PDA

View Full Version : GOOD MORNING, Coffee?!?!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Coffee Drinkers?

Was on straight Black for quite a while, but somehow a few of my buddies started buying cream and sugar cups from the local coffee houses on their way over, or when we were on the road somewhere. No complaints, just drink it. I guess they didn't get the straight concept. I have been temporarily converted....:o

Right now I am on my second pot of Maxwell House. Smidge of sugar, and splash of Coffee Mate creamer. With Hazelnut flavoring for some reason(I don't know why). Adds something new I guess. :confused:

What's yours?

milkmania
10-12-2005, 11:03 AM
convenience store squeezins'

probably left-overs choice:(

you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?

ski_king
10-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Straight black for me, brand dosent matter, we use generic at work and I am used to it.
I drink about 3 cups a day, but never after 9:30 am.

The best coffee is the one I drink about at 7 am in the morning when at camp. I usually am in the boat idling around looking for a second and third to go sking on the glass.

MarkP
10-12-2005, 11:08 AM

The best coffee is the one I drink about at 7 am in the morning when at camp. I usually am in the boat idling around looking for a second and third to go sking on the glass.
Breaks my heart to hear a story like that

bcampbe7
10-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Just started drinking coffee a few weeks ago. Had to give up the Pepsi.
I bought the Starbucks (your welcome Doug :) ) ground at the grocery store. Also bought an automatic coffee maker so it is ready when I walk out the door.
Put a little bit of sugar and a little bit of non-dairy creamer and off to work I go. Drink a 16oz mug every morning.

bigmac
10-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Coffee Drinkers?

Was on straight Black for quite a while, but somehow a few of my buddies started buying cream and sugar cups from the local coffee houses on their way over, or when we were on the road somewhere. No complaints, just drink it. I guess they didn't get the straight concept. I have been temporarily been converted....:o

Right now I am on my second pot of Maxwell House. Smidge of sugar, and splash of Coffee Mate creamer. With Hazelnut flavoring for some reason(I don't know why). Adds something new I guess. :confused:

What's yours?
I alternate Gevalia, 8 O'clock Bean, and Starbucks. Whole bean, freshly-ground is the way to go (for me) -- black as night, hot as fire. I use a Cuisineart automatic grinder-brewer...put in the beans and water before bed, set it to go off at 5AM. Shower/shave/dress, let the dogs out, let 'em back in, feed 'em, fill up a 16 oz Nissan thermal mug and drive to work. Biggest downside is the rather substantial noise of the grinder going off at 5 AM . Doesn't bother me, but it can definitely be an eye-opener for house guests.

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 11:25 AM
This morning, it's Starbucks Italian Roast. Mmm. Mmm.

I take it with a little non-fat milk and, here's the kicker and if you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot, a teaspoon of Sugar in the Raw (aka turbinado).

Workin' 4 Toys
10-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Usually starts me off between 4 and 4:30AM. Last "cold" sip is gone about 9:30, thats what made me think of this thread. That last cold drip, "good to the last drop" they say.

I was thinking of getting one of those auto grinders and brewers. Have not yet. Sounds like I will have to look into that. Sounds cool.

milkmania
10-12-2005, 11:33 AM

I've heard of Starbucks

that's a coffee shop, right???

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 11:33 AM
I had the grind and brew pot from Capresso and it was a piece of garbage. Broke after a few months and was a pain to clean. I keep my grinding and brewing separate now and it's been great.

Cuisinart Coffee Maker has run strong for years. I used to be big on French presses, but now, IMO, paper filters are the only way to fly.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-12-2005, 11:35 AM

I take it with a little non-fat milk and, here's the kicker and if you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot, a teaspoon of Sugar in the Raw (aka turbinado).
Starbucks must be huge in TX. When we visited my brother in Nassau Bay a few months ago, he had to run out every morning for it. He has a starbucks brewer, but wasn't able to make a bunch of it in a timely manner. One cup at a time. And it was like work. Had to grind, then compact, then wait. I could have put my head under that thing and could have kept up with it.
Can't do that stuff straight. Probably do some internal damage!!:eek:

LakePirate
10-12-2005, 11:38 AM
The wife is a coffee connoisseur. She has an espresso maker on the kitchen counter. We re-did the kitchen in our former house and she moved it to the bathroom to get her latte.

I am a Caribou Coffee fan, black with sugar. Starbucks is too bitter for my taste. We don't have a Caribou in Macon so I have to buy it when in Atlanta, but the office signed up for the service and they mail it to us every month.

