PDA

View Full Version : car issue - blown engine, what to do

wtrskr
07-06-2013, 01:40 AM
I was driving down the interstate and something didn't feel right, then the engine started knocking. I pulled over, shut it down, and I believe it ran out of oil. Added oil and eventually got it to start again but it's really knocking.

It is a clean '01 honda civic with 150k miles.

First, Is the bottom end probably junk? The temp gauge didn't go up, which surprises me.

If the engine is done for, it is in a parking lot right now and trying to figure out the best course of action.

Sell it on Craigslist for next to nothing?
Tow it to a junkyard for scrap? (new tires on it)
Bring it to a dealership for a trade in?

If it was just the head or something like that, I'd probably buy another less-used car, and maybe could do a little project with this one to get it running before selling.

Cloaked
07-06-2013, 06:07 AM
I was driving down the interstate and something didn't feel right, then the engine started knocking. I pulled over, shut it down, and I believe it ran out of oil. Added oil and eventually got it to start again but it's really knocking.

First, Is the bottom end probably junk? The temp gauge didn't go up, which surprises me.

If the engine is done for, it is in a parking lot right now and trying to figure out the best course of action.

If it was just the head or something like that, I'd probably buy another less-used car, and maybe could do a little project with this one to get it running before selling.
150k miles on that engine is nothing. My 98 commuter Honda just turned 282k. I'd get a mechanic to diagnose it and fix it. Even dropping in a rebuild or a junkyard find is OK unless you're just over the 91 model. It has a certain value regardless of the condition.

Good luck.

wtrskr
07-06-2013, 08:35 AM
150k miles on that engine is nothing. My 98 commuter Honda just turned 282k. I'd get a mechanic to diagnose it and fix it. Even dropping in a rebuild or a junkyard find is OK unless you're just over the 91 model. It has a certain value regardless of the condition.

Good luck.

I was thinking I had a lot more miles on her, but it must have been burning oil or something because there have been no leaks on my driveway (boat gets the garage for the summer). I pulled over thinking I had a belt issue or something rubbing on the tire. Everything look okay so I got back on the interstate, which was a bad choice.

If it is making a pretty loud knocking noise is there anything else to diagnose?

I'm planning on getting one of those tow dolly's from uhaul, just figuring out where to take it. Any idea how much an engine from a junkyard would cost?

Cloaked
07-06-2013, 09:08 AM
I was thinking I had a lot more miles on her, but it must have been burning oil or something because there have been no leaks on my driveway (boat gets the garage for the summer). I pulled over thinking I had a belt issue or something rubbing on the tire. Everything look okay so I got back on the interstate, which was a bad choice.

If it is making a pretty loud knocking noise is there anything else to diagnose?

I'm planning on getting one of those tow dolly's from uhaul, just figuring out where to take it. Any idea how much an engine from a junkyard would cost?I think you can find a decent junkyard engine for $2K or less. Place I deal with here in Knoxville quoted me $2800 for a junkyard engine (they would test it before install) including labor.

Hard telling what the issue is at this point. An engine wrencher may be able to diagnose and repair somewhere along the way. The Honda place I use said they stopped using the Jasper Re-mans because Jasper basically would not honor their own warranty program. So the shop stopped using their products.

I have known many Honda users to get over 300K with a few repairs along the way. However the 91 Civic may not hold it's return value (to you) in lieu of that repair money going toward a later used model.

I hope you find this post useful......

JimN
07-06-2013, 09:23 AM

Did you follow the recommended service intervals and parts replacement? One site I went to said the timing belt needs replacement at 110K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first and another added that it should be replaced at 60K miles if the car is driven in extremely hot (110F) or cold (-20F) climate. However, if it was ingesting oil, you should have seen evidence of this, either in smoky exhaust, fouled plugs and dark sooty deposits at the exhaust pipe ends.Look at the engine and the undercarriage- do you see oil on the engine, transmission or anything else?

wtrskr
07-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Did you follow the recommended service intervals and parts replacement? One site I went to said the timing belt needs replacement at 110K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first and another added that it should be replaced at 60K miles if the car is driven in extremely hot (110F) or cold (-20F) climate. However, if it was ingesting oil, you should have seen evidence of this, either in smoky exhaust, fouled plugs and dark sooty deposits at the exhaust pipe ends.Look at the engine and the undercarriage- do you see oil on the engine, transmission or anything else?

