PDA

View Full Version : 95 PS190 fast idle???

Daubrey
07-04-2013, 08:28 PM
So I have run the boat for two weeks with no problem, and my brother uses the boat today and informs me the boat will not idle when he started it. After he turns it off and restarts, it worked fine. It has fresh gas, New filters, New plugs at the end of last season. Any ideas why this issue would be intermittent, and what the cause would be? This is the LT1 engine.

ricford
07-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Simple, stop lending to your brother.

mikeg205
07-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Simple, stop lending to your brother.

+1 - not his boat - may have run it very hard... probably heat soaked and ran funny for a bit...

Daubrey
07-04-2013, 10:31 PM
I agree about the lending! But it did the same for me about three hours after it had been docked. Would the high humidity have anything to do with it? It has been raining here all week and the boat seems to go out in between the rain showers!

mikeg205
07-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Could be a bad IAC... Idle air control - or Coolant temp sensor getting flakey...

skiboyny
07-05-2013, 08:24 AM
I struggled with that problem for years! Seemed to happen on high humidity days more. Very intermittent. For me it ended up being a TPS. I think they get dead spots in them from sitting. It's one of those cross your fingers moves.

JimN
07-05-2013, 09:38 AM
So I have run the boat for two weeks with no problem, and my brother uses the boat today and informs me the boat will not idle when he started it. After he turns it off and restarts, it worked fine. It has fresh gas, New filters, New plugs at the end of last season. Any ideas why this issue would be intermittent, and what the cause would be? This is the LT1 engine.

Next time it doesn't start, open the throttle a bit. If it starts after that, look into the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor. Its resistance would probably read high at ambient temperature, more than a few hundred Ohms. If it's in the K Ohm range, replace it.

If this isn't the problem, check the ground points on the engine, battery terminals and at the starter, for loose connections.

If this still doesn't help, scan for codes.