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Sounds like he is an espresso man if he's tamping it down. Good stuff, but a lot of work. I save that for the weekend.

The trick to Starbucks is that it's roasted longer. The result is that it's more bitter than a typical commercial blend. Some people hate it. But the bitterness is what hooks you. Do it too long and it's hard to have something different.

Best coffee in memory was the island blend our resort brewed us every morning during our Honeymoon in Antigua. Might have been ocean breeze and the fact that I had all the time in the world to read the paper and sip the joe.

bigmac
10-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Usually starts me off between 4 and 4:30AM. Last "cold" sip is gone about 9:30, thats what made me think of this thread. That last cold drip, "good to the last drop" they say.

I was thinking of getting one of those auto grinders and brewers. Have not yet. Sounds like I will have to look into that. Sounds cool.

Only way to go, IMHO. A separate grinder was just a big mess - coffee grounds everywhere no matter how careful you are.

Choices in grinder/brewers are the Melitta (http://www.epinions.com/content_54721678980), Krups (http://www.epinions.com/Krups_625_42_10_Cup_Combination_Grinder_Brewer_wit h_Programmable_Timer_Small_Appliances), and Cuisinart (http://www.epinions.com/Cuisinart_Grind_and_Brew_Coffeemaker_DCG_600BC_Sma ll_Appliances)
http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/a7/43/hmgdSmall_AppliancesAllMill_and_Brew_Coffeemaker-resized200.jpghttp://img.epinions.com/images/opti/5b/03/Krups_625_42_10_Cup_Combination_Grinder_Brewer_wit h_Programmable_Timer_Small_Appliances1-resized200.jpg http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006F2MI.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I use the Cuisinart. It's kind of a pain to clean, but I'm completely sold on the thermal carafe - it keeps coffee hot for hours without the chance of forgetting and cooking the coffee down.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-12-2005, 12:04 PM
I will go shopping tomorrow, Christmas is coming though. Might be a good thing for my wish list:) . Im going to start one now.... Its going to be line item 2, right under line item 1 new snowmobile boots.:eek:

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Coffee grinders were messy for me, too. But my current DeLonghi grinder rocks. And I hardly spill a bit. It's not a burr grinder, but it has settings for drip, perk, and espresso. What could be easier.

My Grinder (http://coffeetea.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=coffeetea&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jdoqocy.com%2Fclick-1763737-10379236%3Furl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.cooking.co m%252Fproducts%252Fshprodde.asp%253FSKU%253D215186 %26cjsku%3D215186)

sizzler
10-12-2005, 12:10 PM
surley you guys just drink it black and neat straight from the pot over -hanging the camp fire.....just like in the westerns......

dont shatter my illusions and tell me differently :cool:

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 12:11 PM
I hate to do it to you Sizz, but I don't wear boots unless I'm on a horse (and that doesn't happen too often).

Leroy
10-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Evaporated milk and hate to say Starbucks breakfast blend. Two cups every morning. Also the cold Starbucks drinks are really good, expensive though.

sizzler
10-12-2005, 12:17 PM
I hate to do it to you Sizz, but I don't wear boots unless I'm on a horse (and that doesn't happen too often).

NOOOOOOOOOO :cry: :shocked:

but you do go to work on the horse,right???????

and leave him tethered outside....

bigmac
10-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Coffee grinders were messy for me, too. But my current DeLonghi grinder rocks. And I hardly spill a bit. It's not a burr grinder, but it has settings for drip, perk, and espresso. What could be easier.

My Grinder (http://coffeetea.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=coffeetea&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jdoqocy.com%2Fclick-1763737-10379236%3Furl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.cooking.co m%252Fproducts%252Fshprodde.asp%253FSKU%253D215186 %26cjsku%3D215186)

Cool grinder. It's just that I like to get moving in the morning and I like to just have my fresh ground-and-brewed coffee ready to pour as I'm moving on through the kitchen, without taking the time to actually grind it and brew it. The best part is, my wife finishes off the pot later, and the rule is the one who empties the pot has to wash the coffee-maker parts.

NeilM
10-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Breaks my heart to hear a story like that

me too :cry:

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Cool grinder. It's just that I like to get moving in the morning and I like to just have my fresh ground-and-brewed coffee ready to pour as I'm moving on through the kitchen, without taking the time to actually grind it and brew it. The best part is, my wife finishes off the pot later, and the rule is the one who empties the pot has to wash the coffee-maker parts.

