuel sender wires).

Drake2785
07-25-2013, 09:26 AM
This particular time the blower was on and yes you are right I'm not gonna argue over the fact of what parts have been changed or that are not OEM the problem is the job was not complete as I paid for. Now as for the pump fuel...... vapors..... Or both the screws are there for a reason ! same with me if I wired a circuit but left a resistor or equalizer out and lighting ran in and burnt your house or something down who do you think would be responsible ? Exactly I would be because it was my job to do the job with expertise and right from start to finish. I understand things happen but when you start changing the story and trying to find me at fault instead of the person who preformed the work I don't take to kindly to that. Just saying

CantRepeat
07-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Who disconnected all those plugs?

JimN
07-25-2013, 09:55 AM
This particular time the blower was on and yes you are right I'm not gonna argue over the fact of what parts have been changed or that are not OEM the problem is the job was not complete as I paid for. Now as for the pump fuel...... vapors..... Or both the screws are there for a reason ! same with me if I wired a circuit but left a resistor or equalizer out and lighting ran in and burnt your house or something down who do you think would be responsible ? Exactly I would be because it was my job to do the job with expertise and right from start to finish. I understand things happen but when you start changing the story and trying to find me at fault instead of the person who preformed the work I don't take to kindly to that. Just saying

I didn't change the story, but if this is investigated by at least one insurance company, and it will be, you need to be ready to defend yourself because the severity was preventable. If you had smelled gas, I doubt/hope you wouldn't have tried to start it. The fault of whoever worked on it is evident but when something like this happens, there will be plenty of finger-pointing, by all involved. One side says it was caused by the service tech, someone else will say it should have been checked by a manager, the manager will shift it to the owner, the owner will say it's MC or the part manufacturer's fault and someone is going to ask if you used the blower or changed anything.

Once a boat leaves the dealer/service shop, they have no control over what happens to it and in my experience of working on over 7000 cars/trucks/boats doing audio/security and a couple of thousand boats after that, things are messed with once the work has left the shop. It happens all the time and I saw a lot of it, done by people who should have known better. I guess the only way to avoid any blame is for the shop to shoot video of every little thing they do and have a team of lawyers on retainer in case someone goes public with something. If you don't like the cost of service now, just wait until this is necessary.

Be careful about using public forums and social media in this way- imagine someone using it against you and the effects of it on your reputation. People are far too eager to jump on a bandwagon, even if: A) they weren't there, B) have no stake in the situation or C) it's not appropriate to comment. Having written his, you came here to show what happened when you tried to use your boat and if it's found that omitting screws during the pump installation caused this, you'll be compensated. If, and it is possible, that the tank didn't have inserts for the screws in those locations, the leak is somewhere else but we don't know that yet, do we?

JimN
07-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Who disconnected all those plugs?

I wondered that before, too. I's also like to know why they all don't show damage from the fire.

Redstorm
07-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Wow....here are the facts. Who ever performed the work on the fuel pump left 2 screws missing. This is a PART that involves fuel, a very highly combustible/flammable fuel. The part was designed for all the screws to be in place at the right torque. (read other posts in this thread about screws not being tight enough). This part involved fuel and it caught fire at this point. If there was a short with wires and the screws would have been in place there most likely would not have been a fire! Mastercraft Engineers are far more intelligent.

....Someone seriosely dropped the ball on this one by NOT installing these screws.

Redstorm
07-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Blower or not...these screws should have been there! they are there to prevent fumes/fuel entering the bilge. With them not being there...well...fuel/fumes entered the bilge.

JimN
07-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Blower or not...these screws should have been there! they are there to prevent fumes/fuel entering the bilge. With them not being there...well...fuel/fumes entered the bilge.

Nobody is denying that, but I would argue that the fuel tank vent would have prevented fumes to escape, but do nothing to keep liquid gasoline from escaping. Obviously, this turns into fumes once it's out.

I have to wonder who will fess up to this but I can see how it could happen if too many people are involved in the intake-service-admin-delivery process and communication among the whole staff is bad. Not saying it's OK, though. It's never OK to let a serviced boat (or anything else) go without KNOWING that everything is right.

Redstorm
07-25-2013, 04:22 PM
This scenario could have gone BAD...and I mean BAD. The dealership service dept. and Tech should be thanking god and just repaire and move on.

There could have been injuries/ death or even worse, a disfigured child and disabled due to the result of fiire. Once this child enters the court room it's over! First thing the jury wants is to compensate for pain and suffering! DEEP POCKETS / Mastercraft. However the defense would never let it go this far. It would settle out of court simply due to the publicity!!!

Dealership needs to take responsibility,repair and again thank god. Someone really needs to have a talk with the tech/service dept so this will not happen again!!

CantRepeat
07-25-2013, 04:38 PM
This scenario could have gone BAD...and I mean BAD. The dealership service dept. and Tech should be thanking god and just repaire and move on.