Do you think it could be timing belt related? I did change it, but went until 120k miles.

The car is in a parking lot right now about an hour a way (Madison) so I can't take a look at it. I changed the spark plugs about a year and a half ago and they looked fine, I think. I've done little things on my own here and there so it hasn't been into the shop in a while. Last time was at a technical college to get the AC fixed.

It doesn't get near as much love as my boat, but it gets the oil changed regularly and if anything pops up it gets fixed.

Something hasn't felt quite right about it but not bad enough that I thought it needed to be taken in. Just seemed like there was a little too much friction or something, that was even after an oil change.

Cloaked
07-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Do you think it could be timing belt related? I did change it, but went until 120k miles.

The car is in a parking lot right now about an hour a way (Madison) so I can't take a look at it. I changed the spark plugs about a year and a half ago and they looked fine, I think. I've done little things on my own here and there so it hasn't been into the shop in a while. Last time was at a technical college to get the AC fixed.

It doesn't get near as much love as my boat, but it gets the oil changed regularly and if anything pops up it gets fixed.

Something hasn't felt quite right about it but not bad enough that I thought it needed to be taken in. Just seemed like there was a little too much friction or something, that was even after an oil change.If the timing belt is broken, it will not start. Possible that the timing gear jumped time and it will run rough (at best) but the knocking is not likely from a timing issue. Change at 120K is OK as long as it didn't break and cause a backlash. I think the timing issue is a minimal consideration (but I am not an engine expert).

I'd get someone that knows Honda engines to look into it and diagnose it and go from there. They are pretty simple engines. I am lucky to have an exclusive Honda repair service available. They know them inside out (thus my reference to a Honda repair place).

Best of luck....

TxsRiverRat
07-06-2013, 10:24 AM
It sounds to me that you spun a rod bearing... Try calling LKQ Auto Parts -@ (800) 442-1031

They hooked me up with a gently used transmission for my old 4runner, shipped to my mechanic for $1100... Then I paid them 650 for the install.

JimN
07-06-2013, 10:29 AM

Something hasn't felt quite right about it but not bad enough that I thought it needed to be taken in. Just seemed like there was a little too much friction or something, that was even after an oil change.

If it seemed to be fighting something, it should have been checked out immediately. I agree- you may have spun a bearing or something but if it was low on oil, there's no apparent explanation for it at this time.

HartlandX1
07-06-2013, 10:34 AM
My dad had a 2000 civic that he sold to my sisters bf, that just crossed over 300k with only normal maintenance. What did you forget to do?

ski_king
07-06-2013, 10:41 AM
A friend of mine recently ran his Honda about the same year low on oil and toasted it. He managed to pick up an engine from a junk yard for $400 and had a mechanic friend help him swap it out. Not sure how it worked out as he traded it in 3 weeks later.

I learned the hard way to have AAA to cover towing any car that is out of factory warranty. At least with that you could have got it towed home to give it a good look over and work out your options.

wtrskr
07-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

At one point the AC clutch fell off, and around that time is when I thought it seemed like it had too much friction. I thought it was probably from the bad A/C clutch slowing the belt. I had that replaced and it still didn't seem right. But I had others drive it and didn't comment that it felt weird so thought I was just being picky.

I hear how great these Civics are but I had the alternator go bad at one point, the A/C, the catalytic converter came apart from the muffler. My old dodge stratus held up better. Could be the luck of the draw but more likely something I did or didn't do.

I'll look rod bearing and what that means. I'm leaning toward getting a new car, just need to decide the best way to get the value out of it from selling/trading in/salvaging. Its clean.