I hear you. But ground the night before isn't so bad. Just go with the timer and it's ready in no time. Plus, this grinder, when filled, grinds enough for 8 cups, which is what we make. So I dump the beans, grind, re-dump. As opposed to spooning the preground coffee. It all takes less than 1 minute. Just what you prefer though.

bigmac
10-12-2005, 12:34 PM
surley you guys just drink it black and neat straight from the pot over -hanging the camp fire.....just like in the westerns......

To burst the bubble even more thoroughly, out in the wilderness we use a battery-operated coffee grinder and a french press. And the water is often boiled on a Peak 8 Coleman backpack stove.

I've brewed coffee over the fire like that, but egg-shells don't provide grounds-control like the old-timers suggest.

NeilM
10-12-2005, 12:34 PM
oh yeah.. coffee... Typically Van Houtte or Starbucks beans, through a Starbucks burr grinder.

Helps with the drive to work...

sizzler
10-12-2005, 12:37 PM
To burst the bubble even more thoroughly, out in the wilderness we use a battery-operated coffee grinder and a french press. And the water is often boiled on a Peak 8 Coleman backpack stove.

I've brewed coffee over the fire like that, but egg-shells don't provide grounds-control like the old-timers suggest.
Yall gone all electricated and modern nowwww

bigmac
10-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Yall gone all electricated and modern nowwww

Welll...in Minnesota we are, pretty much, yoo betcha. I can't speak about the Texicans though... :)

ski_king
10-12-2005, 12:44 PM

Well Sizzler, don't shatter my illusions and tell me you drink coffee.
I thought all you Britts only drank tea.

sizzler
10-12-2005, 12:49 PM
english breakfast tea first thing in the morning.....

then earl grey,,,,,followed by either by an assam or a cheeky darjeeling...served in a china cup with full fat cream ...a few biscuits ..and of course muffins in the afternoon.....all prepared by jeeves(butler)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-12-2005, 12:50 PM
ummmm.... no coffee here. does that mean I am weird or something? :o

I do enjoy the taste of very sweet coffees, but I just dont drink them cuz I know caffine isnt good for me, plus I dont like the effects of caffine on me. I am a sugar freak, I love anything sweet. BUT I am one of those boring, drab, healthy people that eat right, excercise regular, dont smoke, no caffine, no fast food, drink alcohol very sparingly, and no drugs. I know, pretty boring, but I dont mind it. BTW, my blood pressure was 115/60 yesterday, thats my personal best. :banana:

sizzler
10-12-2005, 12:50 PM
how positively english

ski_king
10-12-2005, 12:52 PM
I haven't drank tea since the Britts started to tax it and my ancestors threw it overboard in the harbor.

sizzler
10-12-2005, 12:53 PM
hahahaha lol..........you only paid us back for damages a few years ago......

MarkP
10-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I make a pot every morning. Send René to work with a to go cup and the rest is all mine.

I used to grind it with a separate grinder but now it comes home already ground, (no time). I remember the good old days when I did have the time but I now need my stuff right NOW!! Hell, I used to mix my tequila into a margarita.. Not anymore.. Now I just dump it into a glass… instant gratification.

phecksel
10-12-2005, 01:16 PM
and the rule is the one who empties the pot has to wash the coffee-maker parts.
And ruin the flavor?

bigmac
10-12-2005, 01:29 PM
And ruin the flavor?

Trust me, condensation in the grinding system from the brewer makes for an impressive, concrete-like buildup of ground coffee in the grinding portion. One might get away with letting it go once between washes...

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 01:33 PM
I make a pot every morning. Send René to work with a to go cup and the rest is all mine.

I used to grind it with a separate grinder but now it comes home already ground, (no time). I remember the good old days when I did have the time but I now need my stuff right NOW!! Hell, I used to mix my tequila into a margarita.. Not anymore.. Now I just dump it into a glass… instant gratification.

I usually buy it pre-ground, too. Yet another reason to keep my grinder separate. Just depends. Sometimes, I buy the super-duper-sized bag of Sbux House Blend from Sams. And that whole bean or nothing.

milkmania
10-12-2005, 03:32 PM
dang, I just put my quarters and push the button:o

AirJunky
10-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Sounds like the Starbucks propaganda is working. I can't stand their coffee, way too bitter. And the amazing thing is I've lived near their corp. HQ for years. Even skied with their employees (who couldn't afford their own boat).
The Starbucks by my house here in LL would probably go out of business if it weren't for the tourists. But the small privately owned shops nearby seem to do pretty well.

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 03:45 PM
See, what'd I tell ya. Too bitter. You either love it or hate it. AJ, you ever tried Pete's Coffee? I hear good things.

