PDA

View Full Version : fuel problem 97 prostar

cdeconcini
07-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Boat will not go over 25 mph - need to pull back throttle and then it maintains power and I can get a little more speed - changed fuel filter and looked for problems in the fuel tank. Not sure what to do next - dealer is 3 weeks out and need my boat for the summer

Table Rocker
07-18-2013, 01:06 AM
Check your fuel pressure. You might be dealing with a failing fuel pump.

flya750
07-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Search the forum for fuel pump issues. The pump has a small inlet filter that gets clogged over time. That little inlet will reduce fuel flow and only give ~25mph..

You can remove the main fuel line and check out the inlet... the smallest of debris can cause problems. It may just be a quick fix?

You also may want to change out the fuel filter too... especially if you had some old gas...

Not sure if your '97 has ever had a filter installed inline with the tank and the pump. .But I think your 205 came without one. My '97 PS190 didn't come with an inline filter... I had to install one.

Boat will not go over 25 mph - need to pull back throttle and then it maintains power and I can get a little more speed - changed fuel filter and looked for problems in the fuel tank. Not sure what to do next - dealer is 3 weeks out and need my boat for the summer

Jamescray100
07-18-2013, 10:23 PM
I had a similar issue last year. Ended up being fuel pump. And unfortunately, NAPA no longer sells the less expensive replacement. Mastercraft will fix you up for $350.
Also, I see that you say fuel filter like you only replaced one. There are 2, one at the tank exit and one at the motor just before carb injection. Good luck!

mikeg205
07-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Rockauto still has them...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=26&partnum=P60987&a=FR26-P60987-88113

$85 - ok for both LT1 and 5.7 TBI

supturb89
07-19-2013, 12:15 AM
May have to just buy one to have it...thanks for the link Mike.;)

mikeg205
07-19-2013, 02:55 AM
May have to just buy one to have it...thanks for the link Mike.;)

zakly what i did... test it if you do...30 day warranty only

André
07-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Search the forum for fuel pump issues. The pump has a small inlet filter that gets clogged over time ...

This before anything else!
There is a screen at the pump inlet under the brass fitting.Remove fitting and clean debris.
Good luck!

Stritt
07-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the link. Ordered a spare....matter of when not if since mine is original. Great price!

JimN
07-19-2013, 09:41 AM

When it wouldn't accelerate further, was is still running smoothly, or was it rough? If it was rough, check the oil cooler and impeller- 2000 PRM is the magic number if it's overheating and if this happens, the ECM goess into RPM reduction as an attempt to save the engine from major damage. If you overheat your engine, shut it off, fix the problem and let it cool down before running it.

flya750
07-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Yes this first.. you can't diagnose it as a bad pump without checking the inlet first..

Does the pump have a high pitch wine to it? If so.. then there is debris in the inlet...

Although changing the pump, if original, is always a good idea IMHO...

This before anything else!
There is a screen at the pump inlet under the brass fitting.Remove fitting and clean debris.
Good luck!