PDA

View Full Version : Shocking!!!!

jrut
07-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi there boat owners, im having trouble with my 2003 x-2. About a month ago some passengers alarmed me that they were getting shocked while on the swim deck or touching the v-drive cover. When the engine is running you get a pulsing jolt! Very quick zaps. Last time i took out the boat it was not firing right while near the dock also...when we got going it was fine then coming in towards the dock it started missing again. Im thinking plugs or wires or maybe a fouled distributor or module?? Any help out there would be greatly appreciated!

TxsRiverRat
07-22-2013, 02:06 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Jerseydave
07-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Check your spark plug wires, sounds like one may be off. Open spark in the engine compartment could cause an explosion so get it fixed fast!

Rossterman
07-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Probably some bad plug wires. I had a situation a few years ago where the vehicle started missing once in awhile and the plug wires looked brand new ( I had put on some performance silicone wires that were now a couple of years old). I kept driving it and eventually the truck died on the side of the road. I opened the hood and checked that plugwires and boots were are connected good and OK. Wouldnt restart and I could see a faint arc from the distributer to ground. Had it towed off the highway and got back home. Couldnt figure it out but tried new wires just in case. Started up and ran like a champ! No more arcing.

You likely have bad wires and spark is bleeding spark to surrounding ground (and likely your friends).

mbeach
07-22-2013, 03:00 PM
had bad plug wires in an old mgbgt car i had. mechanic told me to get a spray bottle, fill it with water, and spray a fine mist over the engine while running at night. if you see a lightening show then bad wires among other things. well, you guessed it looked like a summer electrical storm. new wires fixed problem and this method may be worth a try in your case.

Ski-me
07-22-2013, 03:08 PM
A really cool thing is to start the boat running in the dark. Let your eyes adjust and then look at the plug wires. If you can see some small, electrical arcs, than you are due for some new wires. You might be able to see the electrical path almost jump to other items and create a miss-fire.

I did it on my blazer and it was "cool" :).