AirJunky
10-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Pete's Wicked Ale? Hooked on their Strawberry blonde at the moment.
Haven't tried Pete's coffee though. The coffee we've been getting lately is called Doma.... roasted in Post Falls, ID. a few miles up the road. Smooooooooth..........

AirJunky
10-12-2005, 03:52 PM
I haven't drank tea since the Britts started to tax it and my ancestors threw it overboard in the harbor.
Hehehe, too funny..... ever heard of David Kinnison? Last survivor of the Boston Tea Party.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-12-2005, 05:32 PM
english breakfast tea first thing in the morning.....

then earl grey,,,,,
The last time I tasted that stuff was when my Dentist told me the tea bag would help stop the bleeding when my wisdom teeth where yanked out by chewing on it. We'll say maybe 15/20 years ago. And I still have that aftertaste. YUK!:eek:

maristarman
10-12-2005, 05:59 PM
I use this thing.

Just throw in the little coffee pod and it's ready in about a minute.

Very convenient and fast.

east tx skier
10-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Pete's Wicked Ale? Hooked on their Strawberry blonde at the moment.
Haven't tried Pete's coffee though. The coffee we've been getting lately is called Doma.... roasted in Post Falls, ID. a few miles up the road. Smooooooooth..........

Not the same folks, but I've had me the other Petes, too.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-12-2005, 06:30 PM
I use this thing.

Just throw in the little coffee pod and it's ready in about a minute.

Very convenient and fast.
Man, I think of how many times Id have to fill that little thing.

Leroy
10-12-2005, 06:50 PM
We were using the Bunn coffee machine and it makes a 12 cup pot in about 30 seconds! Now back to normal drip and takes 4-5 minutes....amazing how long that seems in the morning!

Dan K
10-12-2005, 06:55 PM
I am not particular on my coffee, the only thing I do is avoid Starbucks, they are too much like McDonalds or Walmart for me. To many of them and they stifle the mom and pops. I go for the small guys or carribou, coffee beanery if I must.

bigmac
10-12-2005, 07:12 PM
I am not particular on my coffee, the only thing I do is avoid Starbucks, they are too much like McDonalds or Walmart for me. To many of them and they stifle the mom and pops. I go for the small guys or carribou, coffee beanery if I must.

Never shop at WalMart either, I bet..... ;)

maristarman
10-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Man, I think of how many times Id have to fill that little thing.

Thats just the one to drink on the way to work in the morning.

We have that bunn coffee maker that makes a pot in about 30 seconds for "normal" (read: multiple cups) use.

That bunn pot stinks when you want to make a single cup.

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 08:07 PM
I will go shopping tomorrow, Christmas is coming though. Might be a good thing for my wish list:) . Im going to start one now.... Its going to be line item 2, right under line item 1 new snowmobile boots.:eek:

Christmas might be too late for those boots! The past two seasons, my first trips to Northern WI have come atleast 1 week prior to Christmas :D

Oh, and not a coffee drinker :)

Platprostar
10-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Two shots of espresso over ice with a splash of half & half to start each day! :shocked:

Workin' 4 Toys
10-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Christmas might be too late for those boots! The past two seasons, my first trips to Northern WI have come atleast 1 week prior to Christmas :D

Oh, and not a coffee drinker :)
You will be!!!!

And in reference to the boots. I already have some, lots, but no GREEN ones if you know what I mean!! I just bought about $1000 in GREEN clothes and stuff so far, I had to leave something for the wish list. I don't want my wife to think I have EVERYTHING;) .
Oh, and something came up for Sat. I should be there about 11 instead of 10.

6ballsisall
10-12-2005, 11:29 PM
The Starbucks by my house here in LL would probably go out of business if it weren't for the tourists. But the small privately owned shops nearby seem to do pretty well.

Ironic you mentioned that. I just got done re-reading the book "Beans" It's a great short read and I'd highly recommend for those in the business world

shepherd
10-13-2005, 12:52 AM
I've heard of Starbucks

that's a coffee shop, right???

Wife loves the place.
Me waiting in car: "How can it take them 15 minutes to pour a freakin' cup of coffee???" :rant:
Not to mention the price -- what, does she pay them by the hour??? :cool:

Last time, I dropped her off and went to Boater's World while she got her fix...

Big Spray
10-13-2005, 12:58 AM
5 Am???????

Workin' 4 Toys
10-13-2005, 09:28 AM
5 Am???????
Huh?????:confused:

M-Funf
10-14-2005, 03:29 PM
I drink Peet's coffee. Either French Roast or Italian Roast (burr ground on #5). I hate the mess grinders make, and I go through a pound a week...

