PDA

View Full Version : waterskiing with wildlife- a new experience for me

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-11-2005, 11:19 AM
OK, so as the ski season in the UP is getting to the end, I am grabbing every "decent" weather opportunity I can to hit the lake for a ski. Well, last evening, I had a willing driver, a calm lake, and temps in the 50s, water and air. so I hit it. beautiful night on the lake here. So I am up carving the glass. we are the ONLY boat on the bay. so I am having a blast and my driver notices something up ahead. I dont have my eye glasses on while skiing so its not real clear to me. so my driver is obviously staring at this thing in the water, he stands up and is just studying it. well, I thought it was a gill net marker(which is common to see out there), but I was wrong. so as we get closer he turns around and hollars, "its a deer swimming across the lake"....sure enough, a big doe was swimming way the hell out in the bay. I was about ready to turn around, so I gave the signal to go back for a better look. He turned around and went back by the deer, it was just having a swim. we didnt get to close to it. it would have been a blast to swerve wide around it for fun, but I didnt want to risk hitting it with the ski. Yes, my ethical side wins every time. The only thing I can think why it was swimming was a wolf chased it into the lake and it was escaping. I dont think deer swim for recreation since you dont see it too often. My parents and I see them swim across their bay, which is much more narrow. but out on the large bay, I have never seen one. It was worth it just to see that!!!. What a neat expereince. now, of all the times to NOT have a camara. It wouild have been cool to have one of those water proof cameras to snap a pic of it from a skiers point of view.

I just had to share that as it was sooo cool. :)
UMP

Now this is JUST for fun and conversations sake, I dont deer hunt anymore, but how sporting would that be to have a rifle on your back with a sling while skiing. IF you see a deer IN deer season only,(no cheating) when its cold in november, IF you could get the rifle off your back while on the ski and aim and shoot one handed and hit the deer thats pretty sporting. Keep in mind, your NOT in a motor vehicle, so its not really illegal. :uglyhamme In my mind, its a more sporting than shooting a deer over a bait pile. think about how difficult it would be. :rolleyes:

shepherd
10-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Give the deer a gun and teach it to shoot back. Now THAT would be "sporting" :rolleyes:

UMP, that must have been cool. You just missed the opportunity to use a deer as a slalom buoy! We've seen a couple deer swimming across the river where we used to ski in MD (but it wasn't a big bay), it was in a nature preserve. Not a normal thing to see, but apparently they know how to swim.

LakePirate
10-11-2005, 11:35 AM
There was one swimming across our cove last fall, my parents followed behind it to make sure that it would make it across. Needless to say it did without issue.

sizzler
10-11-2005, 11:37 AM
i'm sure they've been swimming longer than we have had boats?????

never underestimate the resiliance and survival instintcs of the wild....

milkmania
10-11-2005, 11:38 AM
i'm sure they've been swimming longer than we have had boats?????

never underestimate the resiliance and survival instintcs of the wild....

and never ever try to grab their legs!:eek3:

10-11-2005, 11:44 AM
and never ever try to grab their legs!:eek3:
:uglyhamme

bad expereince there Milk??? :popcorn:

and yes, it was a cool expereince to see that deer. I would have loved to use it like a bouy, but I am one of those type of people that dont believe in bothering animals. The idea is cool, but in reality its not such a good idea. alot of things could go wrong there, I could get hurt, the deer could get hurt. You never know what an animal is going to do, they are unpredictable. I didnt want to harrass it, I was just glad to have the expereince of seeing it there. :)

Kevin 89MC
10-11-2005, 12:11 PM
I've seen a few deer swimming at my grandparent's lake back in the day. Haven't seen one do it for 20 years or so. They're all over the gardens up there, though! I also saw a bear (I think) swimming in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (near Canada) when we were camping. Impressive . . .
Very cool that you were in the water with it! The pic would have been priceless.
Kevin

ski_king
10-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Cool to see!

Somewhere I have a picture taken from my boat of a bear swimming across the river.

sizzler
10-11-2005, 12:17 PM
we had a couple of ducks on our lake at the weekend....might have been a couple of geese as well.......we stayed well clear of them...never know when they might turn nasty :cool:

milkmania
10-11-2005, 12:19 PM
different subject....but don't mess with the animals!:D

http://www.writeonrice.com/cat.gif

10-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Kevin, yes, the pic would have been great, the only problem is the sun sets so early here now that we could have never got back to my truck to get a camera in time to get a good pic. Besides, it was dumb luck we stumbled across the deer in the first place, trying to find it after going to get a camera would have been difficult in that big body of water. precious daylight.....

Sizzler, DUCKS RULE!!! I love those quackin little buggers! they are so goofy. we have a bunch that live in our town and everyday they stop traffic to "commute" to the lake!!!! :purplaugh and if someone tries to hurry them up and rush them the ducks get mad :rant: its so funny!! the ducks will tyr to chase the cars away and quack at them. Nobody hurts the ducks, they have the rule of the town when they cross the street. its a hoot to see.

X-45
10-11-2005, 12:53 PM
I've got to ask. Are you skiing in the dark.

:confused:

10-11-2005, 03:06 PM
I wasnt dark when I saw the deer.

