PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving!

bcampbe7
10-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to our family North of the border!

LakePirate
10-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Dam you beat me to it. The wife told me that it was Thanksgiving in Canada this morning.

bcampbe7
10-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Dam you beat me to it. The wife told me that it was Thanksgiving in Canada this morning.

Just saw it hear on my work calendar. :D

erkoehler
10-10-2005, 02:54 PM
I thought somebody had lost it :D

Happy Thanksgiving!

André
10-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys!
Was hoping to get some skiing done but 50 air and water temps was discouraging.
Got 10 cords of firewood in the basement instead.
My back is telling me it prefer skiing...

Ric
10-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys!
what is the common family dinner for Canadian thanksgiving andre?

André
10-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Turkey is the bird of choice here too usually.
But it's certainly not as celebrated as in the US as i see it in movies and TV with all the kids flying home from wherever they are in the country,really seems to be one important holiday for the Americans.(As seen from here)
Also it's a 3 day week end instead of 4 for you guys,i think for most of you.
But it will be "Poulet au Porto" for us tonight...One of our last good meal together as Nathalie will be moving out next week end.
Gotto go learn how to make it! LOL

Ric
10-10-2005, 08:40 PM
But it's certainly not as celebrated as in the US as i see it in movies and TV with all the kids flying home from wherever they are in the country,really seems to be one important holiday for the Americans.(As seen from here)
But it will be "Poulet au Porto" for us tonight...One of our last good meal together as Nathalie will be moving out next week end.
gonna be a hangover tomorrow? :eek:

6ballsisall
10-10-2005, 08:48 PM

What did you do to Natalie? Thats your woman right?

MarkP
10-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Just saw it hear on my work calendar. :DI just saw it on Team Talk..

lakes Rick
10-10-2005, 11:01 PM
So what is the Canadian thanksgiving about??

The French beating up the British???

Last time I was in Vancouver it looked like little china to me... Sure it isn't Chowmein on the menu????

Leroy
10-11-2005, 01:32 AM
That's tough Andre, but I'm sure you will come out well. It is a pretty big holiday for American's. Think the movies actually matches in this case pretty well.

ski_king
10-11-2005, 08:59 AM
I was in Canada a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving weekend. It seemed more like a second Labor Day. But then that is maybe because I was in a tourist area.

sizzler
10-11-2005, 09:12 AM
So what is the Canadian thanksgiving about??

The French beating up the British???

if they did it was a first........

Thanksgiving in Canada has generally thought to come from three traditions.

European farmers in Europe held celebrations at harvest time to give thanks for their good fortune of a good harvest and abundance of food. They would often fill a curved goat's horn with fruits and grains. This was known as a cornucopia or horn of good plenty. When Europeans came to Canada it is thought to have become an influence on the Canadian Thanksgiving tradition.

Around 1578 English navigator Martin Frobisher held a ceremony, in what is now called the province of Newfoundland to give thanks for surviving his journey there. Other settlers later arrived and continued these "thankful" ceremonies. This was also thought to be an influence on the Canadian Thanksgiving tradition.

The third influence happened in 1621 in what was to become the United States. Pilgrims celebrated their first harvest in the "New World". Around 1750 this celebration of harvest was brought to Nova Scotia by American settlers from the south. At the same time, French settlers arriving were also holding feasts of "thanksgiving". These celebrations and offerings of "Thanks" influenced the Canadian Thanksgiving.

In 1879 Canadian Parliament declared November 6th a day of Thanksgiving and a national holiday. Over the years the date of Thanksgiving changed several times until on January 31st, 1957 Parliament proclaimed....."that the 2nd Monday in October"........"be a Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed.".

french beat the english?????? never....

october2005...200th anniversary of battle of trafalgar

for all those who dont know "google"

http://www.nelsonsnavy.co.uk/battle-of-trafalgar.html

enjoy

LakePirate
10-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the history lesson Siz.

My U.S. History teacher in College was British. It was very interesting to have another prospective. I found it to be quite through. Must be the way they teach history across the pond.

sorry for the threadjack, the post just reminded me of that.

jpattigr
10-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks to all for the kind thoughts, My family and I headed to our cabin for the weekend and racked leaves, drank beer, Played Poker and eat Turkey and Ham!
Awesome fall weekend!

River Rat
10-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys!

We burn a 1/2 cord here in south east Tx, so I unload 1 cord evert 2 years :dance:

River Rat
10-12-2005, 01:56 PM

My kids get the whole week off every year so I take vac and we spend the entire week at Deer Camp as a family. Some of my best memories as a kid were hunting during Thanksgiving and now I am passing that on to my children. My oldest son went into the Nuk. program for the Navy so this will be the first year we will not all be together :( :( That will be hard on all of us.

Oh and happy Thanksgiving

NeilM
10-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanksgiving - time to winterize the boat, blow out the sprinklers, eat Turkey..

Sizzler - thanks for the reminder on why we do this.

André- give the back a rest. Sorry to hear about Nathalie. I've been 'off' for far too long..

André
10-12-2005, 10:50 PM
We burn a 1/2 cord here in south east Tx, so I unload 1 cord evert 2 years :dance:
Sure,rub it in! ;)
Delivery truck came again ,5 more cords.
I'll probably run out in mid March... :eek:

sizzler
10-13-2005, 03:53 AM
Thanksgiving - time to winterize the boat, blow out the sprinklers, eat Turkey..

Sizzler - thanks for the reminder on why we do this.

no probs neil......glad to be of service :friday:

erkoehler
10-13-2005, 04:28 AM
Got any help for us over on the SS thread??? :D

sizzler
10-13-2005, 04:31 AM
getting cold over here eric......might send a few pics of me in my speedos :firejump:

André
10-13-2005, 05:25 AM
getting cold over here eric......might send a few pics of me in my speedos :firejump:
Please don't do that! :moon:
Good morning Sizz!

sizzler
10-13-2005, 05:32 AM
morning andre.........glass waters this morning???

André
10-13-2005, 05:35 AM
morning andre.........glass waters this morning???
Probably,can't tell since it's still dark!!!
Pager went off just past midnight,had to go to work and just got home.