PDA

View Full Version : Forward engage at high rpm's

J. Greene
07-07-2013, 06:22 PM
I have a 89 Prostar 190, it has been sitting for at least 5 yrs. Problem is that it will only engage forward if I rev to 1500 to 2000 rpm's (Slammm). Reverse works fine and it does it with the shift linkage off and I shift by hand only forward still has to be rev'd. I rebuilt the transmisson all new plates clutches sealing rings orings and seals. Found the forward/reverse adaptor was full of sediment (packed in) cleaned and installed new sealing rings also found the control valve had a regulator valve frozen in place finally got it out and completely cleaned and made sure it was moving freely, hoped this was the problem but after re-installing the trans. same problem but here is the KICKER, if I get it in gear she runs great and I can pull shift lever back towards neutral but not all the way and the boat comes to a stop, or the propeller may barely be moving and doesnt have enough rotation to move the boat then shift back to forward and it is smooth as silk again and again. But as soon as I shift all the way to neutral and back to forward I have to rev again. I have not checked pressures yet I was hoping someone may have some comments on my problem. Let me know if i may have left off some important info for diagnoses.