PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Mufflers Replacement/Repair

Kennyjh
07-17-2013, 08:47 PM
97887Hello, I have a 1983 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes. I have recently discovered that the boat was taking on water. I don't believe it's the drive shaft log rather I believe it's a small crack (hairline crack) in the muffler just below the manifold hose. Seems to be a drip a second type leak. I believe they are unavailable from MasterCraft. I am looking for input and feedback on where to get for aftermarket and pros and cons buying new vs. repairing.

Please advise.

Thank You,
Kenny

Sodar
07-17-2013, 08:55 PM
It is a pretty easy repair that could save you a few hundred $$$ by not having to replace. Just remove the muffler, grind the area that is leaking and repair with a fiberglass repair kit. If you want to make it look original, you can spray some back high heat paint on it or even gelcoat it black. A fiberglass repair kit can be had from Home Depot or West Marine.

Now for the important stuff... where were those pictures taken?

Kennyjh
07-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Thank you for your input....as I understand the fiberglass (resin/glass) must be a high heat type product and fire retardant. Is that true. The stuff I was looking at is good to about 250 degrees and only a fire hazard to an open flame....which would be the least of my worries if I was under fire/flames....

Pictures are Lake Tahoe California (Emerald Bay)

Sodar
07-17-2013, 09:29 PM
High heat is not necessary. With watercooled exhaust I doubt very much that the outside of the muffler gets close to that temp.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=617361&postcount=3

Kennyjh
07-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Awesome....thank you. I will be giving it a go this weekend. Now, what about leaving it on the water (buoy) and using the boat until then? If for whatever reason, the crack got bigger or broke through would my boat sink if on the buoy or underway? May be a dumb question but I'm just not sure...

Table Rocker
07-17-2013, 10:19 PM
I repaired a leak in one of mine this spring. It was an easy fix and doesn't have to be high heat. The rubber hose would melt before the fiberglass would.

The leak getting worse and potentially sinking your boat is a legitimate concern. It is below the waterline and failure could be catastrophic. That's a good question and a legitimate concern, not a dumb one.

Beautiful boat and absolutely stunning photos.

Kennyjh
07-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Thanks Table Rocker!
I will take it out first thing in the morning and repair this weekend.

Jeff_in_NY
07-17-2013, 11:42 PM
If you can't repair or get replacements, you could always ditch the mufflers and go with a straight pipe stainless or copper exhaust. Unfortunately you'll have to buy new 3inch wire-reinforced hose pipe to make that bend.
I have copper pipes in my Ski Nautique and they sound great.

etduc
07-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Easy fix.

Bead of JB weld or similar (for the anal retentive), then standard fiberglass repair kit, from any auto parts store. Black spray paint. Do both sides, while you're at it. You can buy replacement mufflers, various sources.