I use the Bialetti Caffe Moka Express (6 cup):
http://www.bialettishop.com/Pictures/NewMochaExpressLARGE.jpg

Makes awesome coffee...but after "one" cup...I'm :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Dan K
10-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Never shop at WalMart either, I bet..... ;)
I can honestly say that I have never ever made a purchase at Walmart.

east tx skier
10-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I'll have to give Peet's a try I'm convinced.

erkoehler
10-14-2005, 04:01 PM
I can honestly say that I have never ever made a purchase at Walmart.

Good Man! :D

sassydog
10-14-2005, 06:07 PM
i take my coffee the way i take my women, Hot Black and Bitter!!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Good Man! :D
Is this a Target ad?

Erk, why does Target have issues with the Salvation Army?

BrianM
03-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Just a good morning to everyone. On my third cup this morning. Drinking 100% Kona with a little sugar this morning. The good stuff. How about you?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-28-2006, 10:34 AM
NO coffee here man! I dont do coffee. No caffine at all actually. I dont drink soda either. Just had OJ and V8 for breakfast at home, and I drink culligan water here at work.....all day! plenty of trips to the boys room. But my innards are in good shape! my kidneys and liver love me. :)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Just a good morning to everyone. On my third cup this morning. Drinking 100% Kona with a little sugar this morning. The good stuff. How about you?
Not sure what brand I am drinkin' this morning, but with this new "Sugar free, carb select" creamer she bought me, it has this "something missing" taste. On my 6th cup....:dance:

Leroy
03-28-2006, 11:27 AM
We switched over to 8 Oclock brand from Starbucks. Much cheaper and just as good.Ground fresh and 1 cup today.

east tx skier
03-28-2006, 11:37 AM
My father-in-law was stocking that stuff before he gave up coffee altogether. I may have to give it another look.

east tx skier
03-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Not sure what brand I am drinkin' this morning, but with this new "Sugar free, carb select" creamer she bought me, it has this "something missing" taste. On my 6th cup....:dance:

What brand is that. I've got some generic creamer at home and was wondering if it is responsible for the couple of pounds I can't seem to shed.

BrianM
03-28-2006, 11:42 AM
I use Land O Lakes Fat Free Half and Half. Tastes the same as regular half and half too. Only has 20 calories in 2 tbs and no fat. Don't use it in the Kona though.

TonyB
03-28-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm a coffee addict (and a coffee snob). If I don't get my coffee or enough coffee (8-10 cups per day) I get terrible headaches. I HAVE to have a cup as soon as I get up. My coffee maker at home is on a timer and the coffee is ready and waiting when I get up each morning. I'll pour myself a cup, take it into the shower, where I put it on a shelf and sip between the cleansing of various body parts. At work I've got a less than perfect coffee pot (thermal carrafe) in my office that I fire up as soon as I get in (so I don't have to drink the company provided "swill house"). I will be replacing it soon with this 1400 Watt bad boy...

http://www.boydscoffeestore.com/brewing/product-details/thermoKB741-DETAIL.jpg
Technivorm Clubline KB741. It is one of only two or three coffee makers approved by the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA (http://www.scaa.org/)). It brews coffee at the proper temperature (200 degrees F).

My favorite coffees are:

Peet's Major Dickason (http://www.peets.com/shop/coffee_detail.asp?id=118&cid=1005) and my everyday/all day choice, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters' Breakfast Blend (http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/prdCoffee.aspx?DeptName=OurCoffees&Collection=Signature&SubDeptName=LighterRoasted&Name=BreakfastBlend).

My opinion on adding creamers, sugar, etc. to good coffee is identical to my opinion on putting fruit in beer.

My :twocents: on coffee.

And probably more than you ever wanted to know.

BrianM
03-28-2006, 11:52 AM
I used to work in a small specialty coffe shop that roasted all of its own coffee. One thing that I learned there is the difference in many of the varities and roasting. One thing that I have found is that most of the larger brands ie Starbuck roast all of their coffee way to dark. This really kills the nuances in many of the more subtle varieties. French roast and Italian roast is just that a roast and not a variety of bean. Kona, Mocha Java and Guatemalian just to name a few really just need a nice medium roast to bring out the flavor.

Down here most prefer the New Orlean blend coffee and chickory and while good in its own right as cafe au lait it just doesn't do it for me all the time. I like a good varity of bean from a good roaster that knows what they are doing. TonyB would probably agree.

