PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation when Starting

barefoot
07-15-2013, 02:17 PM
I have a hesitation when starting the engine on my 351. When I turn the key, itís slow to respondÖ.almost like a dying battery. It sounds like it wonít turn over, but always does. It has a new battery with good contact points. Changed the plugs last year. Wires havenít been changed in a few years. It has electronic ignition.

Is it a simple as changing the wires and cap? Or something more?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-15-2013, 02:48 PM
My first thought is your battery cables, either corroded internally, loose or a combination. Sometimes when starter motors begin to fail they will do what your describing...

thatsmrmastercraft
07-15-2013, 03:08 PM
This is a problem within the starter circuit: Battery, positive and ground cables, starter, solenoid and associated wiring.

Charge the battery and have it tested. While it is out, clean all ends of both positive and negative battery cables with a wire brush (preferably stainless steel) and coat lightly with dielectric grease before connecting. Don't forget the negative cable connected to the block.

If your battery is OK and you still have a problem, you are looking at high resistance wires or a bad starter. Your choice here to check resistance with an ohmmeter or do a voltage drop test.......or pull the starter and have that tested.

While not a proponent of throwing parts, if you have the available cash, a new Arco gear reduction starter and new battery cables would not be a bad plan. Chances are yours are both either in need of replacement or close to it. I have never said "I wish I had never replaced that starter or battery cables" after having done it.

If you stay the course, eliminate the cables or starter and you have it narrowed down.

barefoot
07-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the advice, Fellas. The wires on the battery are not corroded, but I'll double check for tightness. I always try to make sure they're tight when installing the battery for the season. I'll definitely check the negative on the block and do as you described, Peter.

A quick search on starters seems like a pretty inexpensive fix. I have to buy a few other parts so I'll add it to the list.