PDA

View Full Version : Picking up my new (to me) xstar this weekend, few questions

ac505
07-18-2013, 03:44 AM
Picking up a 2000 xstar this weekend. 300 hrs, tbi engine, generally good condition.

My basic checklist so far is as follows
Check oils on engine, gearbox, v drive
Plug condition
Compression test already done 156psi max , 142psi lowest, so okay.
Check steering under load, make sure it is not stiff
Leaks from drivetrain
All electrics check out ok

Anything specific to this boat I should check also?

Can somebody pls advise the correct fluids for engine, gearbox and vdrive, also which spark plugs and gap. What is the correct oil filter and is there a fuel filter on this boat?

The rev counter doesn't work and one speedo is a little sluggish. I plan to add perfect pass so not too concerned about the speedo. Also the gauges are pretty ugly, all white,many suggestions on suitable replacements for all of them to give it a bit of a makeover.

Sorry for all the questions, I am more used to nautique gt40 engines so know very little about the Chevy tbi.

Many thanks

bigmac
07-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Do you have a Hurth V-drive transmission or a Walters V-drive unit?

ac505
07-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Not too sure, will check when I see rhe boat.

mikeg205
07-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Friends in the UK - sounds like another reason to go to the Island... and of course to see Kate's baby... :)

JRW160
07-18-2013, 01:49 PM
You can run 15w40 motor oil in both the engine and transmission. The transmission should be a zf hurth and is a vdrive/transmission combo. It may have transmission fluid in it, but 15w40 is recommended to keep the noise down in it. Spark plugs are ac delco MR43LTS with 0.045" gap, oil filter is penzoi pz3.

Here's a link to the manual
http://www.mastercraft.com/assets/manual/47.pdf

ac505
07-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks. The boat checked out fine, with one exception. The tranny fluid was pink so water has got in. I've taken a punt and purchased the boat, using the tranny fluid colour as a good way to knock the price down. Hopefully its just a cracked oil cooler as opposed to seal away on the transmission. Will drop the cooler out in the next day or so and get it checked. I've got loads of tidying to do, the boat, although in good condition is a bit of a mess from a cosmetic standpoint, needs lots of cleaning, but generally that is it.

Cloaked
07-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks. The boat checked out fine, with one exception. The tranny fluid was pink so water has got in. I've taken a punt and purchased the boat, using the tranny fluid colour as a good way to knock the price down. Hopefully its just a cracked oil cooler as opposed to seal away on the transmission. Will drop the cooler out in the next day or so and get it checked. I've got loads of tidying to do, the boat, although in good condition is a bit of a mess from a cosmetic standpoint, needs lots of cleaning, but generally that is it.Congrats on the new machine. Enjoy!

snork
07-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Thanks. The boat checked out fine, with one exception. The tranny fluid was pink so water has got in. I've taken a punt and purchased the boat, using the tranny fluid colour as a good way to knock the price down. Hopefully its just a cracked oil cooler as opposed to seal away on the transmission. Will drop the cooler out in the next day or so and get it checked. I've got loads of tidying to do, the boat, although in good condition is a bit of a mess from a cosmetic standpoint, needs lots of cleaning, but generally that is it.

Just because the fluid is pink doesn't indicate its contaminated with water
is the fluid milky or transparent. Dextron is pinkish in color but transparent

ac505
07-21-2013, 02:36 AM
The fluid is definitely milky, pumped it out last night, had some dexron 2 lying around so will use this for an hour or so's running then change again. Most likely suspect is the cooler (I hope) so getting this pressure tested Monday .

atlfootr
07-21-2013, 11:20 AM

ac505
07-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Damn, oil cooler checked out okay, no leaks. Next plan will be to get the bilge spotlessly clean and check the transmission output shaft. Fingers crossed it is just neglect and lack of oil changes over the years, if not looks like I'll be pulling the transmission out to replace the seal.

If the leak is minimal and If I keep a close eye on the amount of water in the bilge, can I run the boat for the remainder of the season so long as I keep replacing the oil with fresh to flush out the contaminated fluid?