TonyB
03-28-2006, 11:56 AM
I love Kona but as much as I drink, I would go bankrupt in a weeks time. Blue Mountain coffee is another wonderfully expensive coffee.

However the world's most expensive coffee ($75/lb), Kopi Luwak, from Indonesia, goes through a special process.

' "Kopi" is the Indonesian word for coffee and the "Luwak" is the indigenous animal who plays an "active" role in the harvesting of the raw coffee cherries. The Luwak feasts on ripe, red coffee cherries seeking out the sweet taste of the cherry itself, wanting little to do with the parchment of the coffee. Once the Luwak eats the cherry, the parchment covered coffee beans are passed out of the Luwak, with the parchment cover still protecting the green coffee beans.

"The local natives gather up the limited amount of the Luwak processed parchment coffee, remove the parchment shell, and ultimately ship it to the coffee broker.

"Kopi Luwak has a very unique and distinguishable roasting smell and taste... like no other coffee.'
http://www.ravensbrew.com/media/kopiluwakmovie.gif

I've not tried it.

east tx skier
03-28-2006, 11:58 AM
I've been meaning to try Peets for some time. As for the no sugar in the coffee, I don't use anymore than is required for the spoon to stand up on its own. 8p And as for fruit in beer, I'll take a lime with that Dos Equis (but I think you may have been referring to the addition of fruit in secondary fermentation).

Anyway, pass the coffee.

TonyB
03-28-2006, 12:01 PM
(but I think you may have been referring to the addition of fruit in secondary fermentation).

Uhhhhhhhh, nope. ;)

BrianM
03-28-2006, 12:12 PM
I love Kona but as much as I drink, I would go bankrupt in a weeks time. Blue Mountain coffee is another wonderfully expensive coffee.

I don't generally drink Kona for the same reason but some friends of mine just came back from Hawaii and brought me a pound that I am just about finished with. I have had some Jamican Blue Mountain before and it was amazing. At the time (about 10 years ago) we sold it for $30 a pound. Great stuff for a treat.

"Kopi Luwak has a very unique and distinguishable roasting smell and taste... like no other coffee.'

Yah. like Luwak S**T! :eek3::uglyhamme

M-Funf
03-28-2006, 12:13 PM
I've been meaning to try Peets for some time.

Peets is awesome! I go through about a pound every two weeks for the two of us.

I was brewing in this Biallatti:
http://www.bialettishop.com/Pictures/NewMochaExpressLARGE.jpg

But some friends were ripping on me all the time about cooking with Aluminum :popcorn:

I was walking by the thrift shop one day, and saw another Bialetti with a porcelain top part...now that's what I use to brew. It says it's a 10-12 cup pot, but it's just enough for the two of us :D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-28-2006, 04:03 PM
What brand is that. I've got some generic creamer at home and was wondering if it is responsible for the couple of pounds I can't seem to shed.Coffeemate....It has a unique taste, I might be able to get used to it, I am trying...

6ballsisall
03-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Starbucks beans for us! We buy it at Sams Club

Leroy
03-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Just go for unsweeten evaporated milk....hmmmm good!

Coffeemate....It has a unique taste, I might be able to get used to it, I am trying...

east tx skier
03-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Coffeemate....It has a unique taste, I might be able to get used to it, I am trying...

I just grabbed the target brand stuff a month or so ago. Says "fat free" but I always wonder about the carbs. It tastes about the same as regular coffee mate. I may have to try the stuff you've got if I get the chance once this stash is gone.

Footin
03-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Tim Horton's....we buy it and brew it at home.

atlfootr
03-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Just snapp'd this off, while relaxing sipp'n dwn some Jo.
It's tough to be me .. :uglyhamme

ajgressette
03-29-2006, 08:28 AM
SHOW NUFF! 8p

Leroy
03-29-2006, 08:38 AM
What are you sitting around for?

Looks great as I look at my subdivision pond....sipping 8 Oclock again.

Just snapp'd this off, while relaxing sipp'n dwn some Jo.
It's tough to be me .. :uglyhamme

bigmac
03-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Our Cuisinart thermal grinder brewer gave up the ghost the other day - grinder motor seems to have gone belly up, so I had to buy a new one. The busted one had lasted 2 years 9 months, so I boxed it up in the box the new one came in and sent it off the Cuisinart for repair under the three-year warranty.

