PDA

View Full Version : Guy's thumb ripped off while feeding the rope

Jeff_in_NY
07-17-2013, 12:33 PM
This was posted on Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/***/comments/1iggfq/my_friend_got_his_thumb_ripped_off_wakeboarding/) today.

According to the poster:
Yeah he was feeding the rope to my buddy who was on the wakeboard, he was using a way too long rope in the first place then my friend on the wakeboard fell and hung on to the rope thus pulling the slack left in the rope and it looped around his thump then popped off his thumb... And yes feeding the rope, making sure it doesnt get tangled/knotted up .

And he also said:
Dude its legit, just happened a couple days ago and and its clean in this pic because the docs grinded it down a bit so they can flap over the skin so theres not a huge *** scab at the knub of his thumb lol

There are pics... they are certainly NSFW and gory. Click on them at your own risk.
Pic 1 (http://i.imgur.com/fBxCfeA.jpg) Pic 2 (http://i.imgur.com/2yMRfKc.jpg)

It obviously sounds like they were doing one of the big "don'ts" - that is, handling the rope while the boat was in motion.

Ouch!

nickespi
07-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Nice!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-17-2013, 01:26 PM
It's not like it was his only thumb.:rolleyes:

Jeff_in_NY
07-17-2013, 01:41 PM
The only way I can think of this happening was that he was feeding out the ropoe while in gear and the rider was getting in position to start. Boarder falls over, snapping the rope tight, at the same time that the rope runs out of slack whilst wrapped around the guy's thumb. Quick and clean.

captain planet
07-17-2013, 01:42 PM
This happened to a friend of of one of my friends years ago. He told me the story of how it happened and I have always passed it along to passengers in my boat when we are skiing, "NEVER EVER touch the rope when it is outside of the boat."

My kids listen but I think they question whether or not it could happen. Well, here is proof to drive the point home.

I hope this guy gets the use of his thumb back.

Jeff_in_NY
07-17-2013, 01:57 PM
I hope this guy gets the use of his thumb back.

What thumb? Not unless they sew his big toe to it.

Tri4X2
07-17-2013, 02:36 PM
100% disability if that is the Dominate thumb!!

Footer Girl
07-17-2013, 03:02 PM
My husband had the same thing happen a few years ago but in a drill press. They sewed it back on and he still has use of it.....it's just a bit shorter now and he has to use his pointer fingers on his iphone since his thumb doesn't really have a tip anymore! His nail even grew back which was a very odd thing to watch. This is a good lesson though.

captain planet
07-17-2013, 03:05 PM

Oh....so the rest of it is gone? That is unfortunate. :( I feel bad for that guy.

Jeff_in_NY
07-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Some more info from the poster below. Sounds like maybe it was wakesurfing and the guy was taking the handle in?
Lake bryan in bryan, texas
Sadly no! We looked for about 5 then we had to rush to the hospital! Guessing some catfish ate it lol
He was feeding the rope to his friend who was riding and he fell and hung on to the rope thus tightening the rop and the rope looped around his thumb and popped it right off!

Here's (http://i.imgur.com/6pdlPpW.jpg) a post surgery pic.

beef
07-17-2013, 04:47 PM
This also happened to a friend while wakesurfing. Was pulling himself up the rope to find the sweet spot, fell and looped the rope around his thumb. Didn't find that one, either.

Covi
07-17-2013, 08:33 PM
lmao

i was thinking the same

petermegan
07-18-2013, 04:36 AM
Ah, They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Not the words he used I bet!

medicmoose
07-18-2013, 07:23 AM
What sets us apart in the evolutionary chain as well as the food chain is having opposable thumbs. This dumb move just set him back on the "chain".

02ProstarSammyD
07-18-2013, 08:05 AM
I almost cut one of my fingers off last month in a garage door. One of the dumbest things I've ever done. Mistakes happen. On the plus side is chicks dig scars they have got to love da nubs

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1001631_10101158454654603_231916178_n.jpg

zsqure
07-18-2013, 08:18 AM
My grandfathers' thumb is a nub like that. Got it chopped off in a press. He went to the hosp. they sewed it up and he was back to finish his shift the same day. The thumb, while missing the end joint works just fine. He can thread nuts with it, has feeling in it just like it was normal.

02ProstarSammyD
07-18-2013, 08:29 AM
thats pretty lucky (while unlucky). I have nerve damage in the finger and can't feel a thing. I was trying to fish a dropped wrench out from the bilge yesterday and didn't have a clue I was touching it lol.

TxsRiverRat
07-18-2013, 09:58 AM
they have got to love da nubs

That's what she said :D

lukedeuce
07-18-2013, 12:05 PM
We were on a jobsite building a walk in cooler, one of the pieces was stuck and wouldn't go in. As I placing my hand under the floor panel to move something, my co-worker decided he would try to kick it in place. It ended fitting in place, along with my pinkey finger. He had to pull the panel out with hammer and out came my mangled finger. Luckily it's still there, but I have a constant tingle and a mallet deformity.

petermegan
07-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Chopped the end of my thumb off in a workplace accident a few years ago. Mainly the 'pad' of the thumb and end of the bone, half crushed, half cut off! After a day I had to go back in to hospital on morphine, man it was painful. There are so many nerve endings in your fingers. At least the guy who took it off with the rope won't have that problem!

CruisinGA
07-18-2013, 02:47 PM
I was rock crawling with some buddies in Tellico (TN/NC) when my buddy's FJ40 rolled on Slickrock (trail name).
He grabbed the rollcage, rollcage met rock and pinched off the end of his index finger.

We put the tip of his finger in a dog bowl with ice and rushed him out. We were so far back in the mountains it took 2 hrs to get to a paved rd and 3 to get to a clinic.

Table Rocker
07-18-2013, 02:48 PM
I almost cut one of my fingers off last month in a garage door. One of the dumbest things I've ever done. Mistakes happen. On the plus side is chicks dig scars they have got to love da nubs

Okay, I am going to need a tally.
1) Hand through belt/pulley
2) Foot cut by shredded belt strand slap
3) Garage door, finger incident.

Am I missing anything?

JMLVMI
07-18-2013, 04:22 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1001631_10101158454654603_231916178_n.jpg

Ouch, my dad broke his hand trying to set a garage door spring. A foot the other way it could have killed him with blunt force to the head. Garage doors are something I will never mess with...