PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Xstar not starting

mcrowe
07-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Replaced fuel pump, and have good fuel pressure (58psi +). The boat will start sometimes if you put it in neutral and give it throttle. It never did this before the fuel pump went bad. Could this be vapor lock? We are really stumped on this one....

snork
07-13-2013, 05:23 PM
what about the fuel filter

mikeg205
07-13-2013, 05:39 PM
hmmm - strange...

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/748172804.gif http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/748172804.gif

bigmac
07-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Vapor lock in a fuel injected engine would be highly unusual. Measure your fuel pressure at the rail, or at least give the Schrader valve a tap after cranking to see if there's fuel at the rail.

André
07-13-2013, 06:20 PM
What did you use for hose.Is it tight confused:
If it is leaking (inside the tank) that will cause hard start...

neil.anderson63
07-14-2013, 08:55 PM
New filter? Check lanyard? It will crank but no spark if it's not clipped tight. Sometimes the plastic clip stretches.

Jerseydave
07-14-2013, 11:13 PM
What engine? What fuel pump did you install? I've read there are some different fuel pump part numbers that have different psi. I've also read if you don't install the hose properly you will likely have hard starting issues. (longer cranking time)

I replaced mine 3 years ago with the complete module from the dealer in my '05 X-star MCX. Still going strong.

mcrowe
07-15-2013, 10:47 AM
All,

Thanks for your responses..perhaps I should have given more info. I replaced the pump with an E2044. I can not really see how this would be the fuel filter because it will start just fine - the issue is present after sitting following a good run time. I am seeing 58 psi & the fuel rail and yes there is fuel when the schrader valve is tapped. As stated above, the boat fires up immediately upon the first few starts of the day and runs great. If you let the boat sit after running, it has a hard time starting. I am chalking it up to some sensor heat soaking and not working - just not sure where to go from here?

mcrowe
07-15-2013, 10:48 AM
this is an 06 with the MCX....

JimN
07-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Replaced fuel pump, and have good fuel pressure (58psi +). The boat will start sometimes if you put it in neutral and give it throttle. It never did this before the fuel pump went bad. Could this be vapor lock? We are really stumped on this one....

Vapor lock? Not with the pump in the tank and this is part of the reason they put it there.

If the throttle needs to be open, check the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor or the IAC. If the exhaust smells rich when starting it when hot, I would suspect ECT.

mcrowe
07-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Jim thanks for the response... I figured vapor lock was out but am at a loss. I will check these -- How can I test them? multimeter, also where are these located? Thanks!

JimN
07-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Jim thanks for the response... I figured vapor lock was out but am at a loss. I will check these -- How can I test them? multimeter, also where are these located? Thanks!

Look for the ECT on a head or the intake manifold- it has one yellow wire and one black wire. If you measure the resistance with a multi-meter while cold and it's more than 1000 Ohms, replace it. You would do this after unplugging the harness from the sensor.

The engine has two temperature sensors- one for the gauge and this one. The sensor for the gauge only has one wire.

The IAC is on the throttle body and has four wires- two blue, two green. One of each pair has a white tracer and the other has a black tracer. If you remove the flame arrestor (clean it while you're at it) and turn the key to ON for about 5 seconds, you should hear the IAC for a few seconds after turning the key to OFF.

mcrowe
07-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks Jim, we will look into these. I am familiar with the IAC.... I always have to clean them on old jeeps with the 4.0..tend to get dirty and they will only start if you push the pedal giving more air. Last question... can I get the ECT or IAC at the auto parts store like most GM parts on these or are they specific to the MCX?

JimN
07-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Thanks Jim, we will look into these. I am familiar with the IAC.... I always have to clean them on old jeeps with the 4.0..tend to get dirty and they will only start if you push the pedal giving more air. Last question... can I get the ECT or IAC at the auto parts store like most GM parts on these or are they specific to the MCX?

Standard GM parts.

snork
07-18-2013, 05:10 PM
I've been following this post and looking to know the outcome