PDA

View Full Version : New Slalom Skier

LisaJ
07-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Well...for my 50th birthday last week I got my 1st Slalom Ski. I started wakeboarding last year and I absolutely love it. The problem is I try to do too much for my age and have ended up with some nasty falls jumping the wake. So, we thought I'd be safer on a ski instead.

I usually wakeboard real early in the mornings...when I jumped in the water to put my board on...my family opened up a seat and tossed the beautiful HO Ski into the water. I was SO reluctant to give it a try...scared I couldn't pull up with both feet in the bindings...but guess what....our Mastercraft pulled me out so smooth...I LOVED IT as well. Now I'm chomping at the bit to get onto the slalom course. But first....I guess I better learn the basics. I felt real comfortable by the 3rd day and working both sides of the boat. Just wondering if anybody has any good links for me to view about the basics of body position and learning to make turns correctly.

The clock is ticking and I don't waste valuable time....LOL ;)

Ben
07-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Welcome. Hopefully you get hooked. Skiing seems easier on the body than Wakeboarding. Different kind of fun.

Another option, given your location, would be to swing by Coble ski school for a few tips / lessons. If you can get right up, this would be a great way to get form tips from the get-go.
Looks like you are very close, very jealous.

d2jp
07-08-2013, 08:03 PM
If you can get some quality instruction from the beginning, that would be the best thing you could ever possibly do. Learn proper technique before bad habits become muscle memory. Not from a video, but feedback from a coach, school or very experienced skier, especially if you are seriously considering course skiing or competition slalom.

I don't know if it's any easier on the body.....but sure is fun!

mikeg205
07-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Yes +1 - get a few lessons and grab as much water time as you can... :) --- on my 3rd full season slaloming... welcome and congrats... which ho ski did you get?

88 PS190
07-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Drills!

Slalom is a fluid set of linked actions - learning the drills and how/what they are intended to teach and where they link together will make the course work for you instead of beat you up.

mikeg205
07-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Hey 88 when is drill time.... ;)

JMLVMI
07-08-2013, 10:30 PM
You are super close to Coble Ski School, which is one of the most respected schools in the industry. They may have some limited availability later in the season as they stay super busy. I am going to a one-day lesson on September 7th.

Next weekend is the NC State Championships at Coble, I would go check it out! http://ncwaters.ipower.com/StateEventorder.pdf

Other resources:
http://www.ncwaterskiers.com/
http://www.intleague.com/
http://www.usawaterski.org/

Also, there is a group of us who ski on Harris Lake near Holly Springs/Sanford at least once a week, send me a PM if you're interested in joining us sometime.

88 PS190
07-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Dunno - we gotta ski together sometime - for you being all of 20 minutes south on I-55 we'll have to make it happen.

Where's this SW Chicago waterski group and why cannot any of us meet up ever?

LisaJ
07-09-2013, 08:31 AM
WOW--didn't know about this Coble Ski School. And I only live 20 minutes from it. I've got to sign up for some lessons. I loved reading all the feedback from yesterday. It's nice to hear some positive feedback instead of my family/friends saying....."you're 50 years old...who starts doing slalom courses at 50????"

I can already tell that I will find slalom to be both challenging and rewarding!

Can't wait for more water time this weekend!

mikeg205
07-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Dunno - we gotta ski together sometime - for you being all of 20 minutes south on I-55 we'll have to make it happen.

Where's this SW Chicago waterski group and why cannot any of us meet up ever?

The ski group hasn't happened yet... the weather was so lame this year so far.

both my kids are going away this august to college and we have a vacation coming at end of month... So I am hoping to get one going in august... but I have to pick a date - maybe we could do Labor Day... if the weather holds up. Or sooner..

88 PS190
07-09-2013, 09:51 AM
WOW--didn't know about this Coble Ski School. And I only live 20 minutes from it. I've got to sign up for some lessons. I loved reading all the feedback from yesterday. It's nice to hear some positive feedback instead of my family/friends saying....."you're 50 years old...who starts doing slalom courses at 50????"

I can already tell that I will find slalom to be both challenging and rewarding!

There are some pretty remarkable pictures of the transformation that skiing can do for the positive on the body - just learn to do it right to start with.

mikeg205
07-09-2013, 10:26 AM

I talked to my doctor about it and he said go for it... I said - I can't find many friends my age doing it... he said - get younger friends... so I did.. ;) :) - 20 minutes from Coble - I hate you... :)

LaRue
07-09-2013, 11:25 AM
I am 48 and just started taking some lessons in order to ski through the course for the first time. I have been open water-skiing since i was a teenager and last year decided to pursue the goal of becoming a more fundamentally sound skier with the hope of that leading to skiing through a course.

I love the challenge. I don't like coming face to face with the truth that I have some extremely poor habits.

Press on!!

LisaJ
07-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Oh my gosh!!! Ya'll have got me SO pumped that I can hardly concentrate to work (which I have to do to afford my expensive hobbies). I saw where Cobble Ski School has a camp just for women in September. That seems like forever...September. I emailed them to ask if I could take some private lessons if they have any slots available. Watch out ya'll....Here's come a "fiddy" year old new ski'er!

mikeg205
07-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Just tell work you're on the other line... ;)

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g377/mgorczak/onotherline.jpg (http://s1098.photobucket.com/user/mgorczak/media/onotherline.jpg.html)

mikeg205
07-09-2013, 12:46 PM
I am 48 and just started taking some lessons in order to ski through the course for the first time. I have been open water-skiing since i was a teenager and last year decided to pursue the goal of becoming a more fundamentally sound skier with the hope of that leading to skiing through a course.

