PDA

View Full Version : Wedding presents

lukedeuce
07-08-2013, 02:59 PM
I was asked today by my fiancÚ what I would like from her as a wedding present...and I drew a blank. I just can't think of much anything that I need/want that I don't already have. We live pretty simple lives and don't need much luxury other than the 83 S&S and the Harley.

I thought about a wake surf, but with the S&S, I know the wake wouldn't be ideal, dare I say impossible to surf without rope?? I just started skiing again, so I have a newish pair of combos and my dads old Connelly slalom. Due to genetics, my knees wouldn't be able to handle a kneeboard.

We're keeping presents inexpensive so we have more to give to our wedding party - around $300.

Anyone out there have ideas???

Traxx822
07-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Forget what you are getting, what did you get her? I have to get my bride to be a gift too. We're getting married end of August.
I guess I would want some new vests. Or new wetsuit.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Jason.H.
07-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Get the harley davidson t shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the ***** fell off" lol jk. Congrats. I didn't get a wedding present from my wife?!?!

lukedeuce
07-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Traxx, jewelry man. Always jewelry. Pearl necklace that she has been eyeing for awhile.

And before you say anything guys, get your mind outta the gutter:rolleyes:

Jason- I had that shirt, thinking about it. Haven't seen it in a few years...right about the time I started dating her. ....Wait a minute......

gweaver
07-08-2013, 04:13 PM
$300- stuff to clean/wax the boat? new head unit/speakers? gift cert for local boat store? remote control boat for goofing around? weber kettle grill, some charcoal and some good steaks?
G

fskof
07-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Wait a minute... You have to buy your bride to be a wedding gift? I thought the ring was the gift. Now I can see why weddings are getting SO EXPENSIVE!
I would get her jewelry. You can never go wrong with jewelry.

ski_king
07-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Its the gift you keep on giving.....

A grill is a good idea for you. For her, a Chamilia Braclet. Then you can always buy her a charm for her birthday, etc.

jk13
07-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Where in the midwest? Drysuit maybe?

I've wanted an O'Neill Boost for a while now. It was around $400 last time I looked.

TxsRiverRat
07-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I was asked today by my fiancÚ what I would like from her as a wedding present...and I drew a blank. Anyone out there have ideas???

How about a pre-nuptial agreement?

pmkkdx
07-08-2013, 05:14 PM
ok, I feel old right about now ... this Sunday will be our 35th wedding anniversary ...

on the serious side ... IMHO, whatever you give/get, it is each other's wedding present, it should be something that you will keep the rest of your life to remember that day and committment to each other. Not something consumable that will be gone in short order ... doesn't have to be overly expensive, but something that will last. For her, jewelry, possibly pearls are a nice touch. not something worn often but classy when needed for a special occassions. I am drawing a blank for something for her to give you of similar lasting other than a nice dressy watch.

lav
07-08-2013, 05:22 PM
+1
Without it .50 of every dollar you make after you say I do is hers
That is when the ex got her gift. at the divorce, half the house,boat,truck,pension an everything I earned while we where married

Good luck
:)
:rolleyes:

fskof
07-08-2013, 05:25 PM

LOL !!!

Traxx822
07-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Mandatory me and my fiance have a prenup because of the business. Dam right son.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

lukedeuce
07-08-2013, 06:03 PM
i've already got her's picked out and purchased....im not a big watch wearer

TayMC197
07-09-2013, 01:14 PM
I got a go to hell look when I mentioned pre-nup to the girlfriend.

Traxx822
07-09-2013, 01:23 PM

I must be a better salesmen :cool:

mzimme
07-09-2013, 01:37 PM

OR she brings home the bacon and is protecting herself from YOU... ;):D

TxsRiverRat
07-09-2013, 02:57 PM

I am of the opinion that most women would be much more hesitant to walk down the aisle if there was not future financial security or a big payoff to be had in the end should it dissolve.

The way to approach it is to explain it that if someone was marrying you for YOU, the'd sign it, otherwise they're marrying for the security blanket.