Thx.

clrussell
07-06-2013, 11:03 AM
If it was me I would sell it as is on craigslist or something along those line.. If you scrap it/ salvage it your prolly gonna get $500 maximum. Sell it to someone on cl with it known it has engine issues, but also post it's clean, if the trans is in good shape, has new tires etc. you could probably get 1000-1500 for it to someone who fixes cars and resales em.. I doubt anywhere will give decent trade in anyway.

wtrskr
07-06-2013, 11:30 AM
If it was me I would sell it as is on craigslist or something along those line.. If you scrap it/ salvage it your prolly gonna get $500 maximum. Sell it to someone on cl with it known it has engine issues, but also post it's clean, if the trans is in good shape, has new tires etc. you could probably get 1000-1500 for it to someone who fixes cars and resales em.. I doubt anywhere will give decent trade in anyway.

helpful info. Wasn't sure if there are many guys out there that buy/sell fix or not, and if they tend to pay more or less than salvage places would. I think I'd feel pretty good if I got of 1K for it.

Off to go look at cars right now. Hopefully will find something, then can pick up the Civic and deal with it.

$45 for a day rental of a trailer dolly which isn't too bad. Already had to tow it off the interstate to a park and lot that was right there though. Went that route because it bought me some time to consider options.

Thx!

Lars
07-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Bummer to hear, 01 civic with 150k is barely broken in. My 04 accord has about 160 on the clock.

I would hesitate to trade in, how long have you owned it? If you've had it a long time and taken good care of it you're better off spending $$ for one big repair that will keep it going for a while. I had to rebuild my trans in my accord at 110k but have had nothing but regular maintenance since then. Was upset at the $2500 bill at the time, but 4 years later I feel that its easier to deal with one big problem then a lot of little ones.

TxsRiverRat
07-06-2013, 01:22 PM
No offense, but I have totally lost faith in Honda as a brand. I do not believe they're worth the "premium" prices they seem to get... Ypu think because its a Honda its a great, low maintenence car? BS... I've owned 3 hondas, and I can say after the last one, NEVER again.

91 civic: a ROCK on wheels - indestructible - awesome car

93 Accord: Pretty darned good - not as good as the 91 civic

03 S2000: I lump it into the same category as my 1 american car experience: 96 chevy blazer - P O S...

So who makes the best vehicles? Hands down toyota, I've owned 2 toyotas and between then had 400K almost maintenence free miles.

SP Maristar
07-06-2013, 03:02 PM
03 S2000: I lump it into the same category as my 1 american car experience: 96 chevy blazer - P O S...

Blasphemy!! Stone him!!

But Seriously folks. We have had a 1990 Accord, 2010 Civic, and now the 2000 S2000. All have been flawless for us. I am a huge Honda and Toyota fan. Sounds like your S wasn't so good. Bummer.

HartlandX1
07-07-2013, 01:42 AM
Expand on the s2000 issues.

wtrskr
07-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Well got her back to the house using a trailer dolly from Uhaul. Getting it loaded was difficult though because the engine killed before I could drive it up. Right after it killed, oil started spilling on the ground.

It was a lot of oil and seemed like it could have been more than I put in after the engine killed the first time. Its hard to say if it really did run out of oil while driving on the freeway or not because I checked it while the engine was still very hot.

Got some interest from buyers which is good. Still have to load pictures and find some time to show it to people.

JimN
07-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Well got her back to the house using a trailer dolly from Uhaul. Getting it loaded was difficult though because the engine killed before I could drive it up. Right after it killed, oil started spilling on the ground.

It was a lot of oil and seemed like it could have been more than I put in after the engine killed the first time. Its hard to say if it really did run out of oil while driving on the freeway or not because I checked it while the engine was still very hot.

Got some interest from buyers which is good. Still have to load pictures and find some time to show it to people.

Sounds like a main seal could have gone away.

TxsRiverRat
07-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Expand on the s2000 issues.

