PDA

View Full Version : Custom Jump Seat Project -- Prostar 205

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Okay, so for the last couple of years, I've been searching for an OEM jump seat for the walk through of my 93 Prostar 205. MC sure must not have sold many of these because I've only seen a picture of one of them apart from the 93 brochure. For the last year or so, I've been making do with a SN jump seat I picked up second hand. It's functional, but shorter than the observer seat in my boat. Okay, I'm anal and it just doesn't look perfect.

So in April, I had an idea. If they don't make the OEM seat anymore, maybe I can still get the skins and work backwards. I was right. Lex at Rambo Marine got me the OEM skins (with accent color on the seat back). In the box they remained until I had some spare time.

Last week, I built a base and had the skins stuffed. I made it from plywood. Using the seam dimensions and the dimensions of the walk through and observer seat, I cut the sides first and added a frame for support afterwards. I had to do some trial and error with the backrest angle. I wasn't true to the design of the original seat completely. Rather, I added a step on the bow like a smaller version of the 197. I also hinged the seat back, so I could store a cooler under it, as well as the seat bottom (so people wouldn't step on the cushion when they go up to the bow. I put some extra support under the seat base, added a plywood top, and covered it in non-skid. I also added a pair of cupholders (only one pictured). The curve on the base was tricky. Stacking plywood would cause it to be heavier than it already was. So I sandwiched 3/4" pieces of styrofoam insulation. As I feared though, contact cement eats styrofoam. So I remembered, if you can't duck it, fu..ggitabout it. ;) I wrapped my sandwiched foam in duck tape and cemented that to the side piece to get the right contour. It's purely for show and bears no load.

All in all, it turned out better than I expected. If anyone is interested, I can get the dimensions.

It wasn't cheap though. The skins alone were $220. Foam was another $25. Wood, cupholder inserts, marine carpet, non-skid, hinges, etc. It all adds up. In the end, I gotta say it's worth it for me.

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Just enough room for our small cooler. The integrated cooler just sounded like a hassle. Access to the people in the bow didn't work out either. Just couldn't get the hinged piece to gel.

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Here's the step. No more stepping on the seats and no more asking people not to step on the seat. Just flip it and they get the idea. Now the problem becomes how to remind them that they can't do dips on a circa 93 windshield. ;)

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Just a little view from the top. I initially planned to shoehorn one cupholder into this rather small panel. My wife complimented my handy work and added, "Where's yours"? So I installed the second one last night. It's driving me nuts they they didn't end up being as symetrical as I'd like, but I'll live. Also, I still have some trim work to do around the hinges.

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Last one. This is the view from the bow. A rather small carpeted step. Any bigger and I'd need a crew to take it out. Wood is heavy, but it works well and is strong.

bcampbe7
10-12-2005, 11:12 AM
Looks great Doug :cool:

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks, unfortunately, since things got a little "Texas cold" last weekend, I couldn't get more than 1 person to come skiing with me. :(

/Edit

By request. These are the dimensions that I used to get started. I had to trim things up in the end, but hopefully, this will make a good template for someone.

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Eastie,

Nice work! Looks good, and as close to OEM as you can get.

furevo
10-12-2005, 11:16 AM
VERRRY NICE WORK!
If that law thing doesn't work out, maybe you could learn 'tuck & roll' too
;-)

Kevin 89MC
10-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Doug, excellent work! That really looks great! :toast: You have the best of both worlds - bow access when needed and a wide bench for optimum viewing. Very cool! I've been thinking of doing something similar (only easier) for a jump seat behind my driver's seat - my closed bow has very little seat space when skiing. Maybe I'll hire you! Any chance you'd sell the SN seat? ;)
Kevin

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Kevin, the SN seat has already been donated to my father-in-law's 205. But his wife wants a custom job like this one, so who knows. I had it reupholstered last year to all white (and to get rid of the emblem). I've got the dimensions for it, too, if you're interested.

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 11:29 AM
And the dimensions of the "other" seat. ;)

Footin
10-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Very nice Doug, wanna make me one?????

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Shipping would kill ya. And no. The best part about that project was waking up and not having to do it anymore.

MarkP
10-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Nice work Doug..

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks, Mark. You need one of these.

AirJunky
10-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Great job, Doug. MC should be taking notes.

Kevin 89MC
10-12-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm sure if I ever get around to it, it will need to be a complete custom job, like yours. I share how you feel about the best part of the project - when you're done! Kinda how I feel about cleaning and waxing the hull.
Kevin

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 02:23 PM
P.S., thanks for the pm, Jim@BAWS, with the offer of parts assistance. In the end, I decided a DIY was going to get me where I wanted to be. The offer of assistance was appreciated though.

roddydog
10-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Very nice work! The idea of a seat behind the driver is a good idea, I think I might make 2, one for the other side as well.

