PDA

View Full Version : Engine wont stay running.

Aukanaii26
07-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Hey guys!

So I inheritted my grandfathers 84 prostar 190 made it through the ranks and I inherited it last weekend. We ran it all week, and of course with my luck i tried to take it out this weekend and it wont run. it has done this before but not for this long, i noticed when i had the boat on the ramp last weekend it would start, but as soon as I put the key to run the enginee would die. I waited gave it some gas and boom it ran, not this time though. I have done everything I can imagine and nothing is working.

I did try to instal a radio, but took it isnt connected and I put everything back just as it was before the install.

Like i said the boat fires, then when the key is turned away from the run position it dies, no fuel or starter fluid will save it.

Things I have done:

Spark plugs (needed) Had trouble, because I removed all the cables at the same time. but i learned fireing order and everything lol they are gapped at .035 per the spec.

carbuerator rebuild(sounds better on the start)

checked the fuel pump, it is drawing fuel

rebuilt the ignition switch

drained the water separator

added ISO heet to the gas tank

the distributor cap looked fine, a little wear, but i wiped it off. Also, note: the ignition control is electronic now we took out the needles a while back.

I am stuck....
I assume it is something electrical, because the motor fires great until you put the key into the run position.

Please help me save my boat!

mikeg205
07-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Could also be time for just a new carb... the experts will comment shortly.... stay tuned.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Hey guys!

So I inheritted my grandfathers 84 prostar 190 made it through the ranks and I inherited it last weekend. We ran it all week, and of course with my luck i tried to take it out this weekend and it wont run. it has done this before but not for this long, i noticed when i had the boat on the ramp last weekend it would start, but as soon as I put the key to run the enginee would die. I waited gave it some gas and boom it ran, not this time though. I have done everything I can imagine and nothing is working.

I did try to instal a radio, but took it isnt connected and I put everything back just as it was before the install.

Like i said the boat fires, then when the key is turned away from the run position it dies, no fuel or starter fluid will save it.

Things I have done:

Spark plugs (needed) Had trouble, because I removed all the cables at the same time. but i learned fireing order and everything lol they are gapped at .035 per the spec.

carbuerator rebuild(sounds better on the start)

checked the fuel pump, it is drawing fuel

rebuilt the ignition switch

drained the water separator

added ISO heet to the gas tank

the distributor cap looked fine, a little wear, but i wiped it off. Also, note: the ignition control is electronic now we took out the needles a while back.

I am stuck....
I assume it is something electrical, because the motor fires great until you put the key into the run position.

Please help me save my boat!

Sounds like you mis-wired the ignition switch, I would check this first and rewire.

cruiser
07-14-2013, 10:45 AM
I agree Ignition switch is where i would look.

Aukanaii26
07-14-2013, 11:00 AM
The switch is wired the same. The problem was occurring before I rebuilt the switch. And contours after. Does anyone have a wiring schematic that I can trace the ignition system with? I am almost positive it's something to do with the igt ion circuit but generally those parts either work or they don't. Is the any fuses within the infliction circuit that could be blow preventing spark in the run position?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-14-2013, 02:19 PM
diagram...