PDA

View Full Version : Starter problems

cski10
07-15-2013, 12:50 PM
My uncle owns a 1994 ProStar 190. The entire engine was replaced last year. The new starter that was included in the install had solenoid issues (clicking) and was rebuilt. The rebuild had the same issue after a couple of months. He then replaced the starter with an aftermarket one that was supposed to be a better starter. I apologize but don't know the brand name or why it was supposed to be better. As of yesterday, the starter just spins and does not "catch" to start the motor. It is not the clicking issue from before but just a constant spin. We got it back and threw the battery on a charger thinking it was run down but that was not the issue. I am looking for any ideas on what to check/replace as I really can't believe we could have run into this many starter problems. This happened after a day of skiing so was a hot start situation but the boat did not start this morning either after the battery charge.

Again, I apologize for the lack of details as it is not my boat but thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

André
07-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Same boat and year.
Just had mine rebuilt.The guy told me that my starter is reverse rotation.
Gotta link to what you replace with...:confused:

cski10
07-15-2013, 01:24 PM
I will try and found out what is in there now. The current one did work for a couple of months so I would not guess that it had the wrong one in there. Thanks for the reply and I will post once I find out.

MikeyOrange88
07-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Several on here, including myself, have replaced their starters with Arco Gear Reduction Starters, which spin the engine faster and work great. I paid around $125 recently for mine and they are available from several online sources. Link below is helpful to insure ordering the correct item. Item 70200 (CW) is what fit on my '89, so I would assume it would be the same for a '94, but please verify for your application.

http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/tech%20determine%20marine%20starter%20rotation.pdf

To isolate whether you're have starter or solenoid issues, remove starter and have it bench tested, free at most any auto parts store (Autozone etc.).

I'll also throw on the reminder that the starter is one of the items on a boat that 'has to be marine rated' so you can't just buy any Ford starter for a 351W.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-15-2013, 02:15 PM
When the starter motor turns fast but doesn't engage the flywheel, the cause is normally a bad starter drive (bendix) or a lack of lubrication on the starter drive shaft. I would remove the starter and take it to a parts store and have it tested. You may need to clean the shaft with some penetrating oil, then apply some grease to get things working.

The Arco gear reduction starter is a great unit. You can't go wrong with one, but it sounds like your starter may just need to be cleaned and lubed.