PDA

View Full Version : Need some Team help on Belt Change 350 TBI

Stritt
07-19-2013, 08:08 AM
We were lucky last weekend, as we put the boat on the trailer the belt broke. It was late so we took boat to storage. We are heading back up this weekend and I forgot which size Allen the water pump is held on the bottom. I recall this needs to come off to replace belt. Anyone know the size so I can make sure I have tools needed? Also, if you have a pic of a 350 TBI 94 through 98 era so I can see how the belt is routed.

I have 2 new belts on the boat so just a simple replace.

Thank you! If you are ever at Dale Hollow between Sunset and Jolly Creek stop by for a cold beer or ski. 97 Sammy and 32 Pontoon Houseboat. We are there most weekends.

mikeg205
07-19-2013, 09:30 AM
I don't believe you need to replace raw water pump... just the support bracket... then partially thread belt until its almost on ... turn engine starter... belt should pop on.

JimN
07-19-2013, 09:58 AM
We were lucky last weekend, as we put the boat on the trailer the belt broke. It was late so we took boat to storage. We are heading back up this weekend and I forgot which size Allen the water pump is held on the bottom. I recall this needs to come off to replace belt. Anyone know the size so I can make sure I have tools needed? Also, if you have a pic of a 350 TBI 94 through 98 era so I can see how the belt is routed.

I have 2 new belts on the boat so just a simple replace.

Thank you! If you are ever at Dale Hollow between Sunset and Jolly Creek stop by for a cold beer or ski. 97 Sammy and 32 Pontoon Houseboat. We are there most weekends.

Buy a set of SAE and Metric Allen wrenches. Home Depot has a pack with both fro less than $15. If you may ever be in the position of having to remove the water pump or exhaust manifolds completely, you'll want the long ones that mount on a ratchet.

ahhudgins
07-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Buy a set of SAE and Metric Allen wrenches. Home Depot has a pack with both fro less than $15. If you may ever be in the position of having to remove the water pump or exhaust manifolds completely, you'll want the long ones that mount on a ratchet.

Exactly. Why chance it and only take one wrench that could be the wrong one. IIRC, I had to grind down an allen wrench to get the rear riser bolts out but now I've always got it in the tool box.

etduc
07-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Here you go, I prefer higher quality tools, but these pretty good. You can get a dual set for under 10.00.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=allen+wrench+set

mikeg205
07-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Here's a pic of the engine...

JimN
07-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Exactly. Why chance it and only take one wrench that could be the wrong one. IIRC, I had to grind down an allen wrench to get the rear riser bolts out but now I've always got it in the tool box.

If the one you ground breaks, look for the ball-end type. They make exhaust manifold/riser bolt removal very easy. Well, pretty easy, anyway.

Stritt
07-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Thank you! I will pick up a set a store and thanks for pictures...

Have a great weekend.