PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Throttle Cables

airwear
07-15-2013, 08:48 AM
How hard/easy is it to replace the throttle cables (2000 Prostar)? Anything to watch out for when doing this, or any tricks/advice?

Replaced my steering cable a few weeks ago and I can now drive with one finger. Looking to do the same with the throttle cables.

wshedd
08-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Trying to do the same thing on a 96 prostar. I have found it to be very difficult. Any advise would be much appreiocated!

Skipper
08-14-2013, 08:07 AM
The really difficult part about replacing throttle and/or shift cables is the connection at the helm. In the past I have disassembled the shift lever assembly to allow it to drop down below the gunnel where I could access the back of the assembly. Still, it has you upside down and sideways trying to squeeze into a space not intended for a human.

Also, protect the other end of the cables as you put them through the bilge by taping them to the old cable and being careful to cover over the ends. Pull the old cable out the bilge at the engine compartment as you pull the new cable into place.

airwear
08-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks Skipper. Will attempt this in the fall, don't want to put my boat out of commission at this time if I struggle with this.

Is there any adjustments that need to be made once the cables are hooked up?

Skipper
08-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Yes, you need to adjust the cables. The adjustments are made at the throttle body and at the transmission. The adjusting nuts allow you to vary the length of exposed cable as needed. Really not bad.

Jeff W
09-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Skipper, I have a 1995 190 and the pin in the throttle cable at the control sheared. I am having trouble figuring our how to disassemble the shift lever assembly and saw you had recently gone through the same problem. How do I get it apart so I can drop it down? I removed the shift lever and tapped on the shaft and it didn't seem to want to move. Don't want to break it and figured I'd ask someone who knew the ropes. Thanks - Jeff Whitworth - Houston, TX