There could have been injuries/ death or even worse, a disfigured child and disabled due to the result of fiire. Once this child enters the court room it's over! First thing the jury wants is to compensate for pain and suffering! DEEP POCKETS / Mastercraft. However the defense would never let it go this far. It would settle out of court simply due to the publicity!!!

Dealership needs to take responsibility,repair and again thank god. Someone really needs to have a talk with the tech/service dept so this will not happen again!!

I don't think Mastercraft would be liable for the work done by dealership not owned by them.

JimN
07-25-2013, 04:43 PM

It definitely could have been a lot worse.

I would hesitate to blame MC for this. They didn't service the boat and the dealer or any servicer won't necessarily do what they were taught. The only boats I saw with fuel leaks had been serviced using less than stellar tools, techniques, minimal knowledge or were neglected. This one wasn't neglected, but when someone leaves parts out, it begs for a lot of answers. Was the original tech called away and so busy/taken from one job to work on something else? Is he generally reliable, but slipped? Did they have their schmendrick work on this one? Are the techs frequently rushed to bill more work than can be done thoroughly/conscientiously? Does the place even have trained MC techs or do they hire anyone who can fog a spoon?

About the negative publicity- that shouldn't even happen until the dealer is given a chance to rectify the problem, point their fingers at someone else, or decline. The damage to a manufacturer, which doesn't need people dragging them through the mud ON THEIR OWN USER FORUM, can take a long time to recover from and I'm surprised this thread hasn't been removed because it's actually a violation of the TOA.

Drake2785
07-25-2013, 05:13 PM
The dealer has admitted that it was wrong on their part. The process was about 4 hrs and they admitted the fact regardless the bolts should have never been missed and left the parking lot like this. The boat will be fixed completely total damages are between $6 & $9,000 looking at a 2-3 week turn around on repairs.
Again regardless of the fact run the blower as intended inspect the work done before you just jump back out on the water & expect the unexpected bc you never know.

stuartmcnair
07-25-2013, 05:22 PM
I know you are upset and frustrated but be thankful no one was hurt. Everyone involved has probably learned a lesson about procedures and checklists and learned it without injury.

Good luck with your boat and wear that blower out.

Traxx822
07-25-2013, 05:23 PM
The dealer has admitted that it was wrong on their part. The process was about 4 hrs and they admitted the fact regardless the bolts should have never been missed and left the parking lot like this. The boat will be fixed completely total damages are between $6 & $9,000 looking at a 2-3 week turn around on repairs.
Again regardless of the fact run the blower as intended inspect the work done before you just jump back out on the water & expect the unexpected bc you never know.

So what do I do with all these bags of $#it?

Drake2785
07-25-2013, 06:00 PM
So what do I do with all these bags of $#it?

Traxx I can think of a few folks we can go put it on there porch and set it on fire then laugh out a$$ off lol

JimN
07-25-2013, 06:38 PM

I don't know about your dealer (or most of the others), but when I was employed by the second one I worked for, whenever we did any work that was performance-related, it was required that we take it to the lake to test it. That means fuel system, tune-up, major work to the drive train, prop, strut, steering, etc. We also tended to show the boat owner what was done. Having done this as a living, I make a point of being shown what is done on the rare occasion that I don't do the work.

Glad to see it didn't turn into a crapstorm.

André
07-25-2013, 07:05 PM
This time of year 2-3 weeks is a long time.They could lend you a boat... :)

Drake2785
07-25-2013, 07:17 PM
This time of year 2-3 weeks is a long time.They could lend you a boat... :)

Boy wouldn't that be nice haha I would just about bet the loaner boat is sitting at the owners dock cough cough I know it is lol

Drake2785
07-25-2013, 07:18 PM
I don't know about your dealer (or most of the others), but when I was employed by the second one I worked for, whenever we did any work that was performance-related, it was required that we take it to the lake to test it. That means fuel system, tune-up, major work to the drive train, prop, strut, steering, etc. We also tended to show the boat owner what was done. Having done this as a living, I make a point of being shown what is done on the rare occasion that I don't do the work.

Glad to see it didn't turn into a crapstorm.

They just don't do things like they use to that's the world we live in very few take pride in the work preformed anymore its all about the dollar sad to say but true

Redstorm
07-25-2013, 07:20 PM

Good for you Drake! The Dealer came out of this lookin like a true Mastercraft dealership!

Redstorm
07-25-2013, 07:27 PM
It definitely could have been a lot worse.

I would hesitate to blame MC for this. They didn't service the boat and the dealer or any servicer won't necessarily do what they were taught. The only boats I saw with fuel leaks had been serviced using less than stellar tools, techniques, minimal knowledge or were neglected. This one wasn't neglected, but when someone leaves parts out, it begs for a lot of answers. Was the original tech called away and so busy/taken from one job to work on something else? Is he generally reliable, but slipped? Did they have their schmendrick work on this one? Are the techs frequently rushed to bill more work than can be done thoroughly/conscientiously? Does the place even have trained MC techs or do they hire anyone who can fog a spoon?

