PDA

View Full Version : Which Wakeboard to buy?

OhioX14
10-11-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm looking to purchase my first wakeboard now that we purchased our X9 and I could use a little advise.

I'm a mid-40's, 175lb. old fart who would like to learn, at a minimum, wake to wake's, 180's, and a few grabs. I doubt I'll attempt any inverts although I can always dream. I'm leaning towards Hyperlite's products based of my sons success with two of their boards. He presently rides an '05 Byerly which he loves. I've done some reading on rocker, length, width, etc. but it still leaves me wondering which way to go. I want a board that I can grown into with regards to performance, but one that will still be easy to ride.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Geoff

Footin
10-11-2005, 06:23 PM
He Geoff,

I bought an Obrien Science earlier this year, it was last years colors so it was about half price. I have been very happy with it.
I am like you with riding skills, some jumps, butter slides...etc, and I am also from West Akron!

Where do you ride? Berlin, Westbranch, Springfield......the dreaded Portage Lakes?

You are lucky to have a great local dealer (I have known Chris at Mid Ohio for 20 years).

Good luck with whatever board you choose.

planoboy
10-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Our local watersports retailer demos equipment thru out season, then has endo season sale. You might be able to buy a high end board for less, limited selection. (1/2 off demo/sale) I piicked up and would recommend the cwb marius 140. It's a nice wide ride.

mitch
10-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm looking to purchase my first wakeboard now that we purchased our X9 and I could use a little advise.

I'm a mid-40's, 175lb. old fart who would like to learn, at a minimum, wake to wake's, 180's, and a few grabs. I doubt I'll attempt any inverts although I can always dream. I'm leaning towards Hyperlite's products based of my sons success with two of their boards. He presently rides an '05 Byerly which he loves. I've done some reading on rocker, length, width, etc. but it still leaves me wondering which way to go. I want a board that I can grown into with regards to performance, but one that will still be easy to ride.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Geoff

I also like HL a lot. Stay w/ a continuous rocker like something in the the Murray series based on your size a 138.1 DNA would be nice. Very sooth and forgiving. I've ridden HL for years and the one problem I had (w/ 02 Belmonts binders) HL stood behind their product 100%. Good luck!

SKI*MC
10-11-2005, 09:19 PM
the murray boards are very realxed boards, i love them. But i would go with a little bit bigger of a size. more like 140...

OhioX14
10-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advise! I've been checking out the HL Murray and like the design. It comes in a 138 and 142 and I'm not quite sure which to go with. Any ideas on the best bang for the buck HL boots?

Footin: Always good to touch base with a former local. Used to do West Branch, Berlin, Milton, and have been on Portage Lakes but have no interest in skiing there. We've been doing the private lake thing now for the last 5 years and like it a lot. I agree on Chris. We just purchased the X9 from him and our previous boat from Ron. As long as he is there we know where we'll buy our boats. Go Bucks!!

mitch
10-11-2005, 09:42 PM
the murray boards are very realxed boards, i love them. But i would go with a little bit bigger of a size. more like 140...

I used to ride a bigger board, 140, 142, 143cm. I'm 195lbs and on a 136. :eek: Once I went a few cm's smaller it was much easier to land surface and w2w 180's. Demo is the way to go, if possible.

OhioX14
10-11-2005, 10:15 PM
I used to ride a bigger board, 140, 142, 143cm. I'm 195lbs and on a 136. :eek: Once I went a few cm's smaller it was much easier to land surface and w2w 180's. Demo is the way to go, if possible.

Slightly smaller makes tons of sense but my only concern is fatigue from plowing too much. Should a 175-180 lb individual who gets winded easier that he used to be OK with a 138? :confused:

Davo
10-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Get the 142. The Era is a great HL board also...CWB has some great boards to learn and progress on also and I think they're made in the USA. :)

Davo
10-11-2005, 10:32 PM
BTW, nice ride. :cool:

Cloaked
10-11-2005, 10:39 PM
.......(I have known Chris at Mid Ohio for 20 years).
You know everybody. I swear you do... I was impressed at all of the peeps you have contact with... :dance:

mitch
10-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Slightly smaller makes tons of sense but my only concern is fatigue from plowing too much. Should a 175-180 lb individual who gets winded easier that he used to be OK with a 138? :confused:

Tough to say, it preference for sure. Ride as many boards as you can. sizing charts would prolly say 140, so maybe that's a safe bet for you. At 195lbs on a 136 I don;t feel the drag, I was on a 141 Belmont and borrowed my buddy's 136 Belmont for the day (same year, same style DNA) and never turned back. I was landing tricks w/ much more consistancy. Sold my board asap, and have been happy ever since :dance:

X2M
10-11-2005, 11:17 PM
I learned on a Hyperlite Element 142 which was way to big for me, but very stable. I ride a HO Rift 136 now. The smaller board is so much easier for me to move and not nearly as exhausting to ride.

I have used in the past www.wakeworld.com (select the boards tab). They have a section called the WakeWorld Board Wizard that is a great source of information on tons of boards from the most basic to the advanced. There is also a section for bindings on there too. Hope this helps.
:)

Davo
10-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Good call on the link X2momma.

Think about how much Dallas weighs and she rides a 137. A lot of it is preference though as Mitch has explained, but if you're beginner to intermediate you'll be better off on a board >140 in my opinion.

LaneTrain
10-26-2005, 10:49 PM
I ride a Wes Brisco Gatorboard 05 model (139cm - continuous rocker) with Liquid Force Transit bindings. The board is great for all around riding and has a swath tail, which is good for tracking along with concave edges with a smooth middle. The board sets up real nice for switch, 180's and anything else you are up for!!! The Liquid Force Transit bindings are the way to go........unbelievable comfort and performance.

www.gatorboards.com

Hope that helps!
LaneTrain.............. :woohoo:

SteveO
10-26-2005, 11:01 PM
I am 5-9 and 175 and I ride a 138 04 Parks with LF bindings and enjoy it. My ski buddy has the HL State 136 that he upgraded to this Spring. He is about my height and weight. I rode it a few times and it is a great all around intermediate-advanced board at a great price. I think the spring boat show price was approximately $400 with bindings. Check it out.

SKI*MC
10-26-2005, 11:03 PM
from what i hear the state board is awesome, i have also heard good things about the Era and Premier