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 02:35 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Too bad MC doesn't make this piece (they may still for the 205v). There appears to be a market for it.

mitch
10-12-2005, 02:38 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Too bad MC doesn't make this piece (they may still for the 205v). There appears to be a market for it.

Looks great, I need one!

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Glad you likey. Lex can get you the skins. I can give you dimensions.

jimmer2880
10-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Wow... very nice. You do good work Tex.

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Glad you likey. Lex can get you the skins. I can give you dimensions.

Would that seat fit next to the motor box in my 190?

DanC
10-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Nice job Doug :toast: Love the custom features like the cup holders.

Now you can change diapers without leaving the driver's seat ;)

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Erk, it's 15.25" wide in the front and 12" wide in the back. The newer ones aren't contoured, so that'd be a better bet. But last I checked, the later versions of the seats retailed for $650 or so. A wise seat from Academy or Overtons might be a cheaper option.

Big Spray
10-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Doug, the new folding seat looks great!! Nice job. The skins were worth every penny. You'll enjoy this for years. As for dips on the windshield, just put a couple of thumb tacks up there with some two sided tape -only takes one time.

Texas cold, you need tougher ski buddies - water's 56 here and air is colder, but still a few runs to go this fall.

NeilM
10-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Great work, Doug! my stereotypical view of lawyers is going to have to change...

Speaking of changing... from what I've read here, the 'daddy' role fits you well, too...

east tx skier
10-13-2005, 04:00 AM
Doug, the new folding seat looks great!! Nice job. The skins were worth every penny. You'll enjoy this for years. As for dips on the windshield, just put a couple of thumb tacks up there with some two sided tape -only takes one time.

Texas cold, you need tougher ski buddies - water's 56 here and air is colder, but still a few runs to go this fall.

Great idea with the tacks. As for my ski buddies, I have to keep giving her the option. I think I can coax her out once in November.

Great work, Doug! my stereotypical view of lawyers is going to have to change...

Speaking of changing... from what I've read here, the 'daddy' role fits you well, too...

I do what I can to fix what so many law-talkin' guys have broken. ;)

Yeah (checks watch, it's 2:57 a.m.). Just got him back down. He slept 8 hours straight two nights ago. Now this. But he won't be this small long, how could I resist losing an hour of sleep. Well, half an hour. I had to post a few. :dance:

BriEOD
10-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Looks good Doug. Nice handy work, even for an English Major. ;) I'm sure this will be a popular DIY thread for quite awhile. Can you give us a rough estimate on cost.

east tx skier
10-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Thinking out loud. $220 for the skins. $6 for the hinges. $6 for the marine carpet (1'x6'). $40 for the plywood (ballpark). Some of it I had on hand already. $10 for the wood I used to frame it. Foam would've run me $25. Got both seats stuffed and backed for $75 after the foam I originally went with was too squishy, so it depends on your comfort level with that kind of stuff (what it was replaced with was a dead-on match with regard to firmness). $4 for the cup holder inserts. $6 for the non-skid. Staples and composite decking screws and incidentals ($10).

I'd say $330 when all was said and done (add some bucks to let someone else deal with the cushions). Still cheaper than retail for a MC jump seat (assuming the later models were still available).

Ric
12-12-2005, 10:25 PM
How'd I originally miss this thread?? Nice work Man!

east tx skier
12-12-2005, 10:42 PM
I dunno. Thanks for the compliment though. I'd been wanting to do it right ever since I got the boat. Notice I eliminated one of my pet peeves by having a hinged base with non-skid for those likely seat steppers out there.

Ric
12-12-2005, 10:46 PM
only one beerholder though?

east tx skier
12-12-2005, 10:51 PM
No, it's got two. I just took the picture before the second one came in. Originall bought one thinking that's all I had room for. Wife asked me where mine was when she saw it and I shoe horned the second one in the next week.

vegashomeexpert
12-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Wife asked me where mine was when she saw it and I shoe horned the second one in the next week.
Your wife sounds like a keeper! ;)

Ric
12-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Perfect!

Prostars and minivans have evolved to a point where we have more cupholders than people capacity!

east tx skier
12-12-2005, 10:58 PM
At this point, I still have one fewer than capacity.

Waterski-Marcoisland
01-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Where is the best place to purchase OE skins for a 92 MC

erkoehler
01-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Where is the best place to purchase OE skins for a 92 MC

The colored skins are no longer available through MC, there was a thread on here that had a guys name on it that would make them for you, but they aren't OE. I believe someone said that you could still get them in all white. ICBW.

88 PS190
01-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Most interior shops could bust out the skin for less than 200, we had the two rear throw seats out of our I/O done this winter, and that is more yardage of material, plus multiple cords, and several trim options, w/ new foam for 440$.

east tx skier
01-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Call Lex at Rambo Marine. I got these OEM skins for the jump seat after you could supposedly no longer get the accent colors. Best answer is that you'll never know for sure unless you call. Have your Hull ID number handy when you do.

I also ordered a OEM skin with accent colors from Bennett's after the supposed deadline.