About the negative publicity- that shouldn't even happen until the dealer is given a chance to rectify the problem, point their fingers at someone else, or decline. The damage to a manufacturer, which doesn't need people dragging them through the mud ON THEIR OWN USER FORUM, can take a long time to recover from and I'm surprised this thread hasn't been removed because it's actually a violation of the TOA.

Jim...I am just stating how the legal system works. Mastercraft dealership is mastercraft even though it is independent. They carry their name and pay to carry it! I respect Mastercraft, they are where they are today because of their product and the way they do business.

Don't want to drag this out but no one was drug through the dirt/mud here! The dealership did right and thank god no one was hurt!

Happy boating all and have fun!

Drake2785
07-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Jim...I am just stating how the legal system works. Mastercraft dealership is mastercraft even though it is independent. They carry their name and pay to carry it! I respect Mastercraft, they are where they are today because of their product and the way they do business.

Don't want to drag this out but no one was drug through the dirt/mud here! The dealership did right and thank god no one was hurt!

Happy boating all and have fun!

Thumbs up !!!!!

Redstorm
07-25-2013, 08:57 PM
:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhammeSo what do I do with all these bags of $#it?

:uglyhamme

mikeg205
07-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Good for you Drake! The Dealer came out of this lookin like a true Mastercraft dealership!

Awesome... 6-9K wow - the damage did not look that extensive - but what do I know... good for you.... and good for the MC dealer making it right.

Drake2785
07-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Awesome... 6-9K wow - the damage did not look that extensive - but what do I know... good for you.... and good for the MC dealer making it right.

I think the major thing was the center piece of fiberglass under the backseat has to be changed then the rest was mainly just Upholstry other than the fuel pump but oh we'll atleast its gonna be fixed ASAP so I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY !!!!!

JimN
07-25-2013, 09:51 PM
They just don't do things like they use to that's the world we live in very few take pride in the work preformed anymore its all about the dollar sad to say but true

I was taught that anything I do, reflects on me, regardless of who I work for. If I work for someone else, my actions reflect on the employer, too. Nobody likes to make mistakes (I hope) and even fewer like to admit making them. It's possible that someone may lose their job, but doing any kind of work comes with responsibilities and with this kind of work, doing it right is even more critical because it involves the safety of others.

JimN
07-25-2013, 09:54 PM
I think the major thing was the center piece of fiberglass under the backseat has to be changed then the rest was mainly just Upholstry other than the fuel pump but oh we'll atleast its gonna be fixed ASAP so I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY !!!!!

Make sure to inspect the electrical repairs and that they don't use plain butt splices for this.

Drake2785
07-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Make sure to inspect the electrical repairs and that they don't use plain butt splices for this.

Will do thanks jimN

JimN
07-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Will do thanks jimN

Some harness repair kits come with terminals, some don't. I use Heat N Seal butt splices that are crimped on and heated, to shrink the plastic tubing and activate the glue that will ooze out, completely sealing the splice. The only quick splice that might be better are ones that have low-temperature solder, which melts when the heat-shrink tubing is heated.

CruisinGA
07-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Some harness repair kits come with terminals, some don't. I use Heat N Seal butt splices that are crimped on and heated, to shrink the plastic tubing and activate the glue that will ooze out, completely sealing the splice. The only quick splice that might be better are ones that have low-temperature solder, which melts when the heat-shrink tubing is heated.

I agree, however if i have to pick I like crimp better. Sometimes the heat and seal are hard to find, then I use uninsulated butt splice and heat shrink.

When I'm in a "belts and suspenders" kind of mood, ill crimp, then solder and heat shrink. :)

JimN
07-25-2013, 11:34 PM
I agree, however if i have to pick I like crimp better. Sometimes the heat and seal are hard to find, then I use uninsulated butt splice and heat shrink.

When I'm in a "belts and suspenders" kind of mood, ill crimp, then solder and heat shrink. :)

They're both crimped before heating- that's why I like them. I got mine from AAMP Of America, but I think Parts Express sells them, too.

helton333
07-30-2013, 10:06 AM
I thought this was on this thread - what are the bolts to be torqued at? My washers have split a little over time so I ordered new ones (get them with new bolts at $1.xx each) - plan on just replacing them one at a time. I would think torque is very important on these. Anybody know for sure?

zsqure
07-30-2013, 02:02 PM
The 12 bolts on top? Look in the "101" thread in here. I think it says 49 inch pounds. Check it out to be sure. I've been known to be wrong before,( just ask the other half).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

helton333
07-30-2013, 03:16 PM
I found it on another thread - 49 pounds coming from JimN so that is good in my book. Dang, all this fuel talk makes me nervous.