PDA

View Full Version : wakeboarding a 197

Cauley
07-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Just getting back to the water...is a 197 (x-7) going to offer too little in the way of a wake for decent wakeboarding? Not trying to turn pro, just have some fun and found a nice 10 year old x-7 for sale in the area. My budget for a boat is around $25k and I need something under 22'.

Or would you dare take a 2007 Moomba v-drive?

Thoughts?

3event
07-20-2013, 11:08 AM
What's the mix of activities planned in your family? Any skiers or barefooters? Or all wakeboarders? If you are all wake, you are probably best served by a vdrive. We lean to the skiing side and LOVE our 197 - it's OK for the beginner wakeboarders and I suppose I could sack it out further if anyone ever got serious.

Delta Don
07-20-2013, 01:00 PM
I have a 2204 197 with tower and ballast. My kids complain that they can't get enough air to land their flips (which they do anyway), but for a multipurpose boat, I don't think you can beat the 197. I am a skier so I wouldn't have anything bigger than an197. You can d always wakeboard behind a ski boat, but you can't ski behind a wakeboard boat...97986

Cauley
07-20-2013, 01:01 PM
No serious skiers but really just getting back into the water so not sure exactly what the family would like but leaning towards wakeboarding because they seem to gravitate that way when with friends. At some point I would like to teach the kids to barefoot (if only on a boom) as I once could. But otherwise just having fun.

I know old 190's and love how they drive. Recently drove a maristar 230 and did not like the handling at all (felt like it was sliding in turns and steering was heavy). So I thought the x-7 might be good compromise but not sure of the wakeboarding side of it.

Is the poor handling common of all v-drive?

Aric'sX15
07-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Just getting back to the water...is a 197 (x-7) going to offer too little in the way of a wake for decent wakeboarding? Not trying to turn pro, just have some fun and found a nice 10 year old x-7 for sale in the area. My budget for a boat is around $25k and I need something under 22'.

Or would you dare take a 2007 Moomba v-drive?

Thoughts?

25k will get a nice old x star!

madcityskier
07-20-2013, 02:36 PM
A 205 would probably be a great compromise. A 205v would handle much better than that 230. There are many derivatives on that hull, any one should work. If the family wants to bring friends something with integrated ballast might help maximize your space, but of course will run up the cost on you.

CruisinGA
07-21-2013, 01:35 AM
X9 might work

mikeg205
07-21-2013, 09:19 AM
No serious skiers but really just getting back into the water so not sure exactly what the family would like but leaning towards wakeboarding because they seem to gravitate that way when with friends. At some point I would like to teach the kids to barefoot (if only on a boom) as I once could. But otherwise just having fun.

I know old 190's and love how they drive. Recently drove a maristar 230 and did not like the handling at all (felt like it was sliding in turns and steering was heavy). So I thought the x-7 might be good compromise but not sure of the wakeboarding side of it.

Is the poor handling common of all v-drive?

Tell your kids to watch some of the pro wakeboards and scott byerly... they can land a flip without a wake... ;) - a 2000ish 205v is a nice all around boat - $25K is a nice budget... you should be able to find something very nice..

here's one that seems nice... and a good price so far IMO...

Also, not to be a summer kill joy... in 3-4 weeks boats will come for sale as season starts to wind down.. 3 months left for us die hards, but most people wrap up the season on Labor Day

yippikaiyay
07-21-2013, 10:01 AM
A 205 would probably be a great compromise. A 205v would handle much better than that 230. There are many derivatives on that hull, any one should work. If the family wants to bring friends something with integrated ballast might help maximize your space, but of course will run up the cost on you.

I second the vote for a 205, but I'd go with the DD. I've had the 205 and now a 197. With wanting to keep the budget low, have a hull that leans towards wakeboarding and can still throw a decent slalom wake.....205DD fits the requirements. With a growing family you may find the 197 a little crowded from time to time.

onejdgreen
07-22-2013, 10:21 AM
I've got a 197 that we wakeboard behind, sometimes with ballast bags, sometimes without. Its not a competition wake by any means but we can get some air and land some flips, well attempt them anyway... For th money you are looking to spend, a 197 is probably the best bet IMO...

02ProstarSammyD
07-22-2013, 10:29 AM
X9 would be a good choice esp with family

markmcfarland
07-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Obviously I'm biased since I have a 2003 X2 for sale. When I bought this boat in 2003 I was told it was the only V-drive that was AWSA certified. I used to ski the course several years ago and it works great for less than competition skiers. The wakeboard wake is good with factory ballast. I just bought a 2009 XStar and without additional weight the X2 gives you more pop. The Xstar will have to be weighted, because I know what the wake can be like. The X2 works for surfing, but is not the greatest. Boat will do 43 to 45 so it can be used for barefooting. Don't know how or if you can put a boom on it though.