PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Winterization - Pay or DIY?

RickDV
10-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Thought it might be interesting to poll how many folks pay someone to winterize and how many do it themselves.

NOTE: There is a good thread going on "Winterizing Woes." I don't mean to divert the discussion from that thread, so keep posting on that thread and take the poll on this thread.

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Last year was my first DIY and it's going to stay that way. It's not rocket science and it's a great way to get to know the ins and outs of your boat a little better. Plus, I take care of all my annual maintenance which I doubt is included in the price of all "winterization" packages.

ski_king
10-12-2005, 01:02 PM
I am about to do it myself for the 26th time on the same boat.
This will be my 24th storage season. I had 2 times when I got it back out after winterizing.

BuoyChaser
10-12-2005, 01:04 PM
i've always done my own winterization...have too many personal stories of my dad and grandfather having companies not winterizing properly, then you're still stuck with the repair bill in the end...

also know two guys, one at a reputable Tige dealer in the area and another at a reputable CC dealer and both lost their heater cores last year due to improper winterization!!!both dealers indicated they had to "File a Claim" in the meantime they were stuck with "leaky" heater cores for most of the summer...only the CC got his finally fixed!!!

X-45
10-12-2005, 01:48 PM
I don't trust anybody else with my baby. :dance:

MarkP
10-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Like Doug says, "its not rocket science"

Laurel_Lake_Skier
10-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Its an old story....If you want to know its done right, you'd better do it yourself!

MarkP
10-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Its an old story....If you want to know its done right, you'd better do it yourself!
Anything more to that story.http://deephousepage.com/smilies/listen.gif.

Leroy
10-12-2005, 02:00 PM
I hate working on my cars, but like doing stuff on the boat. There is so little time on them anyway!

Hoff1
10-12-2005, 02:04 PM
My rule of thumb, I would rather tear it up myself. As with anything, I'll do it myself unless it is completely out of my ability. If I can't do it myself, I usually let it ride until a complete failure. Stupid pride.

OhioX14
10-12-2005, 04:52 PM
I've had it done but would much rather do it myself. Local dealer charges $250 when I feel I can do it as good, if not better, for under $50.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Paid to have it done. Next year, if we keep this one that long, I'll do it myself. Not sorry about the price, or the work. I just didn't have time this year. But we shall see.....

erkoehler
01-17-2006, 02:52 AM
Paid to have it done. Next year, if we keep this one that long, I'll do it myself. Not sorry about the price, or the work. I just didn't have time this year. But we shall see.....

Just caught this, you thinking of selling out, or just upgrading?

milkmania
01-21-2006, 03:21 PM
I've had it done but would much rather do it myself. Local dealer charges $250 when I feel I can do it as good, if not better, for under $50.

same here...

flipper
01-21-2006, 05:04 PM
I do it myself. The shops charge to much, and it gives me a chance to check everything over. I would rather see for myself, than let some guy that hates his job do it.