I got off the lake when it was really getting dark last nite. I wanted to ski one more time, but it was getting dark and I didnt have any light sticks in the boat. I have skied at nite before this season. If I do that I wear a cyalume light stick attached to my vest zipper. that way if I fall, they can come back and find me without fear of running me over. and keep in mind, we are the only boats on the lake when we night ski. This is probably a pretty foreign thought for most of you, but I ski on the largest fresh water lake on the globe and the bays we ski in hardly have any activity. We are usually the only boat out there. There might be a 14ft aluminum fishing boat here or there, but not too often. If you can hack the temps, in a way its a skiers paradise. No other boats, swimmers, jetskis, to contend with. :)

Kevin 89MC
10-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Ahh, night skiing. Not exactly legal, but I've done it a few times. Pretty cool rush, but it is dangerous. I've done it under a full moon, you can actually see quite well once your eyes adjust. A cousin of mine once skied naked at night on a dare - good thing he didn't fall! :eek: He did get busted by a neighbor. Needless to say his parents weren't real happy when they heard about it!
Kevin

mitch
10-11-2005, 04:21 PM
OK, so as the ski season in the UP is getting to the end, I am grabbing every "decent" weather opportunity I can to hit the lake for a ski. Well, last evening, I had a willing driver, a calm lake, and temps in the 50s, water and air. so I hit it. beautiful night on the lake here. So I am up carving the glass. we are the ONLY boat on the bay. so I am having a blast and my driver notices something up ahead. I dont have my eye glasses on while skiing so its not real clear to me. so my driver is obviously staring at this thing in the water, he stands up and is just studying it. well, I thought it was a gill net marker(which is common to see out there), but I was wrong. so as we get closer he turns around and hollars, "its a deer swimming across the lake"....sure enough, a big doe was swimming way the hell out in the bay. I was about ready to turn around, so I gave the signal to go back for a better look. He turned around and went back by the deer, it was just having a swim. we didnt get to close to it. it would have been a blast to swerve wide around it for fun, but I didnt want to risk hitting it with the ski. Yes, my ethical side wins every time. The only thing I can think why it was swimming was a wolf chased it into the lake and it was escaping. I dont think deer swim for recreation since you dont see it too often. My parents and I see them swim across their bay, which is much more narrow. but out on the large bay, I have never seen one. It was worth it just to see that!!!. What a neat expereince. now, of all the times to NOT have a camara. It wouild have been cool to have one of those water proof cameras to snap a pic of it from a skiers point of view.

I just had to share that as it was sooo cool. :)
UMP

Now this is JUST for fun and conversations sake, I dont deer hunt anymore, but how sporting would that be to have a rifle on your back with a sling while skiing. IF you see a deer IN deer season only,(no cheating) when its cold in november, IF you could get the rifle off your back while on the ski and aim and shoot one handed and hit the deer thats pretty sporting. Keep in mind, your NOT in a motor vehicle, so its not really illegal. :uglyhamme In my mind, its a more sporting than shooting a deer over a bait pile. think about how difficult it would be. :rolleyes:

These would have helped your vision :D I've had mine for years, they look dorky but work great

http://www.spexusa.com/SPEXRx.asp

10-11-2005, 05:30 PM
THanks mitch!!!!! hey that looks like the ticket for me. I was gonna try some of those water goggles that you can buy at overtons, but man, the prescription concept sounds awesome!!! I think that would be an excellent thing to put on my christmas list!! :dance:

Kev, yes night skiing is a rush. and a tad bit dangerous, but we are always careful and safety comes first. no goofing around at night. I did it about 3 weeks ago on the last full moon and it rocked!!!! My parents were towing me and they wished they had a camera to get a picture of me cutting a corner with the moon in the background. I dont know how well the pic would have turned out though. They got some nice pics like that in the HO catalog for 2005. cool nite photos. :) I wish I was that cool!!!

UMP

captkidd
10-11-2005, 06:01 PM
We've seen deer swimming across the lake to get to one of the large islands. I've also had ducks get on my swim platform before. I had to shoo them off so they wouldn't try to get in the boat (messy).

RickDV
10-11-2005, 10:08 PM
These would have helped your vision :D I've had mine for years, they look dorky but work great

http://www.spexusa.com/SPEXRx.asp

SeaSpecs has the same kinda thing, only they are more stylish http://www.seaspecs.com/

Leroy
10-11-2005, 10:12 PM
I came upon a deer crossing Center Hill several years ago, they can swim amazingly fast.

10-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Yes its quite surprizing how fast they can swim. its funny, they dont have much surface area on their feet to push water with like a dog does..... see how mother nature works!!!! animals are simply amazing :worthy: we as humans may be at the top of the foodchain, but its only our brains that keep us here :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
10-11-2005, 10:28 PM
we as humans may be at the top of the foodchain, but its only our brains that keep us here :rolleyes:

And sometimes I wonder how that manages to keep us there :rolleyes:

10-11-2005, 10:32 PM
as you say JR, TRUE DAT!!!!

Yes, I wonder too...... :o

mitch
10-11-2005, 11:02 PM
SeaSpecs has the same kinda thing, only they are more stylish http://www.seaspecs.com/

Rick, You're right, I like em!!!