PDA

View Full Version : Running hot Not sure how to check

rospaw
07-16-2013, 11:21 PM
1990 pro 190 with 350. Took it out today and didn't get pasted the "no wake" area! :mad: No leaks anywhere and no water out exhaust. Got it back home and started pulling hoses and running water in them..... why you ask??? Didn't have anything eles to do :rolleyes: Well i know the hose from the water pick up under the boat to thermostat housing is clear, pulled Thermostat housing plate and ran water in it and it's working, tried to see if the water pump (like auto type) was pumping by removing the hose from thermostat housing and filling with water then starting the engine..... that didn't help me any. How do i go about checking the system? I think there is another pump at the lower left side of the engine but not sure what it is called or how to check it. Thanks All R

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-17-2013, 12:03 AM
Definitely need to check the raw water impeller, located on the crankshaft pulley.

bigmac
07-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Raw water impeller is the second thing to check, right after making sure there aren't weeds blocking the transmission cooler. The rest of the things you checked are definitely low-yield as an overheat source in an inboard tow boat.

rospaw
07-17-2013, 06:22 AM
Ok guys so i'm going to check the Raw water pump impeller. I guess i need to pull it off and to check it Right? Just to be sure that im going after the right one ..... that is the smaller roundish pump located on the lower left of the motor pulled by the crank and it's not the automotive style wayer pump with the 2.5" single hose on it. Thanks again guys for the help! Oh if it is that pump do i rebuild or replace?

jgraham37128
07-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Here's what you're looking for. Should replace this every year or so at the least. Very common for these to wear out.

This is a picture for reference only I didn't type in your specific model.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

jgraham37128
07-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Here's a better link for you too.

http://aquaskier.com/articles/impeller_replacement.htm

rospaw
07-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the help! Have always changed them on my outboards but did not know my inboard had one. Common part number? Or?

etduc
07-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Here's a quick link: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

Ebasicpower also. Most shops that service inboards, should have them. (I believe it is a Johnson raw water pump.) Buy two, install one, put the other in your lake quick repair box.
You can always sell, your spare at the lake. You'd be surprise, what they'll bring $$ on a Saturday afternoon, at the boat ramp.

bigmac
07-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Those impellers are $40. If you're going to go to the trouble of checking it, just replace it. I disagree with the need to replace that impeller every year, but it is true that MasterCraft recommends it as annual maintenance, and if it's easy to change (NOT easy in some boats but should be very easy in your ProStar), then there's certainly no downside to changing it every year. Many people keep one in their boat tool kit as an emergency replacement item.

http://SSEquine.net/rwpumpprostar.jpg

etduc
07-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Note: Unless you have raw water shut-off valve, before the pump. You don't want to change these out, with the boat sitting in the water. ;)

ricford
07-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Note: Unless you have raw water shut-off valve, before the pump. You don't want to change these out, with the boat sitting in the water. ;)

Why not? I've done it many times. A bit of water from the engine runs out, but nothing up from the lake.

etduc
07-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Physics wise, depends how much hose, above or below the waterline. Personally, I don't like to work on anything, that directly leads to hole in the bottom of the boat..when in the middle of a lake.

mikeg205
07-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Go for it... bu make sure you have video for liveleek... ;) - I wouldn't do it on the on lake either.

rospaw
07-17-2013, 11:30 PM
If it would stop pouring down rain i would go out and pull it off and take a picture/ get a model/maker. Mine is not on the crankshaft but is on a bracket with a belt to the crank. It's input and output go straight back like the one pictured. (picture is off google) If i had to guess its about foot long and roundish with a circumference of around 4" across. Any thoughts of a brand or if it is factory? Thanks for all the help. Hope one day i can return the favor! R

picture didn't work :o i think it's like a MER46-807151A12 if that helps

Table Rocker
07-17-2013, 11:56 PM
If it would stop pouring down rain i would go out and pull it off and take a picture/ get a model/maker. Mine is not on the crankshaft but is on a bracket with a belt to the crank. It's input and output go straight back like the one pictured. (picture is off google) If i had to guess its about foot long and roundish with a circumference of around 4" across. Any thoughts of a brand or if it is factory? Thanks for all the help. Hope one day i can return the favor! R

picture didn't work :o i think it's like a MER46-807151A12 if that helpsIs your engine an Indmar?

etduc
07-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Do any of these look familar?
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1094

rospaw
07-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Looks just like this one other than it's a v-belt.
http://www.ebasicpower.com/pc/MER46-807151A9/MER8C

Is it an easy impellor change out? R

Table Rocker
07-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Looks just like this one other than it's a v-belt.
http://www.ebasicpower.com/pc/MER46-807151A9/MER8C

Is it an easy impellor change out? RI'm assuming you have a Mercruiser engine. Is that correct?

JRW160
07-18-2013, 01:01 PM

As long as the impeller housing is above the waterline you should be fine changing it in the water. I've changed impellers on a couple of different boats in the water and never had a problem.

bigmac
07-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Wierd. How would a Mercruiser engine end up in a 1990 Prostar?

bigmac
07-18-2013, 01:23 PM
As long as the impeller housing is above the waterline you should be fine changing it in the water. I've changed impellers on a couple of different boats in the water and never had a problem.

I've changed an entire raw water pump with the boat in the water and no seacock.

rospaw
07-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Impellor was trashed! Now where did all the extra rubber from the fins go? I have about a third of the fin pieces. the hosing is like the one i linked. housing part number is 46-807151 now i need to find the impellor.

etduc
07-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Impellor was trashed! Now where did all the extra rubber from the fins go? I have about a third of the fin pieces. the hosing is like the one i linked. housing part number is 46-807151 now i need to find the impellor.

Take every hose, after raw water pump, off and inspect. On my boat, the majority of debris was found at the water hose fitting, at the exhaust manifolds. Some will be in the exhaust manifolds, it burn off or eventually flow out the pipes. Google the part number.

billr
07-18-2013, 05:22 PM
You might want to check your thermostat for debris as well. Had that happen and thermostat was wedged in the open position!