PDA

View Full Version : 2008 x2 Muffler

davidstan
07-22-2013, 06:24 AM
I asked this question a couple of yrs ago and asking again to see if new ideas out there. I have the non silent master 08 MC that came with exhaust flaps/muffler and as a result is very loud. Wondered if anyone has a part number for a fix to tone it down other than the FAE and factory silent master. Taking her in for PM on the fuel pump in oct and would like to quiet her down while I am at it.

amcmac
07-22-2013, 07:20 AM
^^^x2

g-mantrix
07-22-2013, 07:32 AM
x 3 considering this for my 07 X2

bturner2
07-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Have you looked into in line silencers or new tips with baffles built into them? Rex Marine sells tons of this stuff......

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=silencers-inline-insert

davidstan
07-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Have you looked into in line silencers or new tips with baffles built into them? Rex Marine sells tons of this stuff......

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=silencers-inline-insert

This seems to be the best option but have not had any one on here share their success or failure with silencers or baffles. The tips won't work very well with the wake plate.

g-mantrix
08-01-2013, 01:27 AM
I am interested in the silencers from Rex marine, just sent them an ail inquiry to confirm which type, based on hose dia. Can someone confirm this, exhaust hose dia for a 07 X2 MCX engine, and perhaps if there are other options.

amcmac
08-01-2013, 07:21 AM
I'm seriously considering FAE but would prefer not having that contraption hanging on the back of the boat. I like the idea of the inline silencers but I'm with davidstan, I'd like to hear other opinions. Here is something I found on another forum.

I expect the FAE system is really quiet; it puts the exhaust down in I/O territory. An I/O would be like a 3 out of 10 and the Rex a 6 or 7. Still sounds like an inboard ski boat, just not as loud. Oddly enough the faster you go the quieter it seems to get. The sound changes pitch but doesn't get louder. At the lower rpm's the baffles probably aren’t working very hard but as you load them up with more exhaust pressure and cooling water they become more effective. Rex doesn't recommend them for engines over 500 hp which would make for a pretty deep breathing 351.They are beautifully polished and certainly add some high performance bling that grabs everyone’s eye when you pop the doghouse.

bturner2
08-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Rex has been making those for years. Back in my "Miami Vise" boating days the big boys would run those to keep the police off their backs for noise violations. I never personally ran a set as my Wellcraft had a conventional I/O but they seemed to be the standard for the more aggressive set ups back then. And as the post above states they actually looked good. What's not to like about polished stainless steel.......

amcmac
08-01-2013, 09:28 AM
I like the polished stainless look as well. The only thing I worry about is if these are above the waterline are they going to stream when there is no water running through them.

amcmac
08-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Does anyone know if you have to remove the exhaust manifold to put on the inline silencers? I know that exhaust house is very stiff and wasn't sure it would bend enough after it was cut to slip in the silencer.