sizzler
03-29-2006, 09:17 AM
CHAI TEA LATTE from STARBIES

east tx skier
03-29-2006, 12:38 PM
About a year or so ago, I went with a delonghi blade grinder with indicators as to how fine the grind is, i.e., espresso, perk, drip. I'd had two burr grinders before it and they were such a pain to clean I hated using them. This one has been so far bullet proof and has been easy to clean and maintain.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Our Cuisinart thermal grinder brewer gave up the ghost the other day - grinder motor seems to have gone belly up, so I had to buy a new one. The busted one had lasted 2 years 9 months, so I boxed it up in the box the new one came in and sent it off the Cuisinart for repair under the three-year warranty.
Is the new one loud enough to wake up the neighbors too? I was going to get that one, but decided against the grinder combo because of the light sleepers in my house. I was glad you told me about it, I still ended up with the Cuisinart stainless, but not the grinder....

east tx skier
03-29-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm a big fan of the cuisinart stainless. Rock solid. However, I opted for a separate grinder after the Capresso ("Crapresso") combo grinder/maker crapresso'd out after only a few months of light use.

kalanic
03-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Bunn coffee maker for me. Full pot in 3 minutes flat. Not bad!

maristarman
03-29-2006, 05:11 PM

Agreed. Gotta love it.

If you ever need a spare or replacement coffee pot for it, you can get it at Kohl's for about 10 bucks. (We've got recent experience with it.)

kalanic
03-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Agreed. Gotta love it.

If you ever need a spare or replacement coffee pot for it, you can get it at Kohl's for about 10 bucks. (We've got recent experience with it.)
Thanks for the tip Maristar!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Isn't that one that "holds" hot water in it until you add more water and it comes out immediately? I had one Bunn 2 station unit with 3 standby warmers up top. I drink alot of coffee, but not that much. And it took up too much counterspace. It was FAST though.

east tx skier
04-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Good morning Mark, blue prostar 197, Brent, H20skeefreek, Leroy, mbradey, rlyons124. I'm heading down to start the grind. I still haven't adjusted for DST. Neither has the kid. He starts babbling at about 5:30 am, then goes back to sleep. Wish it were that easy for us. :(

east tx skier
06-10-2006, 01:03 PM
So do any of you guys have a good mid range espresso machine? I've got the $99 Krups model and it's pretty much a POS. I have, on a rare occasion, gotten some good crema with it, but you have to jump through hoops to get it (heat the basket, heat the cups, say a prayer, and hold your breath). Is there a good machine the next level up that could take the work out of a good cup of espresso?

André
06-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Doug
New girl is a coffee expert and sells expresso machines.
Her choices for low budget is the Breville machine or the Saeco Aroma.
She just sold a full automatic machine ,a Saeco,to my ski partner...
http://www.brevilleusa.com/products/esp8xl/
http://products.saeco.com/index.asp?id_lingua=ENG&id_paese=7

east tx skier
06-10-2006, 05:06 PM
......bump .......

André
06-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Doug
Nathalie is here and will answers any questions you may have on expresso macines.
She's asking if you're more of a big cup drinker? You may need more space under the spout ...

east tx skier
06-10-2006, 05:13 PM
I'd say I was. Doubles at least. Is she saying that I can make do with what I have if I just remove the drip tray, thereby lowering the cup?

André
06-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Nope.She actually said that your Krups is basically crap...Sorry!
Just make sure that your favorite mug fits on your new machine.Even bring it with you when shopping.The Saeco cappuccino plus will fit big mug!
The Breville is really cheap and is working fine according to her...I don't drink coffee...but have a brand new machine still in the box!

east tx skier
06-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Saeco makes machines for Starbucks, which can be had for a seemingly reasonble price on ebay and/or amazon. She is correct. The Krups is crap. You can make a good cup with it, but it's not worth the trouble you have to go to to get there.

tex
06-10-2006, 07:41 PM
I don't care what coffee maker or what coffee, just pour it half full of coffee and half of bailey. That works for me!

Workin' 4 Toys
06-12-2006, 10:23 AM
So do any of you guys have a good mid range espresso machine? I've got the $99 Krups model and it's pretty much a POS. You can get decent foam, but you have to jump through hoops to get it (heat the basket, heat the cups, say a prayer, and hold your breath). Is there a good machine the next level up that could take the work out of a good cup of espresso?
If I knew what espresso was, I may be able to help....... :confused:

east tx skier
06-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Perhaps this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso) will help.

atlfootr
06-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Perhaps this will help re: Espresso.Things way SLOW in east texas this morn'n? :wavey:

east tx skier
06-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm lost. ???