Amen and Amen

Traxx822
07-09-2013, 03:17 PM
OR she brings home the bacon and is protecting herself from YOU... ;):D

I wish it was that way. Unfortunately for her, my company pays her paycheck.

In order to keep the business I started safe I approached it the same way TRR said. I said I started this business before I met you. You are marrying me for me. And You will sign a prenup. If you don't I will run this company into the ground so fast you will be begging the judge to give me your half.

:D

TayMC197
07-09-2013, 03:21 PM

I pretty much said if its love, then what the hell does it matter. It protects family assets and pre established assets only. Anything obtained during marriage is split.

She said she just thought that was weird. I told her its just smart. Wasn't a deal breaker. I just didn't church up my delivery lol

TxsRiverRat
07-09-2013, 03:33 PM
I pretty much said if its love, then what the hell does it matter. It protects family assets and pre established assets only

1. Why are you talking marriage with someone you just met anyways? ;)

Anything obtained during marriage is split.

2. Not if you do it right...

Remember guys, the family courts still think it's the 1950s (seriously)... Daddy works, mommy stays at home and cooks cleans, laundry and makes babies....

Prenup would have to be the best wedding gift for any man

I Win :D

chriscraftmatt1976
07-09-2013, 03:49 PM

I'm gonna take my wife for every penny she's worth!

TayMC197
07-09-2013, 04:18 PM
1. Why are you talking marriage with someone you just met anyways? ;)

2. Not if you do it right...

Remember guys, the family courts still think it's the 1950s (seriously)... Daddy works, mommy stays at home and cooks cleans, laundry and makes babies....

Prenup would have to be the best wedding gift for any man

I Win :D

Long story!! Lol

aquaman
07-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Women marry for security and love.....a pre-nup is security for guys in case the Love leaves. :rolleyes:

Like insurance for your boat, if you dont ever need it, great.

If you do need it you will be glad you have it.

Traxx822
07-09-2013, 04:32 PM
I will say this about wedding presents. I'm getting married to my girfriend of going on 8 years end of this coming August.

And I just checked our gift registry online. Man are we getting a ton of gifts.

Is it bad to know what people already bought you before you open it because the info is available online?

chriscraftmatt1976
07-09-2013, 04:39 PM
You aren't gonna post your registry here? Or should we all chip in on a new X star?

Traxx822
07-09-2013, 04:47 PM
You aren't gonna post your registry here? Or should we all chip in on a new X star?

Would prefer a X25 actually. Or maybe the new X46

TayMC197
07-09-2013, 04:52 PM

Can you do your registry at the ATM?

milkmania
07-09-2013, 05:38 PM
New wife wants an XD-40 like mine pictured...
I think I'll get her an XD-9, since she's still got a lot more plinking to do:rolleyes:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/DeniseGun_zps6a5dfa38.jpg?t=1373405654

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lukedeuce
07-09-2013, 06:05 PM

Wait a minute....shouldn't the master craft fund you guys start go to the original poster?!?!

TxsRiverRat
07-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Wait a minute....shouldn't the master craft fund you guys start go to the original poster?!?!

Did you register for that? :D

pmikler
07-09-2013, 09:23 PM
ok, I feel old right about now ... this Sunday will be our 35th wedding anniversary ...

on the serious side ... IMHO, whatever you give/get, it is each other's wedding present, it should be something that you will keep the rest of your life to remember that day and committment to each other. Not something consumable that will be gone in short order ... doesn't have to be overly expensive, but something that will last. For her, jewelry, possibly pearls are a nice touch. not something worn often but classy when needed for a special occassions. I am drawing a blank for something for her to give you of similar lasting other than a nice dressy watch.

Plus 1 on this. For example I love to cook and my 3 favorite things in the Kitchen are the Shun knives my wife bought me and the cast iron skillets that each of my grandmothers gave me. My Grandmothers are gone but i think about them every time I pull them out and i think of my wife every time I am admiring how those knives cut. Ill have them forever.

Now excuse me while i go do something manly that involves not sharing feelings.

TxsRiverRat
07-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Now excuse me while i go do something manly that involves not sharing feelings.

Which magazine? Hahahaha :D