Blasphemy!! Stone him!!

But Seriously folks. We have had a 1990 Accord, 2010 Civic, and now the 2000 S2000. All have been flawless for us. I am a huge Honda and Toyota fan. Sounds like your S wasn't so good. Bummer.

Don't get me wrong, the s2000 was a fun car to own, I just have never replaced an engine and AC system (google ac black death) in under 50K miles.

CruisinGA
07-08-2013, 09:35 AM
I had a 2002 Civic EX when I was commuting 120miles round trip every day.

It had the V-tec. It blew the headgasket at 220k miles. Apparently this is a very common failure on this engine.

Local honda-only shop installed a junkyard engine with 80k miles for $2200 all said and done. I immediately sold it.

wtrskr
07-08-2013, 11:51 PM
How long ago was that CruisinGA? Considering my '01 is now a pretty old car I'm guessing me spending $2200 and then selling wouldn't pay off vs. just selling as is.

I predict that someone buys mine, adds low profile tires, tints the windows, and puts a new souped up engine in it with a loud aftermarket exhaust system.

CruisinGA
07-09-2013, 07:35 AM
June 2012

rjracin240
07-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Those Honda's are made for the mechanic to work if they ever need to be worked on, bought my 97 civic with a blown motor for $1000 bought a JDM motor for 750 and put it in myself. Basically have a Civic worth $2500 all day long that I have put about 100,000 miles on and can sell it for more than what I have into it.

Check Craigslist, to see what they are going for and try and sell it as is. Scrapping it would be a mistake and a loss of money.
If you decide to fix it here is a link for reasonable priced engines
http://www.japanengine.com/products/prodDetails.asp?pID=461&category=27&subcategory=589&size=0&search=&page=

TayMC197
07-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Blew he manifolds off my duramax Friday. It's down for a few days. Lol

Engines can be fixed. Hang in there.

clrussell
07-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Tay what'd you do??

onewheat
07-10-2013, 01:17 AM
I wouldn't scrap it - talk to a local Honda mechanic - all the ones I worked with do a LOT of sidework and are always looking for project cars to buy too. My dog sitter just sold her Civic with 400,000 + miles on it. If you take care of them, they will last - even S2000's. They have had some A/C issues on a few models lately though - mainly CRV's and Elements though.

TayMC197
07-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Tay what'd you do??

EGR delete support bracket bent when I got on the throttle., that led to a stress on the manifold on passenger side. Crack grew to a big hole then, got on it really good and boom. Soot all in the engine bay and came out over the wind shield. I had some new performance parts anyway I've been wanting to install that would of prevented this as well. So it's favorable timing. Putting lb7 manifold and up pipes on it.

clrussell
07-10-2013, 08:28 AM
EGR delete support bracket bent when I got on the throttle., that led to a stress on the manifold on passenger side. Crack grew to a big hole then, got on it really good and boom. Soot all in the engine bay and came out over the wind shield. I had some new performance parts anyway I've been wanting to install that would of prevented this as well. So it's favorable timing. Putting lb7 manifold and up pipes on it.

Sounds awesome! I've never seen that happen to one!

Lars
07-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Tay what year is your DMAX?

TayMC197
07-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Tay what year is your DMAX?

2008 LMM,

Got it all back together. Installed my new inter cooler intake(removes inter cooler heater and bridge), mbrp turbo downpipe, new turbo up pipe(crack last one in half).. New fuel filter, bad boy runs strong again. Quick turbo response and fast acceleration. I'll get pictures..

Need a lift pump now..

Lars
07-15-2013, 07:44 PM
ahhh yissss,

Looking to trade in my land cruiser for a 01-02 dmax.

TayMC197
07-16-2013, 11:03 AM
ahhh yissss,

Looking to trade in my land cruiser for a 01-02 dmax.

I had an 02 DMax that I loved. Hosted the lift though. Other than that it was a strong running truck. I do like the 6 speed transmission in my 08.