PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Check Engine Light

chrison600
07-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi all,

Last weekend we were in some pretty rough water. On a few big hits, the check engine light would come on. Restarting cleared it until later in the day it became persistent. The alternator is new and since the behavior started after hitting some big bumps I think something may have shaken loose. Any immediate things that I should check? I'm thinking I might just lay under the dash and wiggle things to see if anything's loose...

Thanks,

Chris

mikeg205
07-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Is there a marina mechanic that can check for codes from ECU?

chrison600
07-20-2013, 01:15 PM

Does a 2001 store codes?

Chris

chrison600
07-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Also, would an intermittently faulting kill switch cause this?

Chris

mikeg205
07-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Possibly - switch might cause misfire code... possibly... I am not the expert on this JimN here is.

mikeg205
07-20-2013, 01:31 PM
You can also bypass the switch and see if the issue persists..

chrison600
07-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Just an update. Replaced the kill switch with a new MasterCraft unit. Hit the water yesterday. No Check Engine light at all, although the water wasn't as rough as last weekend so no big hits. We'll see over time...

Chris

SusanC200
07-22-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm having issues with an intermittent check engine light too...boat runs fine but the check engine keeps coming back ...I've had it looked at several times. I'm going to have that kill switch checked ...They were thinking I might need a new ECM.

monsterwake
07-28-2013, 09:04 PM
My 06 X1 started this today. Turn it off and then back on and it goes away but comes back. Then Check Engine came on with the beeping alarm and then would go into gear but RPMs would not raise even in neutral. ???

sand2snow22
07-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Monster, sounds like yours is in limp mode. I hope it's not the electronic throttle control. Have to plug it in and scan for codes..

chrison600
07-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Monster, sounds like yours is in limp mode. I hope it's not the electronic throttle control. Have to plug it in and scan for codes..

I agree with limp mode. My '01 X-Star would throw the check engine light, but on restart would behave normal, throttle etc worked fine.

Chris

monsterwake
07-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Some more info on my situation.
I had a bad tire that was causing the trailer to bounce like crazy. By the time I noticed the driver side panel had broken off of the 3 top screws was completely loose. So bad it had bumped the key and had it turned on. Only noticed because the radio was running. I am hoping the kill switch may be acting up. Or a harness is loose or something.
Does anyone know of anything behind that panel I should be looking at?

monsterwake
07-29-2013, 11:49 PM
I am posting on 2 common threads but this is what I did tonight.
I went through every connection unplugging and plugging back in at engine and under the dash. Finally I found on the ECM the connector on the right was possibly loose. As I was pulling plugs under there, every time I bumped it I could hear the gauges cycle like I turned the key off and on. I hope this is the problem. I could hardly get it to plug completely in.
I also found small pieces of leaves or something in the raw water filter. Might have been something clogging the hose to the transmission???
I will take it over to the lake tomorrow evening to see if I get the alarm again.

monsterwake
07-30-2013, 11:24 PM
I took mine out this evening for a test run. All went well. I didn't have the rear ballast in since I was checking the engine so I didn't have it under a full load.
I really think it was the harness connector on the ECM but won't know for sure until I load it down.
I could run all speeds and pull throttle back with no issues. PP worked great too.And I got the depth working too.