Workin' 4 Toys
06-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Perhaps this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso) will help.
Ok, so it's a drink that has been around since 1940.. I guess I'll have to try one to see...... Looks like a milkshake

east tx skier
06-12-2006, 03:27 PM
If you put milk in it, they call it something else.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-12-2006, 05:24 PM
If you put milk in it, they call it something else.
Sounds too complicated, Maybe I'll just stick with ordering my morning MUDSLIDE...... Usually takes the morning edge off. Things have been much clearer since I switched from regular coffee, not sure whats in it, but it sure is good. And the disclosure statement about not operating heavy machinery after drinking means very little...... My truck only weighs about 4000#...:rolleyes:

BrianM
09-11-2006, 10:33 AM
On my third cup of New Orlean Blend this morning. Hard to get roling this morning.

6ballsisall
09-11-2006, 11:05 AM
On my third cup of New Orlean Blend this morning. Hard to get roling this morning.

Rough night last night???? :D

BrianM
09-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Rough night last night???? :D

Yeah, broke my f-ing binding and am going to be off the water for a week :(

barefoot
09-11-2006, 12:01 PM
I drink about 4 pounds of coffee a day! It's the only way I seem to make myself work in the morning.

east tx skier
09-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Yeah, broke my f-ing binding and am going to be off the water for a week :(

What happened there? I got out yesterday and cut up the Guadalupe River on Lake Dunlap for the first time.

sassydog
09-11-2006, 12:18 PM
i like my coffe the way i like my women...........................HOT, BLACK AND BITTER!

chudson
09-11-2006, 12:40 PM
i like my coffe the way i like my women...........................HOT, BLACK AND BITTER!

Well ya know what they say, "Once ya go Black you never add cream and sugar again"

BrianM
09-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Been drinking Mocha Java th past few days. I am trying to wwean my wife off of the muddy New Orleans blend coffee and chickory. Good variety coffee is just soooo much better.

east tx skier
10-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Nope.She actually said that your Krups is basically crap...Sorry!
Just make sure that your favorite mug fits on your new machine.Even bring it with you when shopping.The Saeco cappuccino plus will fit big mug!
The Breville is really cheap and is working fine according to her...I don't drink coffee...but have a brand new machine still in the box!

Well, Andre, I am good in the espresso dept. I got a nice Gaggia Deluxe Espresso machine for my birthday. Just brewed my second cup and it is deeeeelightful!

André
10-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Well, Andre, I am good in the espresso dept. I got a nice Gaggia Deluxe Espresso machine for my birthday. Just brewed my second cup and it is deeeeelightful!
Good machine for the price she said!
Since i know nothing about coffee machine,she had to translate for me...
Looks like you got a Malibu...8p

J/K!
Happy coffee!
When was your birthday?(said the guy too lazy too look at your profile...)

OK,just checked,that gift is not suppose to be open...yet!

TMCNo1
10-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Starbuck's Breakfast Blend or Sheetz European Dark Roast in an electric percolator, makes the paint dry fast in your brush!

east tx skier
10-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Good machine for the price she said!
Since i know nothing about coffee machine,she had to translate for me...
Looks like you got a Malibu...8p

J/K!
Happy coffee!
When was your birthday?(said the guy too lazy too look at your profile...)

OK,just checked,that gift is not suppose to be open...yet!

It's great. Of course now, I feel compelled to look for a good burr grinder. Fortunately, it has an idiot proof gasket that seems to make it operate as a pressurized system, which makes it not quite so grind/tamp, etc. dependant.

I really need to start running my tests on the machine in the morning though. I was running around until all hours last night. Way too wired for a Monday evening.

Oh, and my bday isn't until tomorrow. Just an early gift.

atlfootr
10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
had mine :toast:

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2006, 12:56 PM
had mine :toast:
Mine too, as a matter of fact, still havin' some......:friday:

BrianM
11-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Where is everyone this morning. Only been 4 posts in about the last 40 minutes. Come on people Monday morning time to wake up.

On my second cup of joe this morning. Drinking Elephant Bean from Fresh Market. It is a quite good medium light roast.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I dunno.......
http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/obscene/eck16.gif

Workin' 4 Toys
11-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Where is everyone this morning. Only been 4 posts in about the last 40 minutes. Come on people Monday morning time to wake up.

On my second cup of joe this morning. Drinking Elephant Bean from Fresh Market. It is a quite good medium light roast.
I am going to jump to the conclusion, Many log in at work, and because of Turkey day, MANY take the week off.
At least around here they do....

east tx skier
11-20-2006, 06:44 PM
I am going to jump to the conclusion, Many log in at work, and because of Turkey day, MANY take the week off.
At least around here they do....

That's my excuse. Had about 5 cups of joe this morning for the sake of mentioning coffee.