I love the challenge. I don't like coming face to face with the truth that I have some extremely poor habits.

Press on!!

I got back into slalom at age 49... after just dabbling years ago... I too take lessons... need to find time to hit liquid edge - and darn it... wade cox there this week end and I am away...

You can stay out late and practice tooo ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v10RuQRHwPc

mikeg205
07-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Just ordered up my lesson for next Tuesday... :) You're turn Lisa and I am 53...

LisaJ
07-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Watched your video...awesome....I've signed up for a week of camp....can't wait.

Ben
07-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Serious slalom Skiing for sure is a great workout and fun. I'm just under 40 but the guys i ski w the most are 56 and 65ish.

Keep going till you fall apart.... Then get a brace or new parts and keep going again.

The only negative is you may get addicted and want to convert from the v drive boat to direct drive.... (A good thing). Especially after skiing at ski school.

mikeg205
07-09-2013, 04:32 PM
oooo - I just scored a lesson with Wade Cox Friday at Liquid Edge - too exciting... You gotta post up video Lisa... that's the rule or it didn't happen... gettin' my camera ready for Friday... :)

LaRue
07-09-2013, 04:37 PM
I was blessed to receive two lessons last year from Wade. Great time. Enjoy.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/10/sadanapu.jpg

Willski
07-09-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm jealous Mike. I saw Wade was there this weekend. I just don't think it would be worth my going as I haven't skied yet this year, and I'm sure my form and stamina are horrible right now!

mikeg205
07-09-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm jealous Mike. I saw Wade was there this weekend. I just don't think it would be worth my going as I haven't skied yet this year, and I'm sure my form and stamina are horrible right now!

I am always willing to share what I learn... I was coaching to my level the last couple of weekends.... :) --- let me know when you're going out.... and if you need a third... ;)

D3skier
07-09-2013, 09:27 PM
boy what I wouldn't do right now just to get the ski wet... brand new bindings and ski and never used them... still waiting for the knee to heal a little longer then back to the tennis courts but still searching for that 195 in my price range/area

JMLVMI
07-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Was a beautiful night here once the storms were gone but too late to find a ski buddy. Had to watch an 80 calm night pass by well away from the lake :(

LisaJ
07-10-2013, 09:23 AM
I definitely have ski fever bad. I was thinking about how nice it would be to ski before I drove into work this morning. I can not wait to get back to the lake Friday evening to jump back on that new ski and start some drills!!!! Watch out ya'll!

mikeg205
07-10-2013, 10:25 AM
game on Lisa... did you sign up for lessons yet? ;)

mikeg205
07-10-2013, 10:26 AM
I was blessed to receive two lessons last year from Wade. Great time. Enjoy.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/10/sadanapu.jpg

Great - I will post my pic as well... Now Lisa will have to Post a picture with April - ok.. there's the smack down... ;)

LisaJ
07-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Even better...signed up for an entire week of boot camp! LOL Told you...I've got the fever.

mikeg205
07-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Even better...signed up for an entire week of boot camp! LOL Told you...I've got the fever.

we expect updates... don't forget the Advil... ;)

TxsRiverRat
07-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Don't embarrass yourself by falling around the island! D'oh!

mikeg205
07-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Don't embarrass yourself by falling around the island! D'oh!

or skiing into it...lol... :D

Kweisner
07-22-2013, 08:10 PM
I too am 5-0 and got up on a single ski for the first time in my life this weekend. After many previous failures, I was really thinking I wasn't going to sort out the start and have to be happy with the wakeboard. At any rate, my boat and ski mentor, Bill, got me up on my third try--he was able to pick apart the mechanics of what I was doing wrong and set me right. Can't wait to get back out and start working it! There is no substitute for lessons from someone that really knows what's going on.

Ben
07-22-2013, 09:02 PM
I too am 5-0 and got up on a single ski for the first time in my life this

You sure have the right boat for it.

Where do you ski?

JMLVMI
07-22-2013, 09:17 PM
I too am 5-0 and got up on a single ski for the first time in my life this weekend. After many previous failures, I was really thinking I wasn't going to sort out the start and have to be happy with the wakeboard. At any rate, my boat and ski mentor, Bill, got me up on my third try--he was able to pick apart the mechanics of what I was doing wrong and set me right. Can't wait to get back out and start working it! There is no substitute for lessons from someone that really knows what's going on.

If you're looking for a ski buddy, send a PM to D3skier...he's in the Charotte area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Kweisner
07-22-2013, 09:30 PM
You sure have the right boat for it.

Where do you ski?

We usually go to Mtn Island Lake--seems like the best water for our little boat. Love the 197, and now will be able to use it as intended!

Kweisner
07-22-2013, 09:31 PM
If you're looking for a ski buddy, send a PM to D3skier...he's in the Charotte area.

Thanks--made contact just last week!