PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Problems

Holtrodj
10-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Today when I was pulling the boat home from the lake I had to stop quickly for a red light. I hit the breaks a bit too suddenly causing the surge breaks to activate quickly. When the light turned green I noticed that the trailer was pulling hard. Come to find out that the left side wheel is locked up, but not the right side. Luckily, I was less than a mile from home, but getting the trailer in the correct spot in the garage with one wheel roling freely and the other roling very hard was no easy task.

Here are the symptoms:
1) Right wheel rolls freely. Left only rolls with two or three people pushing very hard. :eek:
2) The tounge of the trailer is not compressed as one would expect it would be for the breaks to be enganged.
3) Break system has always worked very well. Break fluid is at is recommended levels, etc.
4) The rim on the left wheel was very hot when I finally got her in the garage.
5) There was a bit of a burning smell in the air durring the situation.
6) I have bearing buddies that are well greased. (I don't think the problem is bearings)
7) The trailer is a 1996 Mastercraft trailer for a 190. It is a single axle equiped with surge breaks.

Based on these symptoms, my assumption is that the break is locked up. Has this ever happened to anyone else? How is it best fixed?

I have an apointment at Action Watersports for the boat to be winterized on the 20th, but with the wheel not moving, I'm not sure how I'd get it there. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Any help is appreciated.

PendO
10-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Never had the problem, but have read a few posts on here that have talked about this ad nauseam, I would try the "search" option (upper right on screen) on "trailer brakes" as I get 103 threads when I type this search phrase: TRAILER BRAKES

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/search.php?searchid=217785

Today when I was pulling the boat home from the lake I had to stop quickly for a red light. I hit the breaks a bit too suddenly causing the surge breaks to activate quickly. When the light turned green I noticed that the trailer was pulling hard. Come to find out that the left side wheel is locked up, but not the right side. Luckily, I was less than a mile from home, but getting the trailer in the correct spot in the garage with one wheel roling freely and the other roling very hard was no easy task.

Here are the symptoms:
1) Right wheel rolls freely. Left only rolls with two or three people pushing very hard. :eek:
2) The tounge of the trailer is not compressed as one would expect it would be for the breaks to be enganged.
3) Break system has always worked very well. Break fluid is at is recommended levels, etc.
6) I have bearing buddies that are well greased. (I don't think the problem is bearings)
7) The trailer is a 1996 Mastercraft trailer for a 190. It is a single axle equiped with surge breaks.

Based on these symptoms, my assumption is that the break is locked up. Has this ever happened to anyone else? How is it best fixed?

I have an apointment at Action Watersports for the boat to be winterized on the 20th, but with the wheel not moving, I'm not sure how I'd get it there. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Any help is appreciated.

crdickey
10-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Here is your answer. http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3742&page=5&pp=10

Here are the symptoms:

Holtrodj
10-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I saw the problem with the calipers, but these are drum breaks on an older trailer (96). Thanks for the help.

Ben
10-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Something obviously is stuck in the parts that activate the drum brake. Plugged line not releasing pressure, gunked up wheel cylinder, brake shoe overextended during your heavy braking incident & got hooked up on something, these are a few possibilities. I'd start by taking off the drum (if you can) and looking around. Another option would be to open up the bleeder valve to release any pressure that may still be on the brake. Keep in mind this may render the brakes useless, so think about that before you do it. Are you able to re-bleed the system yourself, or with a buddy?

How far are you to the dealer & what do you tow with. If you are 10 miles, pulling with a 3/4 ton truck, I wouldn't worry about brakes, go slow. If you are 75 miles pulling with the family minivan on the hwy & 2 kids on board, I may think differently...

Holtrodj
10-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Dealer's less than 10 miles. I'm thinking I'll just try to get the breaks disabled and take it over there.

Thanks Ben!