PDA

View Full Version : Boat wax..

KxCorky
07-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Waxed the boat yesterday.. don't feel like it turned out as well as it should have. Anyone have tips? Also did the first coat of teak on the swim deck.. turned out a little better after the second run.

http://i40.tinypic.com/zlsw1v.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/29e6g2.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2dkbbes.jpg

Makes for a long day in the sun.. so far the worst sun burn I have had all year on the boat lol!

kskonn
07-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Look pretty good to me!

I settled into 3M Marine Wax, it works really well and really brings life to the gel coat. However, like I said you boat is looking pretty good.

KxCorky
07-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks! I just felt like I worked on it so hard and it didn't come out the way I wanted.. like maybe it needs to be hit again but another three hours of waxing with a seperated shoulder isn't in the books for me this week lol.. It seems like there are still water spots or something.

Indyxc
07-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Not sure how much you know about detailing, but against popular believe, wax is a sealant more than anything. Sure it can make your boat shiny, and makes the surface look better, because the wax fills in optical imperfections, but the key to a nice boat is polish.

Polish is what will make your gel smooth, shiny on its own, and even get rid of water spots. If the base is dirty, all wax does it seal in the imperfections.

KxCorky
07-22-2013, 01:17 PM
What kind of polish do you suggest? I want this thing to blind you when you look at it haha.

CruisinGA
07-22-2013, 01:18 PM
What kind a JS do you have there?

Putting a new engine in my '92 SX tonight... :D

KxCorky
07-22-2013, 01:25 PM
That one is a 94' 550SX. My uncle taught me to ride it when I was about 8 and I got it when he passed away.. Its all stock and will stay that way.. I have an 800SXR that I race, but its still fun to play around on the 550.

CruisinGA
07-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Cool story, lucky to have someone to teach you that young! I had never seen a stand up in person until 2 years ago.
I have a modded Superjet, but sometimes I still jump on the '86 JS or '92 SX to switch things up. If I could have a JS hull with the drivetrain of my SJ or 750sx, I would be set.

zamboniman
07-22-2013, 01:36 PM
polish with 3m products (I had good luck with some mild spotting and oxidation using the "cleaner wax" that has a bit of compound in it) and a nice random orbital like the porter cable with foam pads. Follow up with collonite fleet wax. Best stuff on the water but it doesn't apply like a normal wax make sure you get it off before it dries and work in small sections. Using this approach I think it actually goes on and off easier than a traditional paste.

KxCorky
07-22-2013, 01:37 PM
I never got the hang of the handling of the superjet. Think im just too used to the Kawi.. I took the sponsons off both my ski's. I get a good laugh out of teaching new people to ride..

KxCorky
07-22-2013, 01:39 PM
polish with 3m products (I had good luck with some mild spotting and oxidation using the "cleaner wax" that has a bit of compound in it) and a nice random orbital like the porter cable with foam pads. Follow up with collonite fleet wax. Best stuff on the water but it doesn't apply like a normal wax make sure you get it off before it dries and work in small sections. Using this approach I think it actually goes on and off easier than a traditional paste.

Thanks for the info. I will do that before we put it away this fall.

bigmac
07-22-2013, 02:17 PM
An attractive waxed surface comes from the wax itself changing the index of refraction of the colored surface. The problem is that if the underlying surface (gelcoat in the case of a boat) is oxidized, scuffed, or marred, it will impair the reflection back (no depth of shine). You can put all the wax you want on an oxidized gel coat and it will look fairly nice for about 3 days, then will start looking like crap again.

If you want your boat to look nice and shiny with beautiful depth of shine, surface prep will get you there, not wax. Surface prep means fine grit sandpaper if heavily oxidized or machine polishing if we're only talking surface marring or minimal oxidation. IOW, Porter-Cable or Flex polisher and appropriate multi-step polishing compounds.

As to brand of waxes...most of your hardware store and Walmart waxes are crap. The best waxes have the highest percentage of carnauba and fewer silicones. The problem is that carnauba is so soft that it will wear off the boat surface quickly. Silicones are better wearing, but don't have the same depth of shine. Best solution IMHO is to machine polish the boat, apply a polymer sealant like ReJex or Adam's Machine Superwax Sealant. Waxing over that will really make a colored gelcoat pop.

samasm
07-23-2013, 08:48 PM
I had a 94 PS190 that I polished several times. During the last few years of my ownership of it, I kept in on a lift over the water and did not clean it off/dry it off after use. I found that removal of the oxidation with 3M super duty rubbing compound (be careful with this stuff - it is pretty coarse), followed by 3M perfect-it, followed by 3M finesse-it resulted in a "like-new" appearance. After polishing, I would "wax" the boat with a non-carnauba based" wax - I was told long ago that such based waxes: did not last long and gummed up after extended exposure to water - whether or not that is true, IDK...but I still stuck with a Teflon based "wax". It definitely seemed to last long and did not discolor. Sorry to hear about the separated shoulder during this... I went through that trying to complete the above with one, as well - really a very painful endeavor for the sides, but not so bad when doing the bottom...LOL