PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Key

ohiojohn
07-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Need some help. I had trouble getting the key in the ignition this morning. After some mild jiggling I got the key in the ignition. Put then it would not turn. So I cannot start the boat. Just ran it yesterday evening and brought it in to the dock and took out the key.
Any suggestions ? Its a 2009 x14.

Thanks

John

charrison327
07-16-2013, 10:37 AM
not sure exactly what the issue is....but you may want to try using some graphite powder

Double D
07-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Need some help. I had trouble getting the key in the ignition this morning. After some mild jiggling I got the key in the ignition. Put then it would not turn. So I cannot start the boat. Just ran it yesterday evening and brought it in to the dock and took out the key.
Any suggestions ? Its a 2009 x14.

Thanks

John

I just went through a key issue myself. Somehow I lost my main set of keys (WTH?) and really had no planned spare. I did have an old floaty that came with the boat and it had an old key on it. Luckily it worked and I had to spend my Saturday morning at the key shop finding the right blank that matches the Southco CH751 so I have extra sets.

Long story short and how it relates to you, the old key, and now the new keys, are no longer a smooth turn. I have to pull the key out about 1 mm to get it to turn. The key guy tried to fix that but no luck so I will deal with it.

So, if you cant move it in and out enough to turn it maybe there is something in there preventing the key from going all the way in....??

clrussell
07-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Dumb suggestion, but try turning the key over.. I've had that happen to me

ttu
07-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Dumb suggestion, but try turning the key over.. I've had that happen to me

ditto! mine will go in with the flat side up but will not turn over.

Barefooter92
07-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Same here I had forfeited a whole day because I had the key up-side-down!

ohiojohn
07-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the tips, had a great morning on the water at Lake Norris

John

ttu
07-16-2013, 03:47 PM
^^ so what was it?

Double D
07-16-2013, 03:49 PM
^^ so what was it?

Doesn't want to tell us so my guess would be upside down. :D:D

clrussell
07-16-2013, 03:58 PM
?????

thatsmrmastercraft
07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

ohiojohn
07-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Yep, upside down key.
Hopefully I won't for get that one !

John

thatsmrmastercraft
07-16-2013, 04:15 PM
We have all been there in one way or another. There are a lot of possibilities: upside down key, plugless launch, stern straps still on....... One time I got to the boat launch and somehow left the boat keys on the workbench. Thankfully my son had his spare set in his wakeboard bag.

Double D
07-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Yep, upside down key.
Hopefully I won't for get that one !

John

That's ok, at least you still have your keys.... :(

Sent from Never Neverland using Tapatalk 2

BrooksfamX2
07-16-2013, 04:41 PM
.................. One time I got to the boat launch and somehow left the boat keys on the workbench...............

I saw this at the boat ramp a couple years ago. Middle aged couple with new 22-24 foot cuddy. Got the boat ready, positioned to back down the ramp and the husband starts to panic cuz he cant find the keys. They spend 15 minutes looking through the boat, car, pockets, ect. and recalling (read, arguing) who had them last then realizing that they had left them at home, 60 miles away..........:(

thatsmrmastercraft
07-16-2013, 04:55 PM
I saw this at the boat ramp a couple years ago. Middle aged couple with new 22-24 foot cuddy. Got the boat ready, positioned to back down the ramp and the husband starts to panic cuz he cant find the keys. They spend 15 minutes looking through the boat, car, pockets, ect. and recalling (read, arguing) who had them last then realizing that they had left them at home, 60 miles away..........:(

Murphy's law must have been realized with boats in mind. :rolleyes:

JRW160
07-16-2013, 08:43 PM
I never take mine out of the boat, but I have a spare set in the toolbox in the boat just in case.

Barefooter92
07-17-2013, 08:22 AM
all good reasons to install the push button starter!