PDA

View Full Version : Running four batteries, best way to wire them up?

Nickracer9
07-19-2013, 02:53 AM
Currently have 2 northstar group 31 Agm batteries set up with the standard guest 1,2,1+2 battery selector isolator(whatever you call it) with a 2 bank charger wired up to each one of them. Looking to add two more to my boat and want to know what's the best way to wire these guys in. I was thinking about two banks with both batteries added in parallel but not sure, can anyone lead me in the right direction? Looking to power 4 JL MHD amps. Thanks,Nick.

timvan
07-19-2013, 07:30 AM
One battery for starter, 3 for the stereo. Wire the 3 parallel.

XStar08
07-19-2013, 04:32 PM
You could ad a few more and use them as ballast as well!

Nickracer9
07-19-2013, 05:02 PM
I know 80lbs a piece!

Nickracer9
07-19-2013, 05:08 PM
I thought about running the one for a starter and the 3 for stereo but that leaves 10amps of charging going to the starter battery and the other 3 having to share 10amps on the second bank. Would that even charge them overnight full after a good 50-60% drain on them? Thanks guys.

PremierPOWER
08-07-2013, 11:28 PM
It's best to charge a battery isolated otherwise when the first battery in a paralleled set is 100% the charger will go into float mode even if the other is less than 100% (assuming its an automatic smart charger). It would behest to do one battery for starter and 3 for stereo with an isolation switch between parallels. Have two two bank chargers and the switches That way you can break the parallel with the switches in the off position and each battery will have its own bank for charging. This is even more critical if using different brand and age batteries for the paralleled 3 but it would be best to have those 3 all the same battery and same age. Of course your next problem will be ruining a stock alternator

skitilldark
08-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I thought about running the one for a starter and the 3 for stereo but that leaves 10amps of charging going to the starter battery and the other 3 having to share 10amps on the second bank. Would that even charge them overnight full after a good 50-60% drain on them? Thanks guys.

Not sure how much power your amps will be drawing but I had to eventually upgrade my alternator. I was adding batteries, but the charging just wouldn't keep up in my case.