PDA

View Full Version : Give me some ideas

Scot
07-20-2013, 02:19 AM
I need some inspiration as to why I should keep my beloved 81 S&S. Not that I dont love the boat, I do, I just hate a few things and need some input.

First off, I am an old school ski boat guy, grew up with an 83 American Skier, love all things behind the boat but nothing beats a slalom course.

Bought this boat a year and a half ago, stripped it to fiberglass and replaced stringers, rebuilt tranny, went through everything except the good old 351 that powers it. Here are my main issues...

1. Boat had a lot of damaged gel and paint over the the stripes when I bought it. I had the whole thing painted and I hate it. Put the original decals back on and it looks good from far but far from good. Gel underneath is not worth sanding to. Would love to re-gel it but not sure who to trust or how much it will cost. What about a vinyl wrap? How much? Do they look good on a boat?

2. I love the idea of a tower but will not put one on a classic. I am a skier who wakeboards recreationally, but I am so envious of the overhead storage my friends have. And all the other junk they bolt on to those things. There has to be a compromise, I just need some ideas.

The boat already had no storage in the bow when I bought it as it was full of (water logged) foam. It now has no foam, which makes me a little nervous if it's in the water overnight. I am still tired of tripping over skis and stuff, even though I've been doing it my whole life.

Is there hope for me to keep loving my old boat or should I admit that times have changed and so have I and move on?

SSMoose
07-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Times have changed. Some of us continue to hold on to the old days because of our makeup. Others due to the older boats that we own and love. I don't want a new boat! I like my 83 S+S and continue to try keeping it original.
Some just must move on to newer stuff. Good luck with your decision.

tph
07-20-2013, 04:07 PM
I like my '83 as well. Does your '81 have storage under the bow? Though it's inconvenient to get to sometimes, it's fairly large. I have thought about selling many times, but then I take some 7:00 A.M. runs on great water and remember why I bought it.

mikeg205
07-20-2013, 04:31 PM
If you got a yearning for something new - maybe it's time to move on.... especially if some the items get in your craw..

Scot
07-22-2013, 02:21 AM
I like my '83 as well. Does your '81 have storage under the bow? Though it's inconvenient to get to sometimes, it's fairly large. I have thought about selling many times, but then I take some 7:00 A.M. runs on great water and remember why I bought it.

Didn't originally have under-bow storage, it was full of foam. Pulled it out and now I have it. I love the boat. If I came up with a way to make it look better than it does with its current paint and bring myself to put a tower on it I would be happy. I should just do it. As far as resale, people like towers and its classic appeal is already diminished by the paint. Again, I am a skier, but damn those towers are functional.

Ironhorse
07-22-2013, 09:16 AM
If you have to ask, its time to move on.

jschildm
07-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Could do an extended pylon, then it could also be removed if desired. They make them with board racks/light bars/speakers/biminis/etc.

chriscraftmatt1976
07-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Sounds like you're ready for a new boat to me. Some of the 90's boats are a nice mix of classic feel and modern conveniences. A nice 205 open bow with a tower perhaps?