PDA

View Full Version : 03 x2 hard ballasts will not fill

TNstevo
07-09-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm new to ballast, but have 2 hard ballasts in my 03 x2. Tried to fill them today, and while I could hear motors running, they never filled. I remember dealer saying these erly x2's had ballast/pump issues and you sometimes had to run in reverse to prime them. I rode around in backwards circles several minutes, as well as forward up to 10 mph or so, And I never could get them to take on water. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance!

wheelerd
07-10-2013, 02:03 AM
I don't know about your 03 but my 05 has an inline valve in the inlet hose that supplies the ballast manifold (which in turn supplies each of the pumps.) Check to see if you have a similar valve and if so, be sure it is open.

willg
07-10-2013, 02:05 AM
On my boat, which I believe is almost identical to yours, the ballast fill is on the bottom of the hull, with a small scoop facing forward. Regardless, the jabsco pumps/impellers that come factory are self priming and mine have never had a problem priming. I would check your thru-hull valve (I know its obvious, but still). Then check the impellers. To do so:Take off the carpeted panels at the back of the rear storage compartments, then disconnect the hoses on the pump. Flip the pump over and remove the three brass screws on the pump. Remove the cover to see the impeller.

My best bet is that your one of your impellers has broken apart and pieces have been sucked up by the other impeller, causing both to fail.

JRW160
07-10-2013, 11:14 AM
The raw water pickup is a forward facing scoop. The ballast pickup is just a screen. It should be the same as mine below. I can't remember if there is a cutoff between it and the manifold. The manifold is on the port side under the engine.

I've never had a problem with my pumps priming. My guess would be that your impellers are both toast. They are probably the stock black ones, and if you run those dry, they come apart pretty quickly. If you buy new ones, make sure you get the green ones.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ydqis1Nitqw/UHHqAO71t5I/AAAAAAABL4k/P7WslXqK1hY/s640/IMG_20121007_133021.jpg