PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Prostar 209

thomast
07-22-2013, 02:47 PM
I just bought a 2005 Prostar 209; to my surprise when I slowed down to pick up a skier the front end dipped under the wake of the boat and flooded the boat. Is that typical and I just need to learn how to pick up a skier?

MLD004
07-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Yes, that is typical. Used to happen to us all the time when we weren't paying attention.

sp00ky
07-22-2013, 03:12 PM
I just bought a 2005 Prostar 209; to my surprise when I slowed down to pick up a skier the front end dipped under the wake of the boat and flooded the boat. Is that typical and I just need to learn how to pick up a skier?

Yep don't do power turns to pickup your skier. Skier falls and you should slow to idle speed and then turn around its actually quicker and much easier on everything.

Nelsonjeff79
07-22-2013, 03:12 PM
I have the same boat and have read plenty of times on here that is a problem that is 60% boat and 40% driver. Myself and my ski buddy can avoid the nose dip, but as soon as someone else drive and does the ski turnaround with any weight in the bow the nose takes a dip and soaks everyone in the bow. Sometimes its kinda funny to me!

Ski-me
07-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Yep don't do power turns to pickup your skier. Skier falls and you should slow to idle speed and then turn around its actually quicker and much easier on everything.

^^^^ and this also doesn't send rollers down the whole lake too. Stop in straight line to idle, then turn. If you do come across waves, throttle up just slightly to get the bow up to cut through them.

The drawback of having cool, sexy lines on these babies (but worth it)! :cool:

mikeg205
07-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Power turns create rollers... you wind up nosing into your own wake if you don't let your wake absorb into stern... power turns also bounce your skier in rollers...

CruisinGA
07-22-2013, 03:20 PM
yes it is normal, it will become second nature to avoid it. You won't even think about it.

Especially if you have a couple passengers in the bow and no one in the back seat.

itch2ski
07-22-2013, 03:27 PM
^^^^ and this also doesn't send rollers down the whole lake too. Stop in straight line to idle, then turn. If you do come across waves, throttle up just slightly to get the bow up to cut through them.

The drawback of having cool, sexy lines on these babies (but worth it)! :cool:

Power turns create rollers... you wind up nosing into your own wake if you don't let your wake absorb into stern... power turns also bounce your skier in rollers...

100% agree with the statements above.

I will also be the jerk/honest one and say I disagree with the 60% boat 40% driver statement. I have never driven a 209, but I own a 92 205 and have driven several 190's and 197's. Can't remember having a time when the water came over the bow while picking up a skier, not saying my driving is any better than many members on this forum, just saying a more honest statement would be 10% boat 90% driver.

thomast
07-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it!

CCAnderson
07-26-2013, 03:24 PM
it cant be the boat if you can stop the situation with proper driving technique. No manufacturer can design out everypotential issue. And yes i do have a 209 and have filled quite full a few times. just